Bridgestone J15 Cast Iron Review

I got to put these in play today finally. I can say they are soooo much easier to game for me than the J40, I'm still getting adjusted to them because they are a little longer than my J40's were. The longer irons, probably 8i-5i, were really easy to hit and I didn't have much of an issue with them. The AW-9i though I hit fat all day, which is completely on me, and left myself short on approach shots on most of the holes I played today. Both of my local driving ranges are closed for the season until we get some better weather, but once I get a little range time in with these I think I can easily get things ironed out. I think these could be so much better for my game then my last couple sets of irons. I haven't been this excited to go to the driving range for a long time!

Last edited:
Weather permitting, I'll be swinging these again tomorrow. I don't have probably 3-4 rounds with them but so far so good!

I got to put these in play today finally. I can say they are soooo much easier to game for me than the J40, I'm still getting adjusted to them because they are a little longer than my J40's were. The longer irons, probably 8i-5i, were really easy to hit and I didn't have much of an issue with them. The AW-9i though I hit fat all day, which is completely on me, and left myself short on approach shots on most of the holes I played today. Both of my local driving ranges are closed for the season until we get some better weather, but once I get a little range time in with these I think I can easily get things ironed out. I think these could be so much better for my game then my last couple sets of irons. I haven't been this excited to go to the driving range for a long time!

FWIW, I hated the AW for a little while. It later became one of the best clubs in the set though.

JM

FWIW, I hated the AW for a little while. It later became one of the best clubs in the set though.

JM

Thanks JM, I actually thought about that during my round today a little bit. I did have a couple nice shots with the AW late in my round, but not enough to have an excellent round for me. Besides the fat iron shots, I played really well today and I can see the promise in the irons. It's definitely going to be an adjustment, in terms of the physical length of them being longer which I think will be better for me and getting the yardages the clubs will play at down.

JM

I was going to add after yesterdays round that the AW is my new best friend. For some reason I never gave it much of a chance but I could not hit my 2.0's worth a crap yesterday and on the back nine I started using the AW for everything under 100 and it flat out did everything I asked it to do. I know it's not 100% of the reason I shot a 53-45 but it was a real life saver on the back nine.

Glad your still liking these JM! How are the soles of the clubs holding up?

I was going to add after yesterdays round that the AW is my new best friend. For some reason I never gave it much of a chance but I could not hit my 2.0's worth a crap yesterday and on the back nine I started using the AW for everything under 100 and it flat out did everything I asked it to do. I know it's not 100% of the reason I shot a 53-45 but it was a real life saver on the back nine.

Nice! It took us a while, but we get along great now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad your still liking these JM! How are the soles of the clubs holding up?

Doing very well! Still look almost new. These are more of a chrome type finish and not satin bough.

I had an excellent round with these on Saturday. My iron play really was next level for me, I had changed the grips out to midsize, so that might have helped a little. Early on I had a lot of problems with fat shot, I only had a couple through 27 holes on Saturday, so the adjusting phase is going well. I leaned on the AW for a ton of shots too, anything from 90-120 yards and everything right around the greens using a little putting stroke and it worked great. Had one shot from 100 yards that looked like it was going in, ended up 2' short and had a tap in birdie. This set was just so easy to hit, I really am loving the forgiveness I'm getting out of these compared to the J40's. It almost feels like cheating.

I had an excellent round with these on Saturday. My iron play really was next level for me, I had changed the grips out to midsize, so that might have helped a little. Early on I had a lot of problems with fat shot, I only had a couple through 27 holes on Saturday, so the adjusting phase is going well. I leaned on the AW for a ton of shots too, anything from 90-120 yards and everything right around the greens using a little putting stroke and it worked great. Had one shot from 100 yards that looked like it was going in, ended up 2' short and had a tap in birdie. This set was just so easy to hit, I really am loving the forgiveness I'm getting out of these compared to the J40's. It almost feels like cheating.

Im telling you, that AW is a nice little gem in that set!

Found a really good deal on these in a shaft I really want to play. Going through the reviews it looks like there are still some people playing these. Do you guys still like these? I am a low to mid 20's handicap but think my iron play is a little better then my handicap. I have been playing srixon 545's. I love bridgestone stuff and it feels like everything I hit from them fits me well. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Found a really good deal on these in a shaft I really want to play. Going through the reviews it looks like there are still some people playing these. Do you guys still like these? I am a low to mid 20's handicap but think my iron play is a little better then my handicap. I have been playing srixon 545's. I love bridgestone stuff and it feels like everything I hit from them fits me well. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I am a van of what Bridgestone has done and disappointed that I didn't spend time with these at the event last year. Having played the DFs and the z545s I prefer the feel and look of the z545s over the j15 cast. For me if I had to choose between the two it woukd be the Srixons for the feel.

