Shut it down for the winter - did it help?

JayB

Reaction score
Handicap
In previous seasons, I have played throughout the winter. This year I shut it down (combo of weather and other time constraints). I am just now starting to swing again and it is feeling pretty good. Maybe the time off has helped. We,ll see once I get on the course.

so, what does everyone else do, and how has it helped/hurt your game?

I use to play right up until Christmas time, but that was back when I could still get on the course after they closed for the season. These days they don't allow you on the course when they close up for the winter months. Even if they did allow me to play, I'm much older now and doubt I would enjoy playing in the cold any more. I do however get to the dome to hit a bucket of balls a couple times during the winter months to see if I still remember how to strike a ball. When I'm at home in the winter months I take practice swings with my 7 iron inside the house to try to get some swing rhythm and timing before the new golf season begins

I didn't do much golf from October to December. Played during Christmas in Florida and that's about it. In January I started to go out back and hit in my hitting net and the last two Thursdays played in the simulator.
Was suppose to play Ravens Claw yesterday with a few guys but it was too cold and wet to play which my buddy confirmed as he played..

I played 8 rounds in January and 1 1/2 in February, so far. A cart hood and heater make a world of difference. By the way, I'll be 74 come June. lol

I just play through. I stink but I like playing so I don't stop. I don't get out as much in winter months but some of us get out there when its aboout 35* and not too windy and get our rounds in.

I am doing the exact opposite for the first time this year. In past years the last round/golf activity would be late October or early November and then pretty much be dormant until April-ish. It would then take me a month or so to get back to my normal mediocre :). The first few times out at the range the clubs would feel like foreign objects and I would be a couple of clubs shorter than midseason form.

This year I am making it a point to do something golf related every day like hitting in to my backyard net, putting in the garage, playing at the simulator, top golf, superspeed, or even sneaking out in the crappy winter weather and getting 18 in.

It will be interesting to see if there is any difference!

Live in texas so I play through if the weather is warm enough and the wind isn't 40mph. Sometimes i feel like if i lay off, i forget my bad habits....

I used to completely shut it down every winter and it seemed like I always started out on fire at the beginning of the season. It's like my brain reset and I forgot my bad habits. I'd come out shooting mid tho high 70's each year.

The last few years I've played sim golf throughout the winter and it seems like my game has got worse. I'm terrible at sim golf and it seems like every winter I start getting the shanks. This year I've still gone to the simulator but it's been much less and I'm hoping it helps me get off to a better start. Now I'm putting more focus on improving my putting stroke.

Winter shut down always hurts my game. It takes a few weeks at the range and a few rounds before I get the swing back to good form.
The short game suffers the most of course.

I don't know yet but I'm really excited to see what I can do. I've only been on the course once since the first of November. When we've had decent enough weather to play, and the course hasn't been too wet, it's either been during the week when I've been unable to break away from the office or a time or when I've had things to do on the weekend.

In the past, full shots have been pretty good my first time or two out. My short game always has been sort of an all or nothing deal (usually nothing) in the first round or two. I don't know why but I'll try to pull off difficult chips or pitches when I play safe with full shots.

Back