Do you get angry about your golf?

I do a little bit internally but I have a friend that is always angry externally. It's not much fun to play with

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, did a quick search, but cannot find anything on this.
Had an instance recently, where one of my golf partners, became very angry over his golf, so much so, that he says he will never play again because he doesn't want to be angry anymore?
During the round I could see his frustration and anger building, and it did effect all others in the group.
Does anyone else get this sort of stress from golf, and if so, what do you do to combat this during a round.
And what can I say to try and help him?
I have tried a few jokes, but that never really seems to work.
How do you do a quick "de stress" during a frustrating round?
any ideas or thoughts appreciated.

i have absolutely been there. where golf stops becoming fun. i had to step back and ask myself why i'm playing in the first place? i'm not that good, so i'm not playing to hone a skill for my profession. i have only 1 other hobby and it's more expensive and makes me fat (wine!). so i had to change my perspective that golf is supposed to fun, i'm supposed to embrace the challenge and always remember that i'm just not good enough to get mad.

it's effective most of the time. sure, there are times i still get angry and frustrated with myself. but it's far less often, and the game is much more fun when i just embrace the good with the bad.

The golf course and golf is one of the rare times I am at peace.

I have a similar experience. My brain is a busy and dynamic place with no off-switch, but when I golf I only think about golf. I can get frustrated with my game but don't get angry. The challenge and continuous work to improve are part of the game's appeal to me.

When others get angry, I don't think there is much fellow golfers can do to help. I might give a couple of words of encouragement or try humor if I know the person reasonably well ("that's a peach"), but I will ultimately detach if the person doesn't come back to earth. I will not let it ruin my game. Each of us ultimately gets a finite number of rounds to play ...

If he's always angry playing, then why play? I may get frustrated with myself, but never angry. Even if I shoot a 130, It's STILL probably the best time I've had all week. The only time I get angry on the golf course is when I get interrupted by incompetent people at my job who call me for the stupidest reasons....because I HAVE to take the calls.

I used to. then one day my wife said if I don't stop getting mad about it, I'll be forbidden from playing. That, and a little (late arriving) maturity about myself and my game now allows me to not even get frustrated for more than a few seconds about a blown shot. It MAY last for the next hole, but rarely ever longer. I've realized that if I want to play well, and hit good shots, anger is a huge obstacle to getting there.

Not the game but people with no courtesy on the golf course. Been stuck behind more and more slow playing groups that freak out when you as to play through their drunken crawl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angry, no; Frustrated, absolutely!

I get frustrated in most cases never really escalated to the point of anger

I dont pay all that money to golf so i can be angry. Golf is fun, dammit!!!

I'll get frustrated when I'm playing poorly but rarely get mad anymore. It's just not worth it and definitely will make you play worse.

Last edited:
I get frustrated with my game sometimes, not angry.
Tell him to drink a beer. And maybe move to match play or a scramble type game that should allow the stress of each shot to not be so dire.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I don't show my anger physically, maybe get a little quiet, but I do get angry at myself inside. Not from poor play, but for not putting more time into certain aspects of the game.

I did when I was in my teens and 20's but that was a long time ago. I really don't even get frustrated anymore unless it's slow play, which I avoid all but once or twice a year.

I get frustrated, but rarely if ever am I mad about it.

Years ago I battled the sh**ks so bad I thought about giving the game up - thankfully the thought passed and the sh**ks went into hibernation (they still come out every so often).

I did have a golfing buddy who could hit the ball a mile, but was so inconsistent that he DID give the game up. During his last round he simply told me that he was never going to play again. After the front 9, he took his clubs to the car and drove off. He has never played golf again!

The thing that will get me angry in the course is when I can't hit my irons well. I think it's because most of my enjoyment of the game comes from well struck iron shots. When those aren't happening, I'm not having much fun.

Angry? No. Frustrated at times? Yes. When things aren't working out that usually motivates me to keep grinding so I can get more consistent.

Sadly, yes I can get angry when I'm having one of those blow up rounds. I've played infrequently for the last 10+ years, but last fall is when I really started to work on my game and care about how I was scoring. I'm pretty sure it's something that will pass as I get further along into the sport. It's 100% frustration based and just something I have to learn to deal with.

I have been angry at times but noticed that not only do I start playing worse but it ruins the enjoyment of the whole round for me. I now just try to relax after the bad shots because I still want to have fun out there.

If my game really goes off the rails during a round I will get pretty frustrated, not much you can really say to me to talk me down either.
I will say I outwardly show the anger with closer friends or regular playing partners. If I'm in an outing or paired up I reign it in and keep it to myself.

I can and it pisses me off!
YES! I am MUCH better than I was when I was younger but I can and still do get angry at myself on the course on occasion and the fact that I allow it to get to me makes me even MORE angry!

I have found that doing some stretching, pushups or making swings as hard as fast as possible helps channel the bad energy and dissipate it,

YES! I am MUCH better than I was when I was younger but I can and still do get angry at myself on the course on occasion and the fact that I allow it to get to me makes me even MORE angry!
I don't throw clubs or anything but the fact that a game I play to relax me can make me angry just makes me angrier too!

I get frustrated for sure, especially after a few week stretch of really good golf and then 1 day it's gone. I never get angry. I know it's just a bad day and it will come back.

I used to play with a guy I hooked up with one time as a single and we would play every few weeks or so. He complained from the moment he sunk the first peg in the ground until the end of the round regardless of how he was playing. On bad days he would slowly melt down until you couldn't even talk to him anymore. At first I thought it was funny, but it got old after a while and we don't play anymore. Not worth getting angry over.

Like others, for me, it's more frustration than anger. My typical response is "where's that darn cart girl, I need some lubricant." Currently, I am experiencing some health concerns which are keeping me off the course. But if and when I return, this will surely make me understand that I will have no reason for anger or frustration because I am on the course.

I'm not as bad as I use to be. I know now that since I don't practice as much, I can't expect to play at the higher level that I use to play at all the time. Don't get me wrong, then I make simple mistakes, I do get on myself but it's not at "fit" type of level, not even close.

Back