Callaway Apex Hybrid Review Thread

My instructor had me hitting cuts with my 20° today. No way I would have that confidence with any other hybrid I have played

Got my 5h yesterday and got it to the range. Found it almost impossible to "snap hook of death" with the KK 80 S shaft but could still hit a tiny draw when needed. I'm still not sure why Callaway's website is showing the KK 80 R at 69 grams - as opposed to Mitsu's site (now gone but still on golfworks) where it's listed as 81 grams. Perhaps Callaway has another version of it. The stiff shaft def feels several clicks more stout than the reg shaft I had demo'd a few times (s was not available for testing). At least it's not super expensive to replace if I want to go back to the r.

Golfworks.....................................................................................................Callaway
IjQ86EZ.png
TPPYCfc.png

Distance was the perfect gap longer than my 6-iron so it really does fit in as a 5 iron replacement. Penetrating but still can hit it plenty high with some runout - so it will be my 185-190 yd club.

Definitely what I was looking for over my prior XR 5h although tbh - it was mostly the PX 5.5 R shaft in the XR 5h that wasn't the best fit and the XR hybrids are still fantastic so If I go for a 3H it will probably be an XR with PX 6.0.

Is the hype still real on this? Going to the PGASS tomorrow and this is on the agenda to demo.

Is the hype still real on this? Going to the PGASS tomorrow and this is on the agenda to demo.

it's good. Won't be for everyone, if you want more right to left help it might be better off going the XR route. If not, than this should be up your alley.

In my short time with it, it's legit. Plays more like an iron replacement and sets up nicely at address. I'm sure the XR line is longer if distance is what your after, but for what it was designed and seeing it perform first hand, there is no hype here. Its a great club.

2 rounds with the 5h now and it's been great anywhere from 185-195 yds out nice and straight, especially off the turf. I'm actually hitting it farther than my old XR5h with way more accuracy and none of the horrible snappers.

The KK 80 S isn't too boardy or anything either and a good fit for my swing speed, which I actually don't know anymore as it's been a few years. Meh.

I went to the PGA SS over the weekend and hit this club in a 2H, XR OS, and XR Pro. I was all over the place since this was really the first time I swung a club since early January. Once I calmed down and got my swing back in order, the Apex was the clear winner.

Played 18 yesterday at the course I can play in the winter, not crazy long so I pull this club often, my 4h. It is easily my favorite club to hit out of my entire bag of awesomeness, the ease with which the ball launches coincided with the feeling off the face make for an awesome feeling. I am looking forward to see how this club with change my game off the tee this coming spring if I can get within and 7,8, or 9 iron with it on some par 4s, it could be deadly for me, well for my opponents that is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demo'ed this one today outdoors. The 4 with the kuro kage graphite shaft. Man I loved it. Looks a bit more like an iron than many others, which is what drew me to it in the first place, but gave you all the forgiveness of a hybrid. Absolutely awesome club. Would have to get on a launch monitor to figure out my gaps before I purchased one though. My 5 iron is 23 degrees, which is the same loft as the 4 in this one, but the apex has a much longer shaft and I was definitely hitting it further than my 5 iron. Might be able to just go from my 5 iron to this one in the 4, even though they are the same loft. Which would be perfect.

I never thought I would be the guy, but the Apex 5 hybrid is not leaving my bag anytime soon. Its crazy easy to hit, offers a ball flight I love and gives me the ability to really rethink the bottom of my bag.

You know how much I loved my adams hybrid, the fact this has completely replaced the adams in my bag says its NOT hype :)

Its not hype when its real.

Seeing everyone has a ton of success with this hybrid makes me ask myself why they just didnt work for me. Loved the feel, loved the sound, just couldnt get yardages to work for me. I hit my CF16 5i, the Apex 4H and Apex 3H all the same distances... makes me scratch my head

I kind of wish I ordered a 2nd one instead of the D9. I hit it twice yesterday during the round and both were hit well. I think there are long hybrids out there, but this just fit the gap I was looking for better. Really like it with the VTS Silver in it, but let's be honest I adore that shaft.

I never thought I would be the guy, but the Apex 5 hybrid is not leaving my bag anytime soon. Its crazy easy to hit, offers a ball flight I love and gives me the ability to really rethink the bottom of my bag.

Same here, I do not miss my 5i at all. Not one iota.

I have an Apex 3 Hybrid that I think we will use as a contest prize so another THPer can get a chance to test these out.

I have an Apex 3 Hybrid that I think we will use as a contest prize so another THPer can get a chance to test these out.

Someone's gonna get lucky. If I didn't enjoy my X2H 3H I would definitely add one to match my 4 & 5. Yes, they are that good.

I finally got to hit one of these again yesterday and came away impressed. Its much smaller footprint appeals to my eye much more so than the Alpha 815 to me. It was super easy to hit and appeared to be a nice draw flight for me.

You go with graphite or steel shaft? I'm pondering a steel shafted apex 5 hybrid move

You go with graphite or steel shaft? I'm pondering a steel shafted apex 5 hybrid move

He's playing the stock graphite IIRC.

I used to go steel in my hybos a lot, eventually though I tried heavy graphite and it gave me the best of both worlds as far as what I want/need.

Stock graphite in stiff

JB/JMan - What is the overall distance difference between your 5I and 5 HYB out of curiosity. Did they fit the distance gaps well?

JB/JMan - What is the overall distance difference between your 5I and 5 HYB out of curiosity. Did they fit the distance gaps well?

For me that is what I love about these, they literally fit that distance gap exactly as I need it (right in line behind my 6i) and give me a better flight for hitting into greens than I have ever had with a long iron before...and more forgiveness than a long iron.

Stock graphite in stiff

Are you finding that you have the same control as with your Apex Cf 16 irons?

They fly the same distance. One is more forgiving however.

Are you finding that you have the same control as with your Apex Cf 16 irons?

Yes sir. In fact possibly more so. I dont fear the miss as much with the hybrid, so I am able to really be aggressive.

Back