Need help with shaft length and lie angles

e1iterate

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I’m currently gaming Srixon 565s playing the shafts .25 long and 1.5* upright.

Measurement from floor to wrist is 34 inches which according to chart says go standard length on irons.

When looking to order irons you are only given 1, 2 & 3 upright or flat options.

My question is should I go standard and order 1 or 2* upright or keep at .25 long on shafts and should I go 1 or 2* upright? Just curious how much the shorter shaft, albeit a .25 of an inch, would affect the lie angles for me?

Thoughts THP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So I’m currently gaming Srixon 565s playing the shafts .25 long and 1.5* upright.

Measurement from floor to wrist is 34 inches which according to chart says go standard length on irons.

When looking to order irons you are only given 1, 2 & 3 upright or flat options.

My question is should I go standard and order 1 or 2* upright or keep at .25 long on shafts and should I go 1 or 2* upright? Just curious how much the shorter shaft, albeit a .25 of an inch, would affect the lie angles for me?

Thoughts THP?

No expert but can't imagine .25" is making a difference of any kind. I believe .5" long is equivalent to 1* up so maybe just order 2 up?

IMO I would go standard and 2 up. How tall are you that you need longer shafts or are we talking you play in a very upright stance? Lots of variables.

Thoughts THP?

How did you come to currently be playing over length shafts plus upright lie angles?
Are your club face impact marks good/centered with your current specs ?

IMO I would go standard and 2 up. How tall are you that you need longer shafts or are we talking you play in a very upright stance? Lots of variables.

I’m 5’11. .25 long shafts were suggested about 4 years back. I just haven’t varied from that until now just doing some research.

How did you come to currently be playing over length shafts plus upright lie angles?
Are your club face impact marks good/centered with your current specs ?

See above post for answer to first question.

Impact is generally fine. Misses typically just a touch toward the toe.

Get them Standard, because you don’t choke down as much as you used to either...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a proper fitting - those charts are worthless. According to Ping's version with my wrist-to-floor measurement, I should be playing my irons 2° upright. A thorough fitting has them 2-3° flat - big difference. I'm just under 6', but have somewhat long arms and play mine standard length. Worst case, get yours "standard" all around (which varies between manufacturers) and have them tweaked later once you hit balls under the watchful eye of someone who knows what they are doing. A quarter inch is nothing either - that's just the length of the grip cap.

See above post for answer to first question.

Impact is generally fine. Misses typically just a touch toward the toe.

Club length is going to impact quality of strike, quality of divot etc... more so than lie angle.
If you believe your current set shaft length is good for you, then order your new set same.
Regarding lie angle, the club becomes more "left biased" as lie angle increases. If your ball flight has been too much left (either pull left or too severe right-to-left ) then you might consider adding shaft length (for example plus .5" instead of your current +.25") but flattening lie angle to be less upright or even standard lie.
If the upright lie angle have not given you too much left bias, then retain the current lie angles (and shaft length) of your current set.

Need help with shaft length and lie angles

Club length is going to impact quality of strike, quality of divot etc... more so than lie angle.
If you believe your current set shaft length is good for you, then order your new set same.
Regarding lie angle, the club becomes more "left biased" as lie angle increases. If your ball flight has been too much left (either pull left or too severe right-to-left ) then you might consider adding shaft length (for example plus .5" instead of your current +.25") but flattening lie angle to be less upright or even standard lie.
If the upright lie angle have not given you too much left bias, then retain the current lie angles (and shaft length) of your current set.

Typical shot shape is a nice little butter cut or straight. When I miss it not a big slice it’s more of a dead block where I’m not getting the face shut at impact. Rarely do I pull irons.

Typical shot shape is a nice little butter cut or straight. When I miss it not a big slice it’s more of a dead block where I’m not getting the face shut at impact. Rarely do I pull irons.

All you have written, including the quality ball contact and accurate shot making, means you should order your new set to have the same length and lie specs as your current set.
If your concern is that the manufacturer only offers 1* or 2* (not 1.5*) , don't be, because if you request 1.5* I expect they will accommodate you.

With the way you hit the ball, I wouldn’t change much Mike. Keep the 1/2” long and maybe order the new iron 2* upright, 1/2* more upright isn’t gonna cause you to start missing left and it could keep your blocked shots a little closer to center. Ordering standard length or 1/2” shorter than what you have now will cause you to lose a little swing speed though...you’ve told me you can miss it all over the face and I think going shorter would help more if your most consistent miss was fat.

Thinking to our Grandaddy fitting we had some taller guys and I don't remember them saying anything about being fit into longer shafts from the fitters.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

As 1/2" equates to 1° lie, I'd suggest considering going 1/4" shorter and getting 2° upright. Effective lie should be the same (assuming were talking about the same std length). The swing speed "lost" by going 1/4" shorter would be negligible.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

As 1/2" equates to 1° lie, I'd suggest considering going 1/4" shorter and getting 2° upright. Effective lie should be the same (assuming were talking about the same std length). The swing speed "lost" by going 1/4" shorter would be negligible.

The OP said his misses are toe side, which means if he would be going down a full 1/2" from what he used previously. Based on your recommendation, wouldn't this open the door for his common miss toe-side to be even worse?

.25" longer and 1.5 degrees upright to stock is not always equal across OEMs so that needs to be looked at as well. For example, Mizuno lengths are generally a little shorter and lie angles a little flatter than the stock specs of Callaway, TaylorMade and Srixon.

The OP said his misses are toe side, which means if he would be going down a full 1/2" from what he used previously. Based on your recommendation, wouldn't this open the door for his common miss toe-side to be even worse?

Your sentence fragment leaves me wondering what you were trying to say. One thing I'm sure of, I didn't recommend him to go 1/2" shorter.

.25" longer and 1.5 degrees upright to stock is not always equal across OEMs so that needs to be looked at as well. For example, Mizuno lengths are generally a little shorter and lie angles a little flatter than the stock specs of Callaway, TaylorMade and Srixon.
Exactly. This is why I said, "(assuming were talking about the same std length)".

Your sentence fragment leaves me wondering what you were trying to say. One thing I'm sure of, I didn't recommend him to go 1/2" shorter.

I'm sorry I might not have deciphered your post adequately, but sentence fragments? Really dude? Get over yourself.

It seemed as if you were saying he should go 1/4" down from standard, which meant it'd be a full 1/2" shorter. Now that I read what you posted several times, I can see where you said just get back to standard by taking off his extra 1/4". Is that right? If so, that still means his pattern of contact will be even more toe side than before.

I'll see myself out now.

Back