LPGA Backstopping Drama

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I ran across these videos on twitter, what do you all think?

Non issue.

tl;dw

what's the issue?

tl;dw

what's the issue?

Ball on green wasn't marked and that it was intentionally used as a backstop.

Hell of a small target from that distance to make that claim. If she's that pinpoint she should have just hit the pin lmao

I think it's a whole bunch of nothing.

Fake news !!

I guess if your looking to create an issue you can, but this is stretching it

not an issue at all. Like mentioned thats a small target and the odds of a player with the best short game on earth of hitting it exactly there is minimal.

Lucky shot! Don't see any issues. I don't think it was necessary to mark the ball in that location and where the next shot was taken from.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So lame. The odds of hitting that ball are so slim to me this is a non issue

if she is accurate enough to hit the ball next to the hole, why not just sink it?

Non issue. If Jutanugarn wanted her competitor to not have any kind of edge, she should have insisted on marking the ball prior to the other player making her chip.

I think this is the first "backstopping" incident I've seen that actually resulted in the ball being struck. I wonder if the opponent's ball, if nothing else, provided a legitimate aiming point...but given the distance it was from the pin, there didn't seem to be much to it. At that distance, it looks like you'd just as likely hit the pin as the opponent's ball.

The fist bump makes it look far more intentional/chummy than it was, but if she had hit the pin and either dropped it or left it a foot away, there still would have been some kind of "good shot" congratulations from the opponent.

I don't think she tipped enough for using the opponents ball as a backstop. Golf media needs to run 1000 stories on this asap.

Ball on green wasn't marked and that it was intentionally used as a backstop.

Hell of a small target from that distance to make that claim. If she's that pinpoint she should have just hit the pin lmao

Yeah, this "outrage" really doesn't hold up to much scrutiny. If she's good enough to use a ball as a backstop she's good enough to just aim for the pin. I suppose you could make the claim that the ball as a backstop was a backup plan for missing the pin, but I'd personally dismiss it as silly.

I watched. I thought "lucky shot". If it was intentional, why don't players use the pin as a backstop.

I think twitter is just begging for another golf scandal haha

This is a non-issue. Like @jman said, may as well just aim for the pin if you're going to intentionally slow the ball down.

I think twitter is just begging for another golf scandal haha

This is a non-issue. Like @jman said, may as well just aim for the pin if you're going to intentionally slow the ball down.

I mean, make life easy, right? lol

I get that it's a tough target to hit, but when I first thought of it I was thinking about it does create a safety net in the sense that if she thinned it and it goes running and does hit the ball, her ball ends up in a much better spot than it would have, so is it giving her an unfair advantage in relation to the field?

I get that it's a tough target to hit, but when I first thought of it I was thinking about it does create a safety net in the sense that if she thinned it and it goes running and does hit the ball, her ball ends up in a much better spot than it would have, so is it giving her an unfair advantage in relation to the field?

Nope..

No issue at all here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a huge issue! That actually improved pace of play.

My only issue is that Olson appears to instruct Jutanugarn to leave the ball in place (perhaps with the intent of using it as a back stop.)

If that's not the case, no issue.

I mean, if there was a conscious effort of collusion against the field, then I'd understand. But I don't see that given this information. This is fake golf Twitter outrage for follows and attention at its finest. I do wonder what the players have to say about it, notably Michele Wie who is right there and not involved.

Back