When did you fall in love with golf?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
For me it was a hot summer day on the third hole of the 9 hole course I played everyday of the summer. I hit a 5w onto a 150y par 3 and sank the long putt. I was hooked and tried to replicate that shot for my dad the rest of the summer. It never happened but I did learn about the grip and how it related to face angles. That day rolled into that summer and has made golf my life for a stint and now part of my life.

When did you fall in love with the game?

Probably@ 26 or 27, playing for just a few months at that point.. just hanging with the boys, having a cigar, cracking jokes. And if course the rate great shot at that point

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My first full shot on a golf course.

I would have been 18, went golfing with a group of friends who were all golfers. We started on a short par 4 and they said for me to hit an iron. I flushed it. Just started smiling, I knew I was hooked.

We won't talk about how after that it took me an additional 6 shots to get the ball in the hole.

Mine honestly was the 3rd round I golfed with @mward
Course was nothing spectacular but we had a blast and I finally learned how to hit a decent swing and learned that it doesn’t matter what you score, it’s just how much you enjoy the game. Hooked from there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pecan Valley Golf Club, 3rd hole par 3 with my grandfather in 1986. I hit a 5w that felt like heaven in my hands and a proud grandfather at my side. I've been chasing that moment ever since.

Played from age 12-18 but it was just a chance to play with my Dad. After a 22 year span where I only played a handful of times, Dad said "hey, wanna go hit some balls?" This was 2010 and I fell head over heals for this stupid game. He's 73 now and we still play 8-10 rounds a year together.

the first flushed shot i hit. it was a 7i, at a local dump of a range/9-hole track that has since closed. the gruff, totally disinterested "pro" was giving me a lesson, repeating his tired mantra "back to the target, finish on your left side." over, and over, and over, to the same awful result. until i connected. the ball flew so high and so straight. everything felt effortless yet powerful. and all i have done for the last 20 years is chase that high.

Loved golf in 2007 but could never get the hang of it which led to frustration, quitting, playing different sports, and quitting some more haha.

Truly loved and appreciated golf in 2016 when I found a coach who was able to at least steer me in the right direction and advance the ball respectably.

No looking back since.

I've thought about this recently.

Learned to play on a par 3 course. One hole was 190. I was hitting the ball well that day for a new player and asked my older brother to choose what club to hit. I was cocky. He chose a 6 iron knowing there was no way I could get it there. I absolutely crushed it for me and hit the green. It was an old forged burke club, rusty and worn that my dad handed down. It was at that moment I fell in love and soon after graduated to a regulation golf course.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Great question, I think it was my first round, by myself, with my grandfather's hand me down clubs, on a full 18 hole course and I hit an amazing shot into a par 4 to setup my first every birdie putt and thought, yeah I could do this more, then proceeded to miss the putt, a 3 putt bogey and my text tee shot out of bounds, but that one good shot had me hooked and still has me chasing it and a handful of other great shots I've hit but I can't always reproduce!

Age 9, playing a par 3 course with kids from the neighborhood.

For me it was early in college. I started golfing around that time and was playing with wooden woods and old blade irons that had been my grandfather's. I spent weeks refinishing them. (polishing the rust off the heads with steel wool, recutting grooves with a hand tool, cutting off the dry-rotted grips, and regripping). I was working at a golf course and could hit balls or play for free after my shift. At the time I had a bad over the top move and a big slice and little distance. On a par 4 I took my 4 wood off the tee, followed up by a 7 iron. I still had a PW in with my 3rd and somehow sliced the ball perfectly and it one hopped in for a birdie. It's crazy because I played this same course a couple years ago and hit driver and only had a log wedge in. I remember that hole out for birdie whenever I talk about that course.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

When it got me out of a dark stage of life/career.

I was in the Marine Corps at the time, a nice course in NC, and made my first birdie. I was hooked after that. Although I took about a 15 year break and just got back into it 6 years ago and have been hooked again as soon as I picked up a stick.

