TaylorMade M2 Driver Review Thread

As a general rule, higher on the face means higher launch, lower ball speed and lower spin
Lower on the face means lower launch, higher ball speed and higher spin.

Agree 100% I meant I visually (on the range) wasn't loosing distance on these shots. More to come though...

I'll agree and disagree here. True that if more adjustability is what one wants then the M1 is clearly the club you should be looking at.
But on the flip side of the coin a customer should be able to order an M2 through Taylormade's custom department with some length adjustments without having to worry about the swing weight being different than stock IMO. Especially considering that they are offering 28 No-Upcharge shaft options it shows that they are aware of the benefits of having golfers get fit into an ideal setup, it seems half-assed to not have proper swing weight/length adjustments available.
As far as I'm aware if you order an M1 at 44" they still won't do anything with more or different weights to get the swing weight back up.

From a getting a swing weight you want perspective, totally agree. I just asked a taylormade rep and they confirmed they would not change it.

Good stuff in here today, guys.

I just got home from a range session, and will update with my thoughts ASAP.

First impressions have me really happy with the M2.

Got my first full round in with this club and let me start by saying I'm selling my old driver. I love this driver. I have to say my experience with forgiveness was opposite from JB. I always thought forgiveness was blown own of proportion but my mishits did not cost me much distance at all. I'm not long off the tee by anyone's standards so that may account for the discrepancy. My swing was a bit rusty since I hadn't hit any balls all week due to a back injury last Saturday. On my good swings I was picking up 10 yards easily with a nice mid high ball flight. I'm also getting used to the feel and sound and it seems like it's easier on the hands due to the lack of vibration. I was in the fairway most of the time too. This driver is staying in my bag, that's for sure. I can't wait to hit it again.

I hit this at the range today. I felt that I had a decent ball flight, but it didn't seem like the ball was coming off the face very hot. I will say my miss/normal strike is usually just above center. I could see that pattern was no different than normal. The feel was decent and the sound was good. Comparing it to the M1, I still think I get better performance (height/distance) from that. I look forward to giving these both a go again once the weather turns decent for the long haul.

I can only give my thoughts from my fitting when I hit both this and the GBB as it came down to a choice between them - the only thing I can say is that my swing was not really playing that day

Looking at the Flightscope numbers, they were very similar with the GBB just pipping the M2 by around 7yds, but this could have been due to the adjustable weight being set to counteract my fade/slice I had going that day helping to keep the ball slightly straighter

I did have a slightly higher swing speed with the M2 (M2 102.6 v GBB 99.1) but I got better contact with the GBB (Smash GBB 1.41 v M2 1.38)
I won't add my spin numbers as they won't really help much as they were pretty high, but that is my swing and I am working on fixing that at the moment
Both clubs launched at a very similar angle (GBB 11.3 v M2 11.0) but the M2 actually had a higher peak height than the GBB so consequently came down at a steeper angle and that could possibly account for the difference in total distance

My final decision on which to buy came down to the adjustability of the GBB and being able to help out when my swing wasn't working, but if you can get the desired ball flight from the M2 without the adjustable weight then they are both very good drivers

If I had to choose between the M1 and M2, I would pick the M2 as I thought it felt a lot better to me, but that is just my personal opinion and I don't hit any driver consistently enough to warrant the extra sliding weights of the M1 over the M2

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these drivers, at the end of the day it all comes down to what you want and prefer the look of I reckon

You must be spot on that the extra slice spin and maybe M2 going a bit higher hurt it's total distance because it appears you had almost 2 more mph ball speed on average with M2 versus GBB (141.6 versus 139.7). If spins were similar, as launch was, I wouldn't think M2 would be 7 yards shorter, given it was the one producing the most ball speed for you? There might be some nice potential for you there with just a hosel tweak or something?

Last edited:
Wasnt able to get out for a full round today, but some range time with the M2 was in order.

First things first, for me, holding a driver in hand tells me immedaitely if I BELIEVE it is something that I will work for my game. Holding the M2 and swinging it, even before I tee'd a ball up, it felt as if it was one I would like. The weight in hand and during the swing is a weight that I really like. Lighter than some others I have gamed more recently, but right in my wheelhouse as to what I prefer in a driver.

Again, the crown design is one I am a huge fan of. There is a lot going on, but still subtle when you setup at address. The white/black contrast is eye pleasing, and for me, I like that it helps me get square to target.

I took a couple swings with my current driver to guage my swing, and was seeing typical results that I get out of it. The M2 has a slightly smaller face (top to bottom) than my current gamer, and is overall a bit more compact it seems, but this was not something that was overly noticeable for me, but something that I did take notice of when switching to the M2.

My driver swing was clicking, and my results off teeing the M2 on the range were solid. Not a super big left/right again that I experience with the SLDR, but a nice tight fade starting just left of center and coming back over to the right a bit. Exactly the shot shape that I depend on for my game. What I did notice was my launch being noticeably higher than other TM drivers I have gamed in the past, as well as a bit higher than my current driver. Ball seemed to get up quickly, and just keep rising. Being that this is a 10.5* head, I was actually quite surprised at the height I was seeing, and I was digging it.

Center of the face shots were solid for me. Great distance, predictable ball flight. Didnt have much for a miss today, a few out off the toe (my typical miss with the driver), but did not see results that were catastrophic. With my past few TM drivers, if I missed off center, it was horrid. The M2 seemed significantly more forgiving lateral on the face, in this case toward the toe.

