2019 Morgan Cup: Opening Odds #ForTheCup

JDax

The Finley Cooler
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 12.1
We are getting closer and closer to the 2019 Morgan Cup, in fact we are less than 30 days away from one the biggest events on the THP Event Calendar.

If you haven't already taken a look, you can follow the lead up to the event in the following thread:

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/111176-The-2019-Morgan-Cup-Sponsored-by-Cobra-Golf-Want-To-Be-A-Tour-Player

i-mvB2pVq-M.jpg

When & Where
March 22nd -24th
Haig Point
Daufuskie Island

The course on which the Morgan Cup will be contested is known, we also know that the Morgan Cup will be competed for over the course of 54 holes of competition, we don't know the format at this time. If you want to see and learn more about the course, the thread linked above is the home of some of the course related talk thanks to @arydolphin.

The Signature course has appeared in Golf Digest’s “America’s 100 Greatest Courses” and “Best in State,” and has earned a coveted position in Golf Magazine’s “Top 100 in the World.” This isn't the 1st time that this location hosted a THP event, last year's Odyssey Experience was held on this course. That event can be relived here:

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...ive-Update-Thread-The-2018-Odyssey-Experience

The Handicaps of the Teams:

Team Hackers:
Captain: Canadan (+1)
Asst Captain: Mike Yagley from Cobra Golf (7.2)
OITW (7.9)
WICHITAREJECT (10)
Molten (12)
phoffer (26.1)
BuckNasty (19.6)
Tenputt (5.3)

Team Paradise:
Captain: jdtox (7.1)
Asst Captain: Jose Miraflor from Cobra Golf (3.3)
M2Giles (11)
BoilerCLE (6)
Dawgfan28 (18)
Campilobaxter (13.2)
AcushnetGolf (12)
93civiccpe (24)

On paper Team Hackers holds a slight edge on combined handicap (10.8 to 11.8), but it's close and both Captains will have interesting options as it relates to pairings. Alternate Shot being the format that will keep both Captains in deep thought from now to the Cup. Pairings for Alternate Shot could be the difference between winning and losing the Cup. The teams are basically evenly matched from a handicap perspective.

Club Selection:

Team Hackers:
Captain: Canadan (+1)- FTB
Asst Captain: Mike Yagley from Cobra Golf (7.2)- F9
OITW (7.9)- F9
WICHITAREJECT (10)- F9
Molten (12)- F9
phoffer (26.1)- F9
BuckNasty (19.6)- F9
Tenputt (5.3)- F9

Team Paradise:
Captain: jdtox (7.1)- CBMB
Asst Captain: Jose Miraflor from Cobra Golf (3.3)- FTB
M2Giles (11)- F9
BoilerCLE (6)- FTB
Dawgfan28 (18)- F9
Campilobaxter (13.2)- FTB
AcushnetGolf (12)- CBMB
93civiccpe (24)- FTB

As you can see the one point where you see a stark contrast between the 2 teams is in the area of club selection. Team Hackers opting heavily to go with the F9 line, while Team Paradise's club selection was more of a mixed bag. Personally, I have hit all of the new Cobra offering, and feel that the F9 is the best iron that Cobra has ever made. It is an iron that is uber forgiving and retains ball speed on mishits all over the face. Also, a wide range of handicaps can play the F9 line without problem, so I think that the adjustment period will be better handled by Team Hackers. In the pressure cooker that is Morgan Cup pressure, the F9 might just be the best tool to handle it. I like the club selection for Team Hackers better, and give them the edge here.

The clubs for both teams started to arrive between 2/9 and now, so this combined with the poor weather in many parts of the country has made it difficult to get a real feel for how well both teams are acclimating to their new equipment.

Opening Odds:

Note: This is for entrainment proposes only, and to get some chatter built up about the Morgan Cup. Not to hurt anyone's feelings.

It is hard not to make Team Hackers a favorite here to open. They have a Captain that has led a THP Team to a Grandaddy victory, and I like their club selection a little better so I give them a slight edge in intangibles. There are many 1st timers in this event, which also makes it difficult because it is hard to gage how 1st timers will play in a THP event. Team Paradise is a live dog that will give Team Hackers all they want and could win the Cup if they gel and catch enough breaks.

Without knowing the exact format this one will be tough to offer an exact number at this time. The course will be a fair test, and the players will need to bring their A game to survive.