I am a van of what Bridgestone has done and disappointed that I didn't spend time with these at the event last year. Having played the DFs and the z545s I prefer the feel and look of the z545s over the j15 cast. For me if I had to choose between the two it woukd be the Srixons for the feel.

I game the J15 Cast irons and I love them, but they would lack in the feel department compared to the 545's. The J15's for me are extremely forgiving and I've been known to be all over the face.

I have maybe 6 rounds in now, and like you I'm a low 20's handicap. I came from Speedblades and I actually like these better. I have only had 2 6 iron hits with the 545's but I'll be honest... If you wanted to trade me your 545's for the J15 cast I would do it in a heartbeat. Don't get me wrong, I love my J15's but I loved the feel of the 545's. I do think some of it had to do with the recoil shafts however. To make a long story short, I wouldn't trade my J15's for anything other than the 545's but I don't see that happening soon so I will be happily gaming a very incredibly forgiving set of J15 cast irons.

I've really been happy with my change from my old J40 combo set. I'm around your cap and my irons are one of the stronger parts of my game. I had no problem gaming the J40's and probably could have used them for several more years. The trade off I made was the "feel" of a forged player's iron for the forgiveness and ease of play of the J15. I don't feel like the J15's are paddles or a numb feeling club either though. They are a really fun set of irons to play and I don't think you can go wrong either way you go really.

Lot of good thoughts fellas. I appreciate it. The feel thing was something that I thought about. Still kind of torn on what I am gonna do.

Lot of good thoughts fellas. I appreciate it. The feel thing was something that I thought about. Still kind of torn on what I am gonna do.
What are you looking for with the change? Why are you moving away from the 545s?

What are you looking for with the change? Why are you moving away from the 545s?

Honestly not sure. They are just really cheap and something I have looked at for a while. Anything Bridgestone I have played, I have liked. I am not a huge "feel" guy when I play but like the idea of a more forgiving iron eventhough I really like my 545s. I have hit the newer mizuno irons that are also cast and liked those a lot. Didn't feel bad at all.

Maybe the bigger draw is the shaft for me because they are recoil shafts and I have always wanted those.

Sometimes you've got to scratch an itch. If you regret the purchase it sounds like you can get your money back because of the favorable price.

Glad to see people talking about these irons again. Still loving mine for sure. FWIW, I like the FEEL of a well struck shot. It doesn't matter to me if the club is cast or forged to be honest. I posted in another thread tonight that feel was important to me in irons too. Just to be clear, it has nothing to do with butter or soft or anything like that for me when talking about feel. Good feel to me is that iron shot where it feels like the ball wasn't even there. That type of shot is able to be felt regardless of material. IMHO it is the combination of forgiveness (face size) sole, weight and swing.

For me, the J15 Cast puts all of that together more often than other clubs I have tried and reproduces the feel of the ball not being there more frequently. It doesn't hurt that they are about a half club longer for me either. Whatever you decide to do KB1042, make sure it is what is best for you. I had some good dudes talk me out of the clubs I wanted because they knew my swing and what would be best for me. In the end it was the absolute right decision too. I love forged and I love cast equally. I am way over buttery feel and soft as a baby's bottom irons. I LOVE irons that maximize what swing I bring on any given day.

Good luck man!

JM

Played these again today... I honestly don't know why I would ever "need" to change these out! Solid irons and reliable results!

has anyone ever done a comparison with the callaway xr?
comparing top line, bottom, overall size, and distance?

I have the J15 Cast and a set of XR Pro's I tinker with. I can say the distance between those two sets a pretty close, the XR Pro's are smaller but I think the J15's would be pretty close to the XR's. I can snap a pic of those two if it would help you out.

That would be great if you could.
I actually have a set of the xrp as well.
I have the J15 Cast and a set of XR Pro's I tinker with. I can say the distance between those two sets a pretty close, the XR Pro's are smaller but I think the J15's would be pretty close to the XR's. I can snap a pic of those two if it would help you out.

Here you go:

The J15 are a little bigger but without having both in hand I never think about the J15 be a thick and chunky iron. They are very forgiving, long, and still pretty easy on the eyes IMO. I haven't had them very long, but I've really enjoyed my time with them so far.

Back