Is DJ a Hall of Famer?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's say for arguments sake that DJ decided to retire at the end of this season and he doesn't win a major this year. That gives him about 20 wins on the PGA Tour and he won 1 major.

Is he in the Hall of Fame?

Yes, he dominates WGCs and he’a one a tournament every year he’s been on tour or close to that

Top 40 all time in wins now?

Has a major?

Former world number one?

He’s in.

I have a harder time figuring it out for golf than I do for other sports, but I'd have to say yes.

I have nothing to add other than saying I would be good with him in based on a log of the logic already presented

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

What would be the argument against? He’s been borderline dominant for a couple years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say the only hang up is the 1 Major. Not exactly sure how that measures up against those currently in the Hall of Fame though.

I'd say he us a lock for the HOF.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yeah he's in. At this point he's essentially had Greg Norman's career.

Without question.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yes for sure. No reason he shouldn't be.

Yeah, I’d put him in without much hesitation

Without question and I don't know how anyone could argue. Freddy Couples is in the hall of fame and DJ dominates him. 20 tour wins, 7 euro wins, and 1 major for DJ compared to 13 tour wins, 3 euro wins, and 1 major for Freddy.

Yep, he is in.

Another vote for "absolutely." He has the numbers, been #1 in the world and most tour players even regard him as the most talented on tour.

Should that talent have equated to even more victories, especially majors? Probably, yeah, but his present numbers alone are enough.

Looking forward though, I think he's just entering his prime and the wins will come in bunches over the next few seasons.

Absolutely. Others have made it with far less.......Gene Littler, Fred Couples, Colin Montgomerie, Larry Nelson, Jose Maria Olazabal, Davis Love III ....just to name a few.

He’s in no question. Only guys quicker to 20wins are greats if the game. He may not be as polished as some of his predecessors, but dude just solidified a lifetime exception on tour. If that’s not hall of fame I’m not sure what is.

Absolutely. Others have made it with far less.......Gene Littler, Fred Couples, Colin Montgomerie, Larry Nelson, Jose Maria Olazabal, Davis Love III ....just to name a few.

Even putting that argument aside (which to me seems a little weak/whiny: "He got in so I should get in too" - even though I understand that logic);

20 wins at his age is super impressive (only player with 20+ born after 1980). Among active players only Tiger & Phil have more. Has won every year on tour except 2014 (his "voluntary leave of absence"). 20 freaking wins is a crap ton in this day & age. Only the very best will even come close. So yeah, he's elite & worthy of HOF status just on that basis alone IMHO.

Plus, I can see him getting to 30+ wins at this rate.

I think he has to be. That's a whole lot of wins and that major is big. It's been a consistent career.

Absolutely, too many check offs not to be in

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The golf HOF is a tricky one. Given the amount of people who thought Couples shouldn't have gotten in, then DJ probably wouldn't. Golf puts so much weight on majors that 1 won't do it.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Back