ttucliffhanger 2018 Grandaddy Fitting experience

ttucliffhanger

2024 Bag Boy Championship - Aqua Men
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So, @PhillyV took some video of part of my driver fitting while at ECPC and I wanted to share the video and writeup from my fitting since this was my first ever fitting. It was really cool to see how the fitting worked and to hear the fitter's (John) feedback based on what he was seeing and what I was doing and what I was used to. Yes there are some bad shots, haha. My swing wasn't the best that day, but the fitting was amazing and although the video is only of part of the driver fitting, I have broken down each part of the fitting in my writeup and what I was fit into. This writeup was written right after the event. Hope you all enjoy and can at least get some insight into what the fitting was like for me.

Fitting Review
Fitter: John
The fitting experience was absolutely amazing. This was my first fitting and it was very interesting to go back and forth and him listening to what was in my bag currently and what he recommended. Getting to see my numbers (Spin Rates, Launch Angles, Distances) and here what a normal range was and what the pros have for those numbers was really cool. Switching between shafts and lies on the on the drivers, fairway woods, and hybrid was really cool and was interesting to see the difference in my shot shape and numbers and watch them get into normal range just on the changes. John was an amazing fitter and he didn’t pressure me into clubs. He was very transparent with me and told me what seemed to be working and what didn’t. He asked what I had in my bag and my current setup and then suggested clubs. Below you will find my comments on each club. We started with irons, then went to driver, then fairway woods and lastly hybrid.
Driver: This driver (Callaway EPIC Flash) is hot off the face and very very forgiving. We started with the shaft I had currently in my TM M1 (Project X Black 6.0) and he asked me my settings which were half way between draw and neutral. I also told him my shot shape was a miss to the left and that I hit the ball very high and was wanting to bring my ball flight down. He immediately made some changes in the driver and then my next comment was that the driver just felt heavy. He switched to the Project X Evenflow Green 6.0 STD length 55g with -1 / D / Full Draw and it was a game changer. I then asked him about hitting a shorter shaft and how it would control ball flight. I told him I was ok losing a little distance if my dispersion was better. We tried that, and it just didn’t feel right to me, so we switched back to normal length. When you hit this driver, IT. FRICKING. GOES. FOREVER! Been awhile since I saw 275. I had lost some distance and was only hitting about 250ish with my TM driver.
Irons: This is where we started. He asked me what I currently had, which was the Callaway Steelhead XR, STD L/L/L, with TT SG XP95 and what I wanted to try. I told him I really wanted the new Apex if they worked for me and then I was ok with the new BB if the Apex didn’t work. I was just concerned about the finish wearing off, because for some reason that bothers me. Needless to say, I didn’t even try the BB because the Apex were that good. They are by far the best iron I have hit, EVER!! They are very smooth, and I gained about half a club. I was hitting my 7 iron 165 to 170 with old irons and I was consistently seeing 175ish from the Apex during the fitting and when I went to the course. I also tried the Graphite Catalyst shaft which is an option. John told me based on my swing speed I didn’t need a graphite shaft, but he wanted me to try them since I asked to see if they felt better or if it made a difference. I ended up preferring the steel shaft and was fit into the Project X LZ 95 6.0, which I absolutely love!
Fairway woods: This fitting was after the Driver. He did the driver before them, so I wasn’t worn out from swinging since I was hitting so many balls. These are hot off the face as well and go loooonnnnggg!!! My old setup was Callaway Steelhead XR 3w and Callaway 816 Alpha 5w. The new EPIC Flash FWY woods felt a lot better and a lot smoother and went longer for me. I was fit into the EPIC Flash 3w STD and EPIC Flash 5w Sub Zero along with the Project X Evenflow Green 6.0 65g shafts. Fitting for these was simple. Setup was -1 / D for the Optifit. All Project X EvenFlow Green shafts I was fit for was stock options for shafts!
GBB 4h: This thing is crazy long. I had a 4h to replace my 4iron in my current setup and that’s what he wanted to keep me in because it was comfortable to me. Setup ended up being loft: 21*, Optifit: -1 / D, Recoil UST Mamiya ZT9 470 F4. I love this thing. That shaft is a stock option btw!
Putters: I was fit into the Odyssey Doublewide Strokelab and the Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas Strokelab, both with the oversized grip. The putter fitting was very interesting. I went here first and when we first walked in Sean said, “Today you will get two putters. You will get the strokelab which you will play while here and then we will mail you a Toulon in a few months. Oh, and it has the strokelab shaft in it as well!” I putted 84% with the DoubleWide and 75% with the Las Vegas. I made more putts with the Vegas, but I was happy with both for just picking up the putters for the first time. Both felt amazing. There wasn’t a lot of difference in feel between the Whitehot Microhinge and the Toulon milling, which I really liked! This is good, because this means I can game either putter and not have to worry about adjusting and can have a consistent feel!
Grips: I went with these grips because I was having a conversation with DNevs at the wedge fitting because they felt identical to the SuperStroke S-Techs and they were my favorite grips, but our conversation consisted the big difference was how long they lasted. He told me the Lampkin UTX will outlast the S-Techs all day, which was my only gripe about the S-Techs and how fast they wore out. So this was a win for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's amazing. Great write up and what a hell of a place to go for your first fitting!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That's amazing. Great write up and what a hell of a place to go for your first fitting!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thanks. I couldn't agree more. Wish my swing was better but the clubs are amazing and with them being fit to me really has helped my game.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jon is such a great fitter and does an amazing job of taking the pressure off the situation. Looks like you got a couple good strikes in there. So jelly of the experience but extremely to hearing the excitement in your voice as you were going through the fitting.

