Carpet putting king?

Evok

Don't worry, Be happy!
Reaction score
Handicap
So I've been putting on the carpet a bunch this winter and have noticed some stuff. I seem to hit my target on the carpet quite often, even switching to different carpets and locations. It would appear that my ability to make a decent stroke or consistent stroke is there and I feel my setup must be half decent but it doesn't seem to translate to the course. My putting hasnt been all that good in the last few years and now im wondering if it's just my ability to read greens is terrible. Is there any correlation here? Can anything be gained by carpet putting and what can I do to bring my good putting to the greens? Just an interesting thought.

Play a course with slow flat greens. I'm kidding. Could it be that you get "yippy" outside? I have to concentrate not to get yippy. As far as reading greens. If it's a tough read. What helps me is I will get behind my ball. Crouch down. Look at my line to the pin. Then I close my eyes for a second or two. When I open them I focus on the first line I see. That helps me a ton.

Play a course with slow flat greens. I'm kidding. Could it be that you get "yippy" outside? I have to concentrate not to get yippy. As far as reading greens. If it's a tough read. What helps me is I will get behind my ball. Crouch down. Look at my line to the pin. Then I close my eyes for a second or two. When I open them I focus on the first line I see. That helps me a ton.
I do second guess myself a lot on the greens. I often go behind the hole and seem to see something different than in front so perhaps I could try just looking from one direction.

In practice you remember more of the shots made.
In a real game you remember more of the shots you miss.

Also just means you need to read the green a little better and predict what it's going to do to the ball.

In practice you remember more of the shots made.
In a real game you remember more of the shots you miss.

Also just means you need to read the green a little better and predict what it's going to do to the ball.
For sure but I guess im unsure how I can do that haha

Me neither. :messed:

Luckily practicing putting at the range is free.

On the practice green before I play. I putt balls from 4,8 and 12 feet. Putt those and move to the side and make 3 more putts. do this twice more and for me it gives a good pace that I need to putt the ball. And give you a chance to read the green for the different distances.

When just practicing I add a couple more balls to lengthen the putts and move around the green to different holes. This has really helped my reading of the greens and the pace needed to get the ball to die just past the hole if I miss. I know some courses only have flat greens, fortunately ours has some difficult slopes to practice on.

I do no winter inside hitting because I hate nets and mats, and I do a little carpet putting, but very little. I'll wait for the real greens.

Maybe you can try this - on breaking putts, determine the point along your line where gravity takes over your putt to get the ball into the hole. Putt to that point.

Maybe you can try this - on breaking putts, determine the point along your line where gravity takes over your putt to get the ball into the hole. Putt to that point.
I'll try working on that. Thanks for the tip

The key to being able to learn how to read break is hitting your line consistently. If you miss your line left or right, figuring out the correct break is going to be very difficult. My carpet putting is limited to hitting a spot about 16" in front of a ball with different length strokes.

Here's my take on carpet putting.
1. Wear shoes or slippers that approximate the hight of the soles of your golf shoes. This affects where you grip the club, stance, lie angle, and feel, and just like a putter that's too long or short will cause differences in posture and feel and direction between carpet and green.
2. Work on your routine. Don't stand in one place and putt a dozen balls. Step out, step in and set up, aim, and basically go through each putt like you do on the course.
3 Focus on contact and consistency sometimes. The biggest marker in how well you putt is your consistency in hitting the same spot on the face every putt. Take the hole out of the question and putt towards a wall trying to stop the ball before it makes contact.
4. Make some harder challenges like standing a tee on end and knocking it over. Making the target smaller really helps when you want to see the ball roll to a small target on the green.
5. Spend some time watching the ball go in the hole. Help your mental image of being a good putter who "always makes those" short putts.

So I've been putting on the carpet a bunch this winter and have noticed some stuff. I seem to hit my target on the carpet quite often, even switching to different carpets and locations. It would appear that my ability to make a decent stroke or consistent stroke is there and I feel my setup must be half decent but it doesn't seem to translate to the course. My putting hasnt been all that good in the last few years and now im wondering if it's just my ability to read greens is terrible. Is there any correlation here? Can anything be gained by carpet putting and what can I do to bring my good putting to the greens? Just an interesting thought.

I faced much the same thing when I went from practicing on a little putting mat to rolling real putts on tough greens at the Kickoff Classic. I went down there with plenty of confidence I could roll it along my intended line yet for the most part putted horribly until the last day, primarily because I wasn't reading the putts well. Even on a practice green you can quickly get a feel for how a putt will roll within just a few strokes. Carpet putting is good for honing your stroke and pace, but that's about it. But it's better than nothing at all.

I practice on a granite or concrete floor. I found out I adjust quicker from fast to slow than the other way around. Also, in fast surfaces the breaks are exaggerated.

Putting on carpet is fine, as long as you're focusing on mechanics and stroke over anything else. That's my take. Speed is one thing, but most carpets won't come close to true green speeds in most cases. So, focusing on fundamentals of your stroke will help more so.

I have been doing this a lot lately, and I think it has helped me. I have gotten a much more consistent stroke which is helping me get the ball started out on the line I choose on the course more often. I putt on a couple different carpets around the house, too, to mix up speeds. It all sounds goofy but I really think it's been helping me adjust to green speeds a lot quicker. At least I like to think it's helping... lol.

Back