St. Louis, MO THP Outing - Gateway National April 16, 2016

I'm a project manager by trade so I have a hard time denying my OCD urges to organize things, LOL... lemme know if I'm getting overbearing here guys.

So it looks like we're zeroing in on Fairview Heights as a central point for out of town folks, at least one round at Gateway on Saturday and at least one round at Far Oaks or Stone Wolf on Sunday.

We could look at a warm-up 9 holes somewhere early Saturday AM (it'd have to be dawn patrol, but I'm fine with that) before the 11:00 am times at Gateway.

We could also look at playing 36 on Sunday but not sure if those of you who are traveling want to play 2 rounds AND travel home the same day.

Chime in guys... this is fun; looking forward to meeting everyone.

It's all good! I was thinking about playing an early 9 holes Saturday am, doing the shamble at Gateway and then doing another 18 Sunday am. Then heading back home by 1-2pm at the latest.

I actually like Far Oaks much better than Stone Wolf. Stone Wolf is a Nicklaus course in name only as the condition is just okay. Plus it has the worst 5 starting holes of any course I've played.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input on that. On the websites they make Stone Wolf look much nicer, by design I'm sure because of the price difference. Do either of them have a 9 hole rate or would another course in the area? If not I'm fine just going to the driving range pre-shamble to get warmed up, I'm more interested in just getting in the extra round Sunday and I'd be good with 36.

A Chicago contingent is in the works. Likely a very early drive down on Saturday morning, stay Saturday night, then a round on Sunday morning. Couple of folks (including myself) checking on schedules still.

A Chicago contingent is in the works. Likely a very early drive down on Saturday morning, stay Saturday night, then a round on Sunday morning. Couple of folks (including myself) checking on schedules still.

Right on; sounds like fun. I can look into Sunday AM @ Far Oaks or Stone Wolf and will post back here tomorrow on that.

Been thinking about the schedule for the weekend and I probably won't make an extra round Saturday am. The 2 hour drive up that morning would be a little earlier than I want to roll out of bed on a leisurely Saturday morning. I think I'll just get to Gateway somewhere around 9:30-10am and just spend some time on the range, get a feel for the greens, and get in a little meet and greet before the shamble starts. I'm down for an extra round Sunday fo sho!

Unfortunately with work and vacation time I have to be out for this as much as Id like to make the trip.

Another Chicago boy is throwing his name in the maybe column will know for sure by this weekend sounds like a blast

Hoping to get another 18 in on Sunday. Depends on what the wife says lol.

There's a muni not too far from Gateway called Arlington Greens that has a 9 hole rate if anyone wants to play a dawn patrol round on Saturday before Gateway. Not the best course in town but it'll do for a warm-up.

I don't have any family conflicts and this is pretty much a go for me. If you guys want, we can leave Friday night. It's inly about 3 1/2 hours from my house down to the STL. It would be a more enjoy ale drive for everyone involved as I am NOT a morning person.

I don't have any family conflicts and this is pretty much a go for me. If you guys want, we can leave Friday night. It's inly about 3 1/2 hours from my house down to the STL. It would be a more enjoy ale drive for everyone involved as I am NOT a morning person.

I second the notion that Adam is not a morning person, that's why he joins us on the third hole from time to time.:alien: I would love to do this, I have played Gateway and it was really fun, the views are great. My wife is due March 26th so probably cant get away for the weekend that soon.

I second the notion that Adam is not a morning person, that's why he joins us on the third hole from time to time.:alien: I would love to do this, I have played Gateway and it was really fun, the views are great. My wife is due March 26th so probably cant get away for the weekend that soon.

This is like your 8th kid.....she should have the routine down by now.

By the way I was over at Gateway yesterday and they are starting to go full tilt into maintenance mode to prepare for the season. All wastelands have been burned and they are brush hogging the stuff that didn't burn and does not belong. The native grasses in the burned areas are already starting to emerge and a pre emergent will be going down to stop the weeds from taking over. Once the water levels go down, they will get in and do some major cleanup around the water edges removing small vegetation and brush that should not be there. A tree on 15 was felled that actually did not belong. It was a tree that started to sprout up 15 years ago and got massive, but blocked a shot into the green and since it was not part of the original design it was removed.

Basically the course is going back to its original design and will be looking awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just went through the hole-by-hole on Gateways website and this is gonna be a blast! Sounds like they're going to have the course in immaculate condition. Sounds like I'm going to have to put some work in at the range as soon as it opens and get rid of the winter rust so I can keep balls in play off the tee.

Lotawata Creek has also opened back up after the fire, so I do get to grab a meal there sometime that weekend. Either supper Saturday night or lunch on the way home Sunday. I'm pretty pumped about that too, just not as much as the golf at Gateway!

so-illhacker - you'll love Gateway; it's a great course. But your assessment is correct - you want to stay in play off the tee for sure

I still need to call Far Oaks about Sunday AM. I'll call them after my next meeting here.

In the meantime I scrolled thru the thread to update the attendee list - wubears71 here's an updated list for your OP. Correct me if I've missed anything guys...

In
wubears71
Daddio
so-illhacker
LSMO
hammer84
Zenger
Zenger Guest

Maybe
Rambler
IceyShanks
hunter57
Shakey
adamw238
Texasbrons
mr3putt
MSH134

so-illhacker - you'll love Gateway; it's a great course. But your assessment is correct - you want to stay in play off the tee for sure

Which is why I'm glad we're going with the shamble format!

Left a msg for Far Oaks. Given the weather I'll bet they're closed today.

I'm in for sure

I'm in for sure

Awesome man! Gonna be a blast. Doing another round Sunday morning too?

Sounds like 3 more and we have our 3 groups!

Playing phone tag with Far Oaks re: Sunday morning. Sounds like they can accommodate us. How early do you guys want to play?

Put me in for both days. 9-ish for Sunday 5150?

Put me in for both days. 9-ish for Sunday 5150?

Yeah, I was figuring between 8:00 and 9:00 but was waiting to hear from out-of-town guys since y'all would be driving home after the round. It's a 10 minute drive for me so I'm not particular, haha.

One vote for 9:00ish - any other strong opinions on Sunday AM tee time?

Yeah, I was figuring between 8:00 and 9:00 but was waiting to hear from out-of-town guys since y'all would be driving home after the round. It's a 10 minute drive for me so I'm not particular, haha.

One vote for 9:00ish - any other strong opinions on Sunday AM tee time?

Would definitely want to tee off close to 9.

Back