Votes: 16 10.6%
  • 2 Minutes to walk around from all angles

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • About a minute to get it read from 2 sides

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • I take a quick glance and then fire away

Votes: 78 51.7%

• Total voters
If it's a pretty flat surface with not much break, I'll just take a quick glance and then go. If it's a pretty contoured green, I'll take a little more time, but not much.

I answered "as long as I need". I'm not going to rush a non-tap in putt out of convenience. With that said, I am a very quick golfer and putt when I'm ready, but very quickly.

How Long To Lineup A Putt?

If I'm really trying, as long as it takes. To make putts I have to believe I've got the exact right line and read.

I don't know how much time that actually is or if it's similar from hole to hole. I'm aware of pace of play and unless that's an issue I'm taking more time around the greens.

Last edited:
15-20 seconds max. Any longer and I over analyze it!

i've tried to get more "feel" in my putting and less "mechanics." i don't even use the alignment line anymore. so i'll put the ball down, walk to the halfway point on the low side, go up to the cup to see what the ball does if i miss long, go back behind my ball to see the line, set up, then try not to take too long to let it go. i'd like to think that's all within 60 seconds, but i'm not entirely sure.

I voted as long as I need but that could be 15 seconds to a minute. When I pull up to a green I'm already eye balling the breaks, rise/fall and while others are lining up their putts I'll do the 90* look over etc so when it's my turn I already know what I intend to do so It's just place my ball and a couple of practice swings then execute it.

my answer is somewhere between the last two options. I will try to get looks at it from three angles but will do so while others are putting so when its my turn im not taking a ton of time to line up my putt
Exact same routine for me, I try and read it as much as possible while others are going, so once it's my turn it's a point and shoot.

I voted about a minute, but I am usually around the 30 second mark. BTW I think this got posted in the wrong section?

I'm between game a quick glance and a minute from both sides. If I'm not familiar with the greens I will look at it from both sides but if it's a familiar course it's a quick look

I usually am looking at the layout of the green as I'm approaching and try to walk up either behind my ball or from behind the hole. Rarely do I walk all around the putt, it's usually take a look from a few feet behind my ball, line up and take 4 sweeps of the putter to get my self loose, put the putter behind the ball and look down the imaginary putt line 3 quick times and let it roll. The whole process is probably 45 seconds max.

I think I'm between 30 sec and minute when I putt.

I just get up there and whack it. Sometimes, I'd say 50-50, I'll look at the putt from behind the hole. Most times I simply pick my line and go--as the more time I spend over the ball, the more likely I am to talk myself out of the correct read.

I will usually take a look from the side, take a look from behind and pick a spot to aim at. Then I line up my ball, take 2 practice strokes from behind and then step in and roll it.

Don't know how long it takes, but I would guess less than a minute

I take a quick look and fire away. In reality at least in competitive play I should take a little longer. But hey I despise slow play its so not necessary!!

I'm somewhere between "quick glance" and "about a minute". I generally don't look at the putt from both sides of the hole unless it's a big slope or has more than one obvious break.

I take a quick read from behind the ball and if no one in on the same line, I will walk up trying to feel a line with the feet. This usually takes less than 30 seconds, depending on the complexity of the putt

Why is this in the Golf Style-Apparel & Shoes thread?

Probably around 15-20 seconds for me. If I have extra time and people are putting I'll look at it from different angles. But even if I do, I still almost always go with my initial read, from behind the ball.

I do a lot of my preputt work walking up to the green and marking my ball. Most times if I'm not first I'm ready to go as soon as it's my turn. No matter when I am on the course I try to take no more than 45 seconds to execute my shot.

Why is this in the Golf Style-Apparel & Shoes thread?

I usually take a look from both sides depending on the length of the putt, but I never take longer than a minute. If it's a longer putt I generally line it up from one side and try to get it close.

I voted both sides, but really its just from the ball to the hole or halfway to the hole.

Also, if I can figure out which way its breaking definitively I'm pretty quick at reading it.
I take more time when I can't figure out which way its going to break.

Similar to others, I try to read it as I walk up to the putt.

Ideally I like to at least read from both sides when I will do while others putt.

Back