I feel cheated, I can't pin point it. Growing up, I don't recall anyone who golfed. I picked the game up on my own at my first permanent duty station at 20. My laser lab looked out on the golf course and range and I walked along the 1st hole everyday to and from my barracks. I was the only young GI there so golf looked like something convenient to try just to kill boredom as I saved $$ for a car to have some real fun. Even though I took an extended hiatus (career family etc..) my love affair with golf just kinda grew from the get go.

Can't think of a specific day or hole that pulled me in, but my guess was all the long summer days in grade school (before I started working) when my dad would take me or my brother out and we'd try to get as many holes in as we could. Usually only 4 or 6, but sometimes we'd get 9 in if we had no one in front of us. Occasionally people around the area would be flying hot air balloons and we could catch them going by over the course.

Getting up on those muggy south florida mornings with my dad to go play Oriole golf course since kids played for free, he knew the clubhouse guys. Struggling to even make shots with my Wilson staff jr set, my dad trying to show me and struggling through rounds but enjoying playing with my dad after a brain tumor almost took his life(he was still was like a 5 HC at that point). After the round going to sit in the clubhouse bar watching the old tv and eating hotdogs and the bartender would make me cherry coke with grenadine. Those memories are something I will never forget.

Got back into it a couple of years ago and loved it but with a young child, my wife just getting back into the workforce, buying a new house, and everything else kind of just never played much except with my father in law, but I still love the game and want to get back to playing this year.

Playing the par 3 in Columbus, GA with other kids...betting quarters or sodas on putts, scores...outdriving the club pro at Bull Creek with my 3 wood when I was 15...little moments...walking 18 with my Dad as a teen. I've always loved golf despite the long break I took.

It was kind of love at first sight for me. My dad let me swing one of his clubs around in the backyard when I was probably 9 and knew that was the sport for me.

My parents bought me a cheap beginner set that I hit around the backyard whenever I could and then when I was around 12 we moved about 5 blocks from a little par 3 course. That summer I played over 300 9 hole rounds and have been crazy about the game ever since.

Right after college. I played with some friends and they introduced me to a little game called wolf. Up until then I thought golf was boring :)

Getting a lesson in July of 2013. Getting some simple changes made to grip and posture that made a world of difference and started parting the veil of meaningful understanding of the golf swing.

When I was in middle and high school, golf memberships to the local course cost 200 for students. My buddy lived across the street from the course and he also had a membership. We used to play golf in the late morning, go to his house for lunch and some swimming, and then head back to the course late afternoon where either his mom or dad would play 9 with us, or my dad would join. Those were great years. One vivid memory I have that made me so happy and gave me that huge thrill of loving the game was a night he and I were playing and we were racing the sun. The 9th hole on that course is a long par 4, around 425 yards. There are thick trees down the right, some scattered trees on the left, and the fairway slopes hard from left to right when you get to that 170-220 yard landing spot. Anyway, I hit a drive in to the left trees, took a 4 iron and punched it out to the fairway, follwed by a 6 iron from around 150 to about 15 feet. We got to the green and it was pretty damn dark, but I made the putt. It was the first time either of us had broken 45 for 9 holes and we celebebrated as if one of us just won the us open with sode and chicken fingers in the clubhouse haha

About 6 or 7 years ago on the 4th fairway of Bandon Dunes. As you reach the dogleg the hole turns and you see the green in front of the ocean. I stood there and repeatedly said “wow, wow, wow.”

I enjoyed the game years before this, but this was the moment when I really fell in love with the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was 20 in college playing baseball and went out and played some of the guys on the team. I sucked and was pissed that I had trouble hitting a ball sitting still. Been hooked from that day on.

Never played real golf till 2003 ish. I started because of Tiger.

Never took it seriously or played more than 4 times a year till about 6 months before I joined THP. I liked building clubs but never was interested in playing much.

I played in the Gauntlet in 2014 and have been in love with golf since.

Back