This post will serve for updates in the odds and break downs as more about the format of the competition becomes known, with that being said, I'm ready to post an opening number.

Team Odds of Winning the Morgan Cup:

Team Hackers -280
Team Paradise +230

I like the club selection breakdown Dax.

Well done.

Has the committee verified everyone’s handicaps and club selection?

• Staff
I like the club selection breakdown Dax.

Well done.

Has the committee verified everyone’s handicaps and club selection?

The Handicaps are from either profiles or posted in the Morgan Cup thread. Phoffer helped me get the club selection data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Handicaps are from either profiles or posted in the Morgan Cup thread. Phoffer helped me get the club selection data.

Only thing you’re missing is club color hehe #TeamYellow vs #TeamAvalanche

• Staff

Only thing you’re missing is club color hehe #TeamYellow vs #TeamAvalanche

On club arrivals, this is what we were able to come up with, but some haven’t mentioned it:

phoffer - woods/irons - 2/9
Tenputt - woods 2/9
WICHITA - woods 2/11
Molten - irons/wedges 2/12
Canadan - irons/wedges 2/12
OITW - woods 2/12
Jdtox - woods/irons 2/13
Campilo - woods 2/14
BuckNasty - irons 2/15
M2Giles - woods 2/16
Civic - woods 2/16

• Staff
For the record...
I also like the scripting for both teams , so it was net even in the odds.

On club arrivals, this is what we were able to come up with, but some haven’t mentioned it:

Tenputt - woods 2/9
WICHITA - woods 2/11
OITW - woods 2/12
Jdtox - woods/irons 2/13
Campilo - woods 2/14
BuckNasty - irons 2/15
M2Giles - woods 2/16
Civic - woods 2/16

I have my full bag, but have yet to hit the irons, hybrid and wedges. I have 3 rounds in with the woods.

For the record...
I also like the scripting for both teams , so it was net even in the odds.

Pink #FTMFW

I have my full bag, but have yet to hit the irons, hybrid and wedges. I have 3 rounds in with the woods.

You also have the best floors on the team

Tenputt - woods 2/9
WICHITA - woods 2/11
OITW - woods 2/12
Jdtox - woods/irons 2/13
Campilo - woods 2/14
BuckNasty - irons 2/15
M2Giles - woods 2/16
Civic - woods 2/16

My irons & wedges came a couple days after the woods. I believe it was this past Tuesday.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Woo love the odds thread. Can't wait to see the extended breakdown we get after formats and pairings have been announced and everyone's prep is locked in.

Woo love the odds thread. Can't wait to see the extended breakdown we get after formats and pairings have been announced and everyone's prep is locked in.

Hopefully we get the exact format of the Cup soon...

Honestly thought the line would be higher. Well done as always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nobody laying bets yet?

Disappointing

2019 Morgan Cup: Opening Odds #ForTheCup

Nobody laying bets yet?

Disappointing

I’m running to the window laying down whatever makes the bookie uncomfortable on Team Hackers with this line value.

Honestly thought the line would be higher. Well done as always.

There is a Srixon Event in Vegas right after this one, most of the degenerates will be there... lol

I’m running to the window laying down whatever makes the bookie uncomfortable on Team Hackers with this line value.

I had a gut feeling that I didn’t make the line high enough... Thanks for reaffirming that for me...

Hey JDax I don't now if you feel like factoring it in, but I'm playing OL F9. Not an adjustment though since I came from OL F8s

Hey JDax I don't now if you feel like factoring it in, but I'm playing OL F9. Not an adjustment though since I came from OL F8s

Love the F9 OL Irons ...

This is fantastic.

Putting up a dozen ERCs on Team Hackers.

Hoping the return is better than a sleeve of Warrior golf balls.

Well done as always JDax! These threads are fun

Team Odds of Winning the Morgan Cup:

Team Hackers -280
Team Paradise +230

So one lays $280 to win $100 on Team Hackers and lay $100 to win $230 On Team Paradise. Hackers at -280 is more than a 2:1 favorite so to me seems JDax money odds look fair. They're sporting the lowest and highest cap on their team. Paradise should draw the value (keno) players!

Dax - Always love reading these threads, truly appreciate the effort you put into this.

Can’t wait to see what the formats look like for this year.

Interesting opening odds for sure. I’m excited to see how the line changes as we are quickly approaching the big weekend.

Back