Mizuno ST190 vs. Ping G400 Max Conundrum

Rebel4life

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Mid
At my Club Champion fitting last Friday, the fitter recommended that I still with my Ping G-30, but that was not comparing it to the ST190 nor the G400 Max (neither of which I got to hit). I've read great things about the G400 Max here and elsewhere, and am opening to buying one. On Saturday, I did get to hit the ST190 at a demo day and it felt really good. Nice hit shots with a baby fade, and I like the sound. But, the rep didn't have a launch monitor so I have no data.

I may just stick with my G30, but I'd love some input. I'm really torn between the ST190 and the G400 Max. From my short time with the Mizuno, and what I've read here, I think either driver would suit my game. :confused2:

We are going to have a great episode of Range Days coming up in the next few weeks on that Mizuno lineup.

At my Club Champion fitting last Friday, the fitter recommended that I still with my Ping G-30, but that was not comparing it to the ST190 nor the G400 Max (neither of which I got to hit). I've read great things about the G400 Max here and elsewhere, and am opening to buying one. On Saturday, I did get to hit the ST190 at a demo day and it felt really good. Nice hit shots with a baby fade, and I like the sound. But, the rep didn't have a launch monitor so I have no data.

I may just stick with my G30, but I'd love some input. I'm really torn between the ST190 and the G400 Max. From my short time with the Mizuno, and what I've read here, I think either driver would suit my game. :confused2:

I went through a full driver fitting last month with the idea that my G25 was lagging behind - it is 5 years old after all. Turns out there may have been some marginal ball speed and distance gains to be had (maybe 3-5 yards total) but all the 2019s were less accurate. If your fitter said stick with the G30 after seeing your numbers, and you trust him, then I do not think the G400 Max or the ST190 will offer enough to make you switch (unless you really want new and shiny and do not mind spending the $500).

I would not rule either out until you get to hit them both.. G30 is/was a great driver but much more forgivenss in the G400 Max and was longer for me.

I haven't tried a Mizuno but I have a G400 max and love it. It's long and forgiving. I have no desire to even test the newer models.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Back