Im stoked to get this one out on the course. Hard to gauge distance on the range some times, but if the M2 gives me the predictable shots that I have gotten used to off the tee, I think it will be a solid choice for me.

Just curious, if you want that much adjustability, why not just get the m1?
Changing one weight in the back of the M2 is nothing like M1 adjustability.

I'm in a similar camp with the Cobra F6 driver. They offered differing weights for the Fly-Z (and Fly-Z+) but nothing yet for the F6.

Spent about 30 minutes on the range with this one and FlightScope today. First off, I love the sound, its as if TaylorMade took a few years off in terms of thinking about sound/feel and then came back to their classic sound that was so good. Its explosive and hot without being too metallic and one that I really like.

Distance was good. On par with my other drivers, which is a good thing. Spin numbers and launch are solid on well hit shots. Averaging about 2800 and 13 degrees when hit on the button.

I know people want to hear about forgiveness, so this is my take and only after one session on FlightScope.
Hitting the ball high on the face gave me lower spin (as expected) and slightly lower ball speed (better than expected) and solid distance.
Hitting the ball low on the face gave me higher spin (as expected), but WAY lower ball speed (not as expected) and a tremendous loss in distance. This happened on shots both towards the toe and heel as well.

Overall, when swinging well, I liked what I saw. My miss on the driver tends to be high on the face and I was seeing some pretty remarkable shots with that miss. When missing low, I was really surprised with how much I lost, in an area where ball speeds are generally higher (along with spin).

Simply one test, with one person, on one day. Further testing coming soon.

So I agree with all of this based on what I saw playing a LOT of golf yesterday and then getting it on my monitor.

The low miss shocked me, a lot, particularly with the speed channel within the design, just a pretty significant speed drop for me there. That said my other misses responded pretty well.

I also totally agree with the sound, THIS is TM finally getting back to a driver that just sounds TREMENDOUS at impact, this is what I have always meant in past drivers when I said they didn't sound like a TM driver, this sounds like a TM driver should. May be fickle, but that alone makes me want to hit it.

Distance was good. Not longer than my gamer, but not really off of it at all either.

I'll admit, though I still think that the combo crown material isn't innovative and is something Callaway did YEARS ago, the look has grown on me a lot and it looks pretty damn slick behind a golf ball.

Spent some time with this yesterday and found the same results as JB in terms of high/low on the face and on well struck shots it wasn't giving very good results in comparison to the XR 16 and my gammer was 15 years longer.

On the M2 I was also getting spin consistently around 2900 and above.

I'll agree and disagree here. True that if more adjustability is what one wants then the M1 is clearly the club you should be looking at.
But on the flip side of the coin a customer should be able to order an M2 through Taylormade's custom department with some length adjustments without having to worry about the swing weight being different than stock IMO. Especially considering that they are offering 28 No-Upcharge shaft options it shows that they are aware of the benefits of having golfers get fit into an ideal setup, it seems half-assed to not have proper swing weight/length adjustments available.
As far as I'm aware if you order an M1 at 44" they still won't do anything with more or different weights to get the swing weight back up.

This... Switching a weight to adjust swing weight to a desired number can be very beneficial to some. It Can also help with shorter or longer builds. An overall heavier or lighter feel as well.

I agree though. If you want ball flight adjustability the M1 is a better option than the M2.

Rather than focus on modifying a club that is set at a current weight and setup, let's focus on the reviews and on course results.

If someone has a stock setup, can you tell me the length of the shaft from butt end of grip to the tip of the adapter.

If someone has a stock setup, can you tell me the length of the shaft from butt end of grip to the tip of the adapter.

42 1/4 inches.

Thanks.

Looking forward to putting this one to the test on the course this weekend. Will take a lot of it to kick my current gamer out of it's place, but i think it might have a shot from initial results.

I plan on hitting the range tomorrow. Can't wait to get more swings in with this club.

I plan on hitting the range tomorrow. Can't wait to get more swings in with this club.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts dude.

To the tip of the adapter, yes. I measured it with a tape.

Looking forward to putting this one to the test on the course this weekend. Will take a lot of it to kick my current gamer out of it's place, but i think it might have a shot from initial results.
Looking forward to seeing this thing, Only hit it on a sim and that produced some pretty jacked up numbers.... (304 carry on a 108 SS.... I wish) can't wait to see how it performs on the course against your Cleveland

Hit the range with this today. It didn't go so well but that was my fault. It was really windy and only around 50 degrees so I was trying to kill it and wasn't pitting good swings on it. Then I decided it was a good idea to rapid fire driver for about an hour straight and my swing just got worse the more tired I got. Real smart right?

Anyway, once I settled myself down and started to relax I started hitting some decent shots. Nice ball flight and good distance despite the wind and cold. The more I hit this thing the more I'm loving the sound and feel. It just feels so springy and low on vibration. Now I just have to dial in the swing. Playing 18 tomorrow and I'm sure I'll do better as I slow down and focus.

Looking forward to seeing War Eagle put this one in play on Sunday. I know when he gets excited about a driver, and he is here, he hits it really really well.

Looking forward to seeing War Eagle put this one in play on Sunday. I know when he gets excited about a driver, and he is here, he hits it really really well.

You know me and the range, getting this one out this weekend and putting it to the test is going to be fun.

You know me and the range, getting this one out this weekend and putting it to the test is going to be fun.

Do you want me to bring the FlightScope down for you?

Back