Jon is such a great fitter and does an amazing job of taking the pressure off the situation. Looks like you got a couple good strikes in there. So jelly of the experience but extremely to hearing the excitement in your voice as you were going through the fitting.
It was pretty awesome! I wish I had been able to film the whole thing. And yes he is. Even though I had a garbage swing that day I still felt calm during the fitting. I wasn't really nervous which was surprising bc he was standing there watching me the whole time.

Yes. That looks freaking amazing. I watch guys getting fit at another big facility and it's so cool. Being able to have that one on one, under the tent with top notch guys that work for the company is amazing. Great write up and cool video. You are a lucky man. That fitting alone is priceless. Jealous. Lol. Are you teeing it up and down now?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

That was a cool video. Also, great detailed write-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great distance pick up on the driver and sounds like a lot of improvement everywhere else too! Nice write up video!

Yes. That looks freaking amazing. I watch guys getting fit at another big facility and it's so cool. Being able to have that one on one, under the tent with top notch guys that work for the company is amazing. Great write up and cool video. You are a lucky man. That fitting alone is priceless. Jealous. Lol. Are you teeing it up and down now?

I have actually been teeing it down now. Jon also recommended me stepping back from the ball a little. What's not in the video is the part where he got impact tape and we watched my impact point creep from low heel to center. Combined with the lower tee height it has helped my driving a lot.

Great distance pick up on the driver and sounds like a lot of improvement everywhere else too! Nice write up video!

Thanks and yes. I am making more solid impact across the board.

Great write up and very cool to have the video to remember it with.

Great write up and very cool to have the video to remember it with.
It was multiple shorter clips but I downloaded an app on my phone and put them all together. I have watched it a ton of times and seems like I catch something or remember something new each time.

Great write up and fitting. Amazing how a little adjustment like teeing it down can help out so much. And also illustrates that they are trying to fit you for the best club, but also providing just some subtle little swing tips that can really make a difference.

This is great and who the heck was in that bunker while you were hitting driver. Yikes.

awesome video! just ended too soon. i wanted to watch more!

I have actually been teeing it down now. Jon also recommended me stepping back from the ball a little. What's not in the video is the part where he got impact tape and we watched my impact point creep from low heel to center. Combined with the lower tee height it has helped my driving a lot.

Thanks for sharing that part of your experience. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it! I also couldn't help but think that I would be so self-conscious about my swing and the results it produced that I'd say the first adjustment that was an improvement was good with me rather than let the fitter work his magic.

My driver impact miss is low heel, as well. I'm going to steal those suggestions to see if it helps. It can't hurt to try!

Thanks for sharing that part of your experience. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it! I also couldn't help but think that I would be so self-conscious about my swing and the results it produced that I'd say the first adjustment that was an improvement was good with me rather than let the fitter work his magic.

My driver impact miss is low heel, as well. I'm going to steal those suggestions to see if it helps. It can't hurt to try!
Absolutely. It has helped me tremendously. Still have some stuff to work ok with my swing but those little tweaks made a big difference in the right direction. Glad you liked! Man I miss that place!!

awesome video! just ended too soon. i wanted to watch more!
If I had thought about it I would have had the entire fitting filmed but I was so taken back by the experience I lost a lot of train of thought haha.

This is great and who the heck was in that bunker while you were hitting driver. Yikes.
That was @armygolf.

If I had thought about it I would have had the entire fitting filmed but I was so taken back by the experience I lost a lot of train of thought haha.

it would be an amazing memento to have video of the experience to cherish forever, and then also to share with community once embargos lift.

Great video and write up.

Thanks for sharing !

Thank you!

On your iron fitting you said you tried the graphit shaft, but they didn't fit your swing speed. How did they rate distance wise and assuming you had a fast swing, could you feel the bend or shift in the shaft? Just curious to hear feed back on the graphite.

Back