Wedge Set reccomendations

CTHEMMEN

Reaction score
Handicap
9ish
Hello Everyone,

i am looking at getting new wedges this year. currently i have a 52, 56, 58 degree set up and it just doesn't fit right for my game anymore. I am a 9HC. I have a 45* pitching Wedge, and a 50* AW. i hit my PW 130 - 140, AW 120-130, 52* 110, 56*100. 58 i use around the greens and in bunkers. i find my yardages are off and i have a gap in the 70 to 110 yard range and fight between sawing off my AW or hammering on a 52. i don't like full shots with my 56* it just doesn't come off the face nice. im thinking of a 54 and 58 addition to the bag. should i axe the 52*?

any recommendations would be great.

Cheers,

You're a better player than me, but I used to have a similar setup (60 in place of 58 though), and I have benefitted greatly from switching to just a 54 and 60. I have consistent yardage gapping now, and if I need to take some off to hit a number in-between, I feel confident in doing so.

I go PW 45, then 50, 54 and 58 I like the 4* gap. If you don't like 3/4 shots to get that distance, choke down an inch and take a full swing.

I did the same thing you're considering. I now go AW (50), then 54, 58. Unfortunately its mid-winter here so I haven't been able to test it out yet. But in theory, it closes up the gap I used to have between my gap and 56

I find this hard to answer.

If the 58º is your main tool around the green, I could see a new 54º and 58º (Like you suggest) working out and ditching the 56º. It does not sound like you're using it much as it is. The 2º isn't a very big loft gap between your AW and Gap. But if you are looking at the actual yardage gaps with full shots: it is what it is.

I don't feel like club length is a huge factor with wedges (if you're thinking about cutting down your AW) At some point your lie angle and length bottoms out in most setups. The turf interaction, bounce, and sole width might be a bigger factor between your full and partial shots.

Also... I'm pretty sure everyone hits a wall and struggles more with gaps once you're into partial shots. At least I do.

With your question I'd seek out someone who knows you better and can make suggestions first hand...
As a 9 handicap (which is about the level where I'm coming from) playing different courses differently, at best I'm just confirming or glad handing your own thoughts on the matter.

I'd ditch the 52 and go 54 58 or 54/60.

Use that extra slot for an extra tee club on top of the bag.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Whoah ... That's allot of wedges ... I only carry pw and 2 others. (Currently looking at Switching from 52,56 to 54 60)

Personally it comes down to what you use where. But surely you are sacrificing elsewhere at the moment.

Recommend finding 2 wedges that work.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

I find this hard to answer.

If the 58º is your main tool around the green, I could see a new 54º and 58º (Like you suggest) working out and ditching the 56º. It does not sound like you're using it much as it is. The 2º isn't a very big loft gap between your AW and Gap. But if you are looking at the actual yardage gaps with full shots: it is what it is.

I don't feel like club length is a huge factor with wedges (if you're thinking about cutting down your AW) At some point your lie angle and length bottoms out in most setups. The turf interaction, bounce, and sole width might be a bigger factor between your full and partial shots.

Also... I'm pretty sure everyone hits a wall and struggles more with gaps once you're into partial shots. At least I do.

With your question I'd seek out someone who knows you better and can make suggestions first hand...
As a 9 handicap (which is about the level where I'm coming from) playing different courses differently, at best I'm just confirming or glad handing your own thoughts on the matter.

+1
c.png

I needed extra length so I have bigger gaps I go PW at 47*, SW 54*, and lob at 60*. I like having a set type club at the top as the lowest loft because I can do bump and runs and partial 100-75ish shots with it. I use the 54 from 75-50. Inside of 50 it just depends on the setup, I could use any of the 3. I like to pitch with the PW and chip with the SW. I generally flop with the 60. I have never had a lob wedge I liked till this hi- toe. I generally bladed them a lot. This for some reason just presents behind the ball really well and makes me feel much more comfortable swinging it.

Hello Everyone,

i am looking at getting new wedges this year. currently i have a 52, 56, 58 degree set up and it just doesn't fit right for my game anymore. I am a 9HC. I have a 45* pitching Wedge, and a 50* AW. i hit my PW 130 - 140, AW 120-130, 52* 110, 56*100. 58 i use around the greens and in bunkers. i find my yardages are off and i have a gap in the 70 to 110 yard range and fight between sawing off my AW or hammering on a 52. i don't like full shots with my 56* it just doesn't come off the face nice. im thinking of a 54 and 58 addition to the bag. should i axe the 52*?

any recommendations would be great.

Cheers,
the 45* PW and 50* are perfect ( I have the same setup).. then I would go 54 and 58

What I found helped the most is to put the correct shafts in the 50 and 54 cuz I primarily use those for full swings. The 58 I have a softer (Hi Rev 2.0) shaft since its more for touch and bunked play. I'll never hit a full 58, but with the right shaft I'm perfectly comfortable hitting a half or 3/4 swing with the 54

My advice.

Think distance gaps, not loft gaps. Too many get caught up in loft gaps and assume its a 1:1 ratio for distance too.

It comes down to how you play your wedges.

For me, I want my GW lofted closer to my PW because it’s still a full swing club for me, and I like having the ability to take that club from a wider window of distances which a stronger loft does. The SW for me remains a full or partial swing club and usually plays in the 54 range. LW loft will vary with the set/club and is a precision shot only club for me, no full swings, so it’s loft gap from the SW is usually larger than the whole 4* thing many harp on.

It took me years and years of worrying about perfect loft gaps to realize they aren’t the important thing, it’s how you use them, what you demand out of them, and how far you hit them.

Agree to not get hung up on the lofts but the yardage gaps. I have a 14-15 yard gap between all of my 4 wedges and had two of them bent to custom lofts to get that consistent gap. If you have trouble with a full swing with any of your wedges you likely need to fix your technique and I’d highly recommend the Impact Snap trainer.

My advice.

Think distance gaps, not loft gaps. Too many get caught up in loft gaps and assume its a 1:1 ratio for distance too.

It comes down to how you play your wedges.

For me, I want my GW lofted closer to my PW because it’s still a full swing club for me, and I like having the ability to take that club from a wider window of distances which a stronger loft does. The SW for me remains a full or partial swing club and usually plays in the 54 range. LW loft will vary with the set/club and is a precision shot only club for me, no full swings, so it’s loft gap from the SW is usually larger than the whole 4* thing many harp on.

It took me years and years of worrying about perfect loft gaps to realize they aren’t the important thing, it’s how you use them, what you demand out of them, and how far you hit them.

This is exactly what I have in the Grandaddy set - I've got a 44 degree PW, so go with a 48 degree wedge for the gap there. Then, from there I've got 54-58 wedges for around the green. I went with the 4 degree gap instead of up to 60 because I've had more success with 58 than 60 in the past, but it purely may be a mental thing.

Haven't run into issues yet, and gapping was just about perfect.

Use all of my wedges for full swing as well as partial swing. Starts with 46* PW and goes to 50, 54 and 58. Gaps are 10 - 12 yards. PW 130 max, 50 118 max, 54 106 max, 58 96 max. The 50, 54, 58 setup from a 45 or 46 PW has always worked best for me to maximize the versatility and yardage gapping of all wedges.

And...welcome to THP!

thanks for all the input everyone. i appreciate the help. im going to go with a 54 and 58. i am comfortable with 3/4 shots with my 50* and when i get back on the course i can work on the in between shots with the 54. unfortunately i wont be out on the course for a few months. Winter has been a real pain this year. it's -40C with windchill today. lots of basement putting and chipping into the net.
thanks again.

Back