THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

Now that teams are set, what format during the event are you most worried about? For me it would be alt. shot I think because I would be worried about leaving my teammate in a bad spot.
And is anyone going to play any tournament type golf to get themselves prepared for the RR?

Man, you can't be worrying about leaving your teammate in a bad position. This is a team event. It's all about the team! You should never have to feel like you need to apologize for a bad shot to your teammate, you both are going to miss shots. The beauty of this format should take pressure off of you because you have a teammate to lean on. Let the captain feel the pressure. He's the one that's got to grind the most getting the pairings right. Once that's done, he can sit back and enjoy the ride. Gotta have fun with it.

I thought I would post this in all the Regional Rivalries...

Okay so here is my question and I think it serves well. I think for the community, these THP Regional Rivalries, and our sponsors.

Now that the teams are set how do you proceed to represent these events knowing that a MVP spot is on the line. TrueTemper is opening their doors for a lucky person from each of the three regional rivalries. You know the requirements to be named MVP...so what do you focus on???

Addition: Are you shooting for MVP? Three parts 1. Play 2. Sportsmanship 3. Social Media. Where do you lack and where do you excel?
The one thing I think I've learned in this process is just be yourself and contribute to the forum and social media as much or as little as you like. Then let the chips fall where they may! Sure, I'd love to win the MVP (you'd have to be brain dead not to) but it has nothing to do with the responsibility I feel I have to THP and Team DMV for giving me the opportunity. I'm still learning things on the social media side but once I do I must confess it's fun. I'm still meeting and learning names (slowly) on the forum. The more I get into the process the more I like it as I have only been involved with great folks so far and don't expect anything to change in that arena. Buy the way that also includes my golf. I will be as prepared as I can and try my hardest but if it doesn't work out the experience and people are more important in the long run. I really want to enjoy the whole thing as there is no way to know if I'll get another chance, life is funny that way!!

This is true when one is out for a casual round and has some time between holes, or is waiting to make an approach shot. Just from my own experience in the KO Classic event maintaining focus on the match at hand, pace of play, and being able to post forum and social media updates makes things more challenging. Even more so when you're playing from a deficit. DAMHIKT. It can be done, as others have demonstrated, but you have to be able to multi-task well and plan for when you want to post updates. My strategy was to update the forum after every hole, twitter after every 3, and throw in a few pics/periscopes given the chance. YMMV.

I'm going to disagree with you here. The only thing you have direct control over, from the perspective of the match itself, is your shot-at-hand. Focus on executing that, and be prepared to accept where the chips fall. One big part of that is expecting your opponents to execute every shot they need to. Nothing is worse than seeing your opponent's ball in the trees, while yours is in the fairway, and thinking you have the upper hand only to have them knock a hero-shot stiff to kick in distance. It's a body blow that is hard to recover from. DAMHIKT, either. :beat-up:

I'm lucky if I can update the "Live Round" thread with any consistency. It does take away from my concentration a lot. I feel if I can post a score on the App just as though I'm writing the score on the scorecard (like the olden days!) then that's enough for me. I'm not one to be posting in between shots. If I needed a commentator I would call Feherty cause mine would be comical! I'm out there to play golf & enjoy the day. Maybe I can rely on my partner to do the scoring?

Oh well, you can only control yourself. You can't do anything about the other player. (Unless you try to get in someone's head) You have to be thinking that the other guy is Never out of the hole and even though they might be in the trees, they can scramble they can still be in the hole. JMO.

Not a Sermon .... Just a Thought

My twitter and Instagram are both @unexpectedp.

Question. Is the course we're playing public or private? I'm interested in playing a practice round on Friday.

My twitter and Instagram are both @unexpectedp.

Question. Is the course we're playing public or private? I'm interested in playing a practice round on Friday.
Public course. As it gets a touch closer we will work out practice rounds. I know I will be up there and several others have expressed that same.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My main focus is on getting better and being able to contribute to the (winning) team. I don't even mind loosing but I don't want to suck and not even be competitive and drag down a partner. The MVP would be great, but I'm just gonna do my best for the team and THP and if that is MVP worthy, so be it. As the highest cap in this thing...that's my goal, not to suck.

...well that and some amazingly creative smack talk in here.

CaraLosers!! HA...see how amazing that was.

Just to give one correction to the question that was posed. The MVP is not 3 parts, its 4 and the forum participation is as (or more) important to us than that of social media. However to win, all 4 points will need to be in position.

My apologies JB. I was grouping #3 as Forum/Social Media. As the forum is in my mind more important than the Social Media aspect (Twitter/Instagram/Facebook). In the same regards it is great to see THP trend.

Twitter - @cyoung2ty

Instagram - cyoung2ty

Sent From My Samsung Note 4 Using Tapatalk

So anyone free to play next Friday morning? I have a busy week culminating in a Thursday workshop ... and I'm taking off the day after to decompress. Was thinking Cheraw State Park (will call about playing conditions), but can play elsewhere as long as I can be back in Florence by 5.

So anyone free to play next Friday morning? I have a busy week culminating in a Thursday workshop ... and I'm taking off the day after to decompress. Was thinking Cheraw State Park (will call about playing conditions), but can play elsewhere as long as I can be back in Florence by 5.
I would but I will be in ohio

Throw that in the local thread may have some takers

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm on Twitter @asubeaufoster. Be warned, I'm prolific.

