Golf Ball Help- Slower swinger looking for distance

ajschn06

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey all,

Looking at 3 feet of snow in my front yard and wondering what ball I want to play next year, looking for some help from those who have experience. I have no idea what my swing speed is- I play a regular flex shaft and carry on my good days 225-235 with my driver. Looking for max distance. Last year I played the Chrome Soft early in the year and transitioned to the Super Soft toward the end of the year. I really liked the distance I got off both of them, but the Chrome soft felt a little dead to me and the Super Soft seemed to explode off my putter. I've always like the Srixon Q-Star but did feel like I was getting more distance with the Super Soft. I don't like to go too high end so looking for something around $25-30/doz.

What am I missing? I used to play the NXT tour a lot and that was a good ball. Maybe E6 speed? Let me hear what you have?

I’m in your position too. I’m trying the ERC soft now but really like Titleist Tour Soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was on the same hunt recently and found the Noodle Easy Distance to be pretty good. Can't beat the price and that ball is pretty long on slower swing speeds for sure.

Do you have a sense of your spin rates? Especially with irons this helps.

I really don't. I had gotten some Titleist AVX over the winter and recently tried them at the sim. Felt heavy and dead off the clubface- when I went back to the Supersoft I felt it explode more and was 7-10 yards more on similar 7 irons strikes, much higher flight too. I don't have any numbers though...

I’m in your position too. I’m trying the ERC soft now but really like Titleist Tour Soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I definitely want to try the ERC.... wish they had it without the triple line...

I recently did a 9 hole ERC vs. CS test. The ERC was better in the wind for me this day, was 7-10 yards longer with irons and about 10-12 yards of carry longer off the tee with a 3W.

Srixon soft feel or Srixon Q-Star would be 2 good choice.

I recently did a 9 hole ERC vs. CS test. The ERC was better in the wind for me this day, was 7-10 yards longer with irons and about 10-12 yards of carry longer off the tee with a 3W.

That's quite an increase.

That's quite an increase.

One day sample but it was very consistently the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely want to try the ERC.... wish they had it without the triple line...
Just flip it over. Nothing on the other side, if your concern is distraction on the green.

I vote for the Bridgestone tour Rxs. Great all the round ball, and for me, longer off every club.

For me the Titleist AVX has checked every box. I love this ball. So much so, that I have started hoarding them which is rare for me. The ERC looks interesting and I am sure I will try it, but I doubt the AVX will be moved out of my bag anytime soon. These may not fit your price point however.

I am also in the same boat. Tried the Chrome Soft, Tour Soft, AXV, QStar and QStar Tour.
But at the end the Tour B RX was the best feeling and longest.
Looking to try the new E12 Soft to see if I can squeeze out a few yards from the TB RX.
Not on a budget so just looking for the longest one of the bunch.
Hope this helps.

Try the TM Project (a) - it is a seriously under-rated ball. They are long and spin like a tour ball. Thought they were only for slower swing speeds, but I was getting a full club extra out of them with a higher SS (driver is 105-110). Also seeing 7-iron spin over 7,000RPM, and they feel fantastic.

The '18 version is $35 per box, but you buy four and get one free, plus there are lots of deals on eBay. The '16 version is probably not too bad either and they can probably be scored for cheaper. I became so enamored with this ball that I sold of 60+ dozen of my Nike RZN TP's and acquired a bunch of these.

If you want to go even cheaper, there is the Project (s) which is really meant for slow swing speeds. Those are around $25/doz.

https://newsroom.taylormadegolf.com...-announces-new-project-a-project-s-golf-balls

Last edited:

I'm seeing similar distance gains especially with irons....ERC SOFT....much better than AVX ....haven't tried Titleist soft

Just flip it over. Nothing on the other side, if your concern is distraction on the green.

I’m going to end up trying it, but I need a line on my ball to putt. If I don’t get along with the alignment aid on it then I have to draw my own on the other side. Then there’s stuff everywhere on the ball and it’s a whole big thing. There’s a chance that the alignment aid really helps my putting tho, so hoping for that!

Go to the Bridgestone Web site and try the ball fitting tool. Worth a shot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

For me the Titleist AVX has checked every box. I love this ball. So much so, that I have started hoarding them which is rare for me. The ERC looks interesting and I am sure I will try it, but I doubt the AVX will be moved out of my bag anytime soon. These may not fit your price point however.

lostgolfballs.com has the AVX in 5A for $25 (white) or $30 (yellow) per dozen.

https://www.lostgolfballs.com/golf-balls.html

I would suggest you give the Wilson Staff Duo Soft's at $19.99 doz. a try. I think you would be amazed at how well they work

3 piece Urethane - Srixon Q Star Tour or Callaway Chrome Soft

2 piece ionomer - Srixon Soft Feel

Have gotten great distance from all 3 of these, and all have low/mid compression numbers for a slow-to-moderate swing speed. For only $19.99/dozen, you can't beat the Srixon Soft Feel. It's a true distance ball with incredible feel. It's the only 2 piece ball I've ever played that made me go "wow." Blows away the likes of the Callaway SuperSoft, Titleist DT TruSoft, Wilson Duo Soft, and others of this sort.

Good luck!

Q star tours always flew really far for me.

Q Stars (tours or not) or the E12 soft could be a good fit.

Back