Getting fit for irons on Wednesday

ohthehumanity

Reaction score
Handicap
So I am finally getting fit for irons on Wednesday as part of my full bag fitting minus wedges.

I can get fir with either GCQuad, or Trackman, and I will be hitting indoors, and possible outdoors (if the snow isn't bad) to check ball flight.

I have narrowed down the search to the Apex 19, Srixon 585, and Ping G410.

So my question is, are there any mid cappers out there that have hit these and are gaming now, and what are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Great choices for sure!!! It should be easy for you to narrow down, and everyone has different views on how to make choices. So eliminating cost to remove that variable, I would go in this order if it where me:
1. Dispersion
2. Feel
3. Distance
4. Cost
The reason I put distance in there is you might be looking to pick up distance, but also feel that you can be okay be same distance as your current irons if the dispersion is tighter.
Just some thoughts. Only one I have hit is 585's and they are NICE!!!

Thanks Snickerdog.

Cost will always be an issue as I do have some Scottish in my blood, although for this purchase I am not worrying about the cost or the brand as I am truly most interested in the best fit for me.

I have hit the Apex and the 585s and liked them both, but I haven't really hit the G410s as the only time I did was in Golftown on a lunch break so I was not warmed up or anything so I cannot use that as a measuring stick.

I am going to try the Mizuno JPX 919 and Hot Metals too hopefully, so I think I should have really exhausted most of my options.

Thanks for the insight.

I am playing the 919 Hot Metals now and really like them!!!! The reason I choose them was ball speed and dispersion was excellent.

Being a low cap, did you hit the Forged 919s as well, and if so, were the HMs that much better?

Being a low cap, did you hit the Forged 919s as well, and if so, were the HMs that much better?

I did hit the Forged, I just wanted more the extra forgiveness. The HM where also longer for me. Still enough spin to hold greens without any issues. Plus lots of upgrades, shafts and grips at no cost with Mizuno.

Getting fit for irons on Wednesday

Post back here your experience and results. Will be interested to hear how it turned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it.

The Z585 and 919HM are great but didn't spin enough for me and I felt like the I210 was just as forgiving. I'd probably try the Mizuno swing DNA, maybe even on different days. I did and had completely different suggestions. I ended up going with a shaft that wasn't 1 of the top 3 either time.

So a brief update re: my iron fitting. I went in thinking Srixon and left with Mizzy Hot Metals. @Snickerdog, these irons feel amazing! It was close between the Mizzies and the Apex 19s but the Mizzies were just a little more consistent for me.

So a brief update re: my iron fitting. I went in thinking Srixon and left with Mizzy Hot Metals. @Snickerdog, these irons feel amazing! It was close between the Mizzies and the Apex 19s but the Mizzies were just a little more consistent for me.

Those are some pretty, pretty clubs. You happy with the setup?

Good to hear!! Will be looking for some feedback when you can get out to play. Congrats on the new sticks!!!

@Molten yea I’m pretty happy. I actually went 6-Gap, and I also bought two new Great Big Bertha hybrids to round out the set.

I will be updating how it goes once I can finally get out Snickerdog!

@Molten yea I’m pretty happy. I actually went 6-Gap, and I also bought two new Great Big Bertha hybrids to round out the set.

I love that you ended up with an option that wasn’t on your initial list. An open minded fitting is a successful fitting. Those GBBs should pair well with the Mizunos. Great set!

It’s funny because at the last minute before the fitting I asked to try the HMs too and I’m glad I did. We did the fitting inside on Trackman to get the numbers down and to compare my current I25s, and then we went outside to see ball flight. The Apex were good, but the Mizzies just felt really easy to hit and the feel was awesome. I got fitted into the Modus 105 shafts and they felt like a perfect pairing.

I am going to go back to get dialed in on a driver and fairway woods and then I should be ready to hopefully go lower this year.

All in all, Scott at Morgan Creek is awesome to work with.

It’s funny because at the last minute before the fitting I asked to try the HMs too and I’m glad I did. We did the fitting inside on Trackman to get the numbers down and to compare my current I25s, and then we went outside to see ball flight. The Apex were good, but the Mizzies just felt really easy to hit and the feel was awesome. I got fitted into the Modus 105 shafts and they felt like a perfect pairing.

I am going to go back to get dialed in on a driver and fairway woods and then I should be ready to hopefully go lower this year.

All in all, Scott at Morgan Creek is awesome to work with.

Glad to hear you had a successful fitting. I'm leaning heavily toward the 919 HM's myself. I know Snickerdog has spoken highly of them and I'd love to hear how they work out for you.

Hey Rebel, they have been ordered from the factory, so hopefully in the next week or so I can get out and hit them.

I guess I should also say that I chose the Lamkin Z5 grips for them. I have been playing the CP2 grips but they seem a little spongy for my liking so hopefully these grips will be what I’m looking for.

Congrats on the new sticks! I think that's one thing I regret about doing a full bag fitting - too much to go through at one time. I never even considered the Mizuno JPX919 HM irons and I know they've gotten a lot of love here.

Keep the updates coming & good luck this year!

I hear ya Grins about doing a full bag in one go. We did irons and hybrids and dabbled with fairways but I was gassed, and not swinging great at the end. I wanted to hit a driver and made a few swings but I wasn’t feeling it, so we decided I come back and get fit for driver and fairway woods. I really liked the Epic Flash 5 and 3 woods l, and am leaning toward them, but I still want to to hit the Cobra F9 and Ping G410 before I pull the trigger on the EFs.

One more thing, I was concerned about how my bag will look if I have multiple brands in the bag, but like my fitter said, if you are limiting yourself to one brand then you are missing out because you are limiting yourself to what you will fit in to. He also said, I’m not getting paid to play one brand’s equipment, so go with what gives you the best results.

Would I like to have a full uniformed bag? Yes, but I’m not sacrificing what matters, and that is my score at the end of the round.

Back