Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is a 1 club wind in your opinion?

"Just playin golf pally" rollin's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,790 Posts
    i dont know how many people i ever see actually measuring the wind speed. Its more a feel thing imo. And even if we do measure it, how often is it sustained? its usually from my experiences always varying. I mean once it becomes substantial enough past a breeze, its most always gusting at different speeds anyway. How many (very often) times do we choose a club considering the wind and right when we swing it picks way up or throttles way down. And its usually when i strike a great shot but find I flew the green or came up way short because it basically the wind changed speed abruptly. Or even changed direction abruptly. that happens enough times too especially when course layout elevations are present. It can often swirl one way the other in addition to changing its speed. But then 10 seconds later its back to where it was or back to the speed it was when you made your original club choice. I just think in the end after you play the game long enough it comes down to a feel thing especially at a familiar course. I feel you just get to know the club change for the given feel of the wind without actually knowing it mph. And as implied it too often changes anyway.
    I golf because I can But I stink because I can't

Sultan of Santa Monica

The City of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels
    Handicap
    a toddler
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,275 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rollin View Post
    i dont know how many people i ever see actually measuring the wind speed. Its more a feel thing imo. And even if we do measure it, how often is it sustained? its usually from my experiences always varying. I mean once it becomes substantial enough past a breeze, its most always gusting at different speeds anyway. How many (very often) times do we choose a club considering the wind and right when we swing it picks way up or throttles way down. And its usually when i strike a great shot but find I flew the green or came up way short because it basically the wind changed speed abruptly. Or even changed direction abruptly. that happens enough times too especially when course layout elevations are present. It can often swirl one way the other in addition to changing its speed. But then 10 seconds later its back to where it was or back to the speed it was when you made your original club choice. I just think in the end after you play the game long enough it comes down to a feel thing especially at a familiar course. I feel you just get to know the club change for the given feel of the wind without actually knowing it mph. And as implied it too often changes anyway.
    Thank you so much for saying this.

So many folks in this thread are talking as if they're giving me advice how to play in the wind. That was never what I was asking. I want to know how YOU determine when to club up. What factors are you considering?

e.g. I often hazard a guess on the tee, but will then second guess myself as I look toward the green. Is the flag still? Is it blowing in another direction? Those kinds of things.
    ~Peter

Handicap
    10.7 GHIN
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,330 Posts
    ^^I guess I'm missing something?^^ I copied these from your OP as you asked about wind speed specially and also 'muscling up' vs pulling more club. Hence my response comparing my experience muscling up vs pulling more club and how many clubs I'd usually go up at 20mph.

from OP: 'I was playing in some heavy wind today, steady around 20mph with gusts over 30mph...Does anyone dechambeau it? Is there a wind speed at which you're pulling one or two extra clubs vs just muscling up on your usual shot?'
    SYNC Cart Bag (reviewing 2019 FlexTech Lite Carry Bag)
    DRV: M3 460 at 9.5* Mitsu Tensei Blue 60
    FWW: Epic Sub Zero 3+ at 13.5* 22 grams forward HZRDUS T800
    HYB: G400 #2 Alta CB 70
    UTIL: GAPR MID #3 at 18.5* Mitsu Tensei Blue Hybrid
    IRONs: King F6 4i-PW, Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
    WDGs: CBX 48* 54* 60*, Rotex Graphite
    PUTT: O-Works Red #7s
    BALLS: TP5X