THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

A question for the participants: What can those of us not playing in the event do most to show our support or help the effort. I plan to:
* Still be as active as possible in the thread, maybe a bit more reading now than posting, but will contribute thoughts where I have them.
* Try to a call out or two of the local guys when I can
* May have the chance to play RNK next Thursday and pass along any info or tips that I come up with
* Join guys at the range or have them out to my course for practice sessions
* And of course I plan on making it down to RNK for the meet and greet, range session and dinner if available.

But beyond that if there is anything specific we can do that would help you guys get prepared and stay motivated

Money for practice rounds ???

Scouting reports actually would be a help. I plan to get at least 1 but it might not be for a while. I know Lynchburg can do that too.

Free Beer would be nice!!

Yes, and free beer.

A question for the participants: What can those of us not playing in the event do most to show our support or help the effort. I plan to:
* Still be as active as possible in the thread, maybe a bit more reading now than posting, but will contribute thoughts where I have them.
* May have the chance to play RNK next Thursday and pass along any info or tips that I come up with
* And of course I plan on making it down to RNK for the meet and greet, range session and dinner if available.

But beyond that if there is anything specific we can do that would help you guys get prepared and stay motivated

Like you, I want to help as well. But I think I have made some contributions already. Since I am not on the team, the younger guys will have a better chance of beating the Carolina guys and it lowers the average age of the team.

May I ask perhaps what could be labelled a technical question. Since there are 4 formats, will there be 4 matches with which to accumulate points. Lets, assume on the first nine, a team for DMV wins 2 and 1, but loses the second nine 1 down. If two 9 hole matches, DMV would receive a point for the first 9, and the Carolinas would receive a point for the second nine. If it is considered an 18 hole match, DMV would win a point 1 up.

Remember you said that. :D

i have been on both sides of the higher hdcp pairing. Been the high hdcp playing with a mid or low guy in best ball and alt shot. It's really about keeping ball in front of us and out of to much trouble and adjust from there. Regardless of formats communication with partner is key.

We should pair up well!

i think we would. Based on how,you describe your game would be very similar pairing to me and jdtox who were paired together in Pitt at the invitational with shamble and best ball formats. We were able to feed off each other and lots of times it was a coin toss between whose ball to use.

active on the forum supporting the event. Play/practice with as many guys as possible.

May I ask perhaps what could be labelled a technical question. Since there are 4 formats, will there be 4 matches with which to accumulate points. Lets, assume on the first nine, a team for DMV wins 2 and 1, but loses the second nine 1 down. If two 9 hole matches, DMV would receive a point for the first 9, and the Carolinas would receive a point for the second nine. If it is considered an 18 hole match, DMV would win a point 1 up.
From my understanding of the first post, there will be four nine hole matches (or three nine hole matches if only 27 holes are played based on time constraints).

From my understanding of the first post, there will be four nine hole matches (or three nine hole matches if only 27 holes are played based on time constraints).

That's was my understanding or interpretation as well, just confirming that I had done so correctly. It does show Match 1 front and back and Match 2 front and back, so I wasn't sure.

Last edited:

You have played with me enough to know how I feel about slow golf. If we are teeing off at 8 am and our last 9 got canceled because of time constraints something is wrong and I wont be pleased.

You have played with me enough to know how I feel about slow golf. If we are teeing off at 8 am and our last 9 got canceled because of time constraints something is wrong and I wont be pleased.

Gawd I want to give you a hug right now.
And anybody that knows me and my"rules" knows thats a pretty big deal...haha

Lol with JB present I have no doubt you can play each round under 6 hours and finish all the matches

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by mikedean441
So now that the fields are set, and the formats are known, what kind of golfer benefits/compliments you most as a partner?

Do you need length off the tee to have shorter iron shots, need someone with a good short game, or a good putter...etc?

I copied this from the Ohio Michigan thread.... What do you think???

Honestly, for me, Personality is the one thing that can make or break a team. If you get along with your partner, both players will be at ease and most likely hit better shots. But a good short game at RNK goes a long way

If you havent responded to the PM that GolferGal sent regards t guaranteeing your spot, I suggest you do so soon. There are a bunch of THPers that would like said spot.

I'd like to think that, despite the fact that I take about 25% more shots than you do a round, I can keep up.

I'd like to think that, despite the fact that I take about 25% more shots than you do a round, I can keep up.

You always do like I said we have played MULTIPLE rounds together haha. I don't mind deliberate golf or slower than I but slow golf is brutal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It won't be an issue. I don't care what's on the line. If a ANY team falls behind then expect 1 warning, next time you'll hear pick up, concede the hole. And you better hope it coming from JB and not GG ;)

If you're typically a slower golfer, you've got time to fix it so you don't feel pressed for time.

It won't be an issue. I don't care what's on the line. If a ANY team falls behind then expect 1 warning, next time you'll hear pick up, concede the hole. And you better hope it coming from JB and not GG ;)

If you're typically a slower golfer, you've got time to fix it so you don't feel pressed for time.

Kevin and I offer training for a small cost.

I want to be supportive through this process so let me help you with the bold part and link you to here http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?76850-The-Official-Rant-of-the-Day

Seriously though good luck on your journey. I am trying to get down to 210 myself started at 240 got down to 220 in a month or so but have put a good bit back on due to work trips. The lifestyle adjustment takes time to stick but I know you will knock it out of the park

So there was a thread that talked about whether or not we'd prep differently if we got into a THP event. I responded that my goals were my goals regardless of whether or not I achieved entry into any events.

I'd like to amend that. Weighed myself today and almost topped 190 on the scale. That is unfreaking acceptable. So ... in addition to my golf goals, I plan on hitting the healthy eating train seriously hard. I'm going to say goodbye to diet soda :cry:, fast food, and junk food. Going to turn back to more lean protein and lots of vegetables ... as well as a healthy breakfast to keep me from hitting Dunkin Donuts every morning. I imagine I'm going to be a total richard for a few days, but that will pass ... hopefully. I want to lose a good 20-30 pounds or so, as much for me as for my kiddo. I imagine it'd be good to stick around for awhile, ya know?

In addition to my regular walking with my push cart on the golf course, I'll also be adding a couple of miles a day in walking ... maybe during lunch, maybe after work. Yeah, this isn't going to be easy is it?
If either of y'all want some good workout advice, let me know. I used to do that sort of thing. I am a bit demanding and arrogant though, fair warning.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Larkin isn't far from me, and it's a decent course. I'm hoping to play there Sunday, in fact.

I'm about 30 minutes from Statesville. That would probably work for me depending on the date.

I can guarantee to it won't be me holding anyone up!!

Slow golf is not part of my vocabulary!

Just to help yall out with the slow play on this course. There is some good distance between holes so that adds a little, but looking for balls is pretty much pointless. If you see that your ball went into the natural brush you will 9 out of 10 times be taking a drop. The stuff is super thick in the summer, thorns, oh and some snakes. If you do see your ball its not worth the blood loss that will occur from trying to get in there to hit it.

Oh here is what you can expect to see from the back of the clubhouse at 7:00 the morning of.

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-02%20at%207.57.06%20PM.png
[/URL][/IMG]

If you havent responded to the PM that GolferGal sent regards t guaranteeing your spot, I suggest you do so soon. There are a bunch of THPers that would like said spot.

Bump this up.

Back