Now that teams are set, what format during the event are you most worried about? For me it would be alt. shot I think because I would be worried about leaving my teammate in a bad spot.
And is anyone going to play any tournament type golf to get themselves prepared for the RR?

I've played alternate shot where I had to hit my shot from the next fairway, short sided bunker, off a severe downslope, and behind trees. In all situations I 1. didn't care, 2. had a great time trying to pull the shot off, and 3. forgot about it quickly and moved on. I was once paired with a max handicap (36 or so) and I put him in the bunker 3 times in a row. All 3 times he left the ball within 5 feet of the hole, he told me that was the first 3 times he ever got out of a bunker. Was an awesome experience for both of us.

The last thing you can do is get out of your game and start to worry.

MBurnham18 on both twitter and instagram for me.

I think all the formats will a be a blast. Although it is not easy, alternate shot is the most fun. You and your partner are the consummate team in that format which is fun and sometimes really funny! It is a great time to get really get to know someone!! Love it!!

By the way, couldn't care less who our captain pairs with me. I would be happy to play any of you gentlemen at any time. The reverse may not be true yet but I'm working on it! Have a desire to be the best teammate I can!!

So ... as I get ready for this event I have a couple of things going through my mind. First obviously is improving my swing consistency. I think part of that is focus, because when I actually put my mind to it, I can see good-ish results. I won't be shooting par anytime soon, but I can get around the course as a bogey golfer. Second is club selection. I'm happy with my driver, and my hybrids on down. It's the fairway woods which are giving me fits. Basically they're unhittable - for me - off the deck. I don't even try any longer, and I'm glad I have the 4H at my disposal because otherwise I'd be a total mess. The FY(brid) is a great option for me off the tee, partly because of the slightly shorter shaft that W/S designed it with. I can play a 7W fairly well off the deck, but it's going to overlap with the FY. So ... do I forsake the 4W (I'm thinking yes) and where do I go from there? Not sure a 60* wedge is in the cards for me ... which really leaves me grasping for a 14th club. I could put in my "beater club" which I liked to use for punch shots, and in areas where I didn't care about scuffing up a club.

The other option is to wait and see just how my lessons and ball striking progress ... though I hold out no hope that hitting a 4W would improve dramatically enough for me to consider playing it off the deck by July (though stranger things have happened).

... though I hold out no hope that hitting a 4W would improve dramatically enough for me to consider playing it off the deck by July (though stranger things have happened).

Here is a good question I ask most people on the course when I see them struggling with a club, I ask them exactly what they want the club to do. Most don't have an answer or shape in mind. They just say "go strait".

When I pull my 3 wood I know I can't hit it high, or straight, or cut it, it's setup to fly a penetrating ball flight with a draw towards the end that rolls. I can't cut it so if the shot calls for a 250 cut I just lay up, it's not what the club does for me.

Point I'm trying to make is know exactly what you want to do with the club or take it out of the bag =). If you can hit a high cut with the 4 wood over and over leave it in the bag and pull it for that, if you hit worm burners that run 220 yards, use it for that!

Here is a good question I ask most people on the course when I see them struggling with a club, I ask them exactly what they want the club to do. Most don't have an answer or shape in mind. They just say "go strait".

When I pull my 3 wood I know I can't hit it high, or straight, or cut it, it's setup to fly a penetrating ball flight with a draw towards the end that rolls. I can't cut it so if the shot calls for a 250 cut I just lay up, it's not what the club does for me.

Point I'm trying to make is know exactly what you want to do with the club or take it out of the bag =). If you can hit a high cut with the 4 wood over and over leave it in the bag and pull it for that, if you hit worm burners that run 220 yards, use it for that!

^^^I like it!!

So "Grip and Rip it" doesn't apply to you!!!

I am not worried about any of the formats. Everyone has to hit shots and we all have bad shots. I will try to get in some type of tournament golf but I'm usually playing 1-2 rounds a month of two man best ball matches with friends

This is great advice for any level HDCP. Well done.

So "Grip and Rip it" doesn't apply to you!!!

Only with the driver... wait, that's not true, I have 2 drivers... One goes left, the other goes right, I take the one for the course I'm playing. I also have 2 shafts for those drivers, one for tight courses, one for wide open. . . I guess I don't "Grip it and Rip it" :bulgy-eyes:

I can top it, and not really much of a need for that out on the course!

Ok. I just woke up and I see I have a lot of catching up to do on here. So give me little bit and I will hopefully get some questions answered that have posed.

Also my handles are

Instagram Dustin8738
Twitter @strickdl
Facebook Dustin Strickland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by mikedean441
So now that the fields are set, and the formats are known, what kind of golfer benefits/compliments you most as a partner?

Do you need length off the tee to have shorter iron shots, need someone with a good short game, or a good putter...etc?

I copied this from the Ohio Michigan thread.... What do you think???

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by mikedean441
So now that the fields are set, and the formats are known, what kind of golfer benefits/compliments you most as a partner?

Do you need length off the tee to have shorter iron shots, need someone with a good short game, or a good putter...etc?

I copied this from the Ohio Michigan thread.... What do you think???

I could definitely use someone with length. Not my strong suit...

Back