barryboymunro

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi,

I am going to knock 1inch off my M6 which will drop the club 6 swingweight points. How much weight would I need to add to the head to get it back up those 6 points? Does anyone know what the weight of the screw in the back of the M6 is?

Thanks
Barry

12g added to the head is 6 points

taylormade says the m6 weight is 46g, but I don't know if that's the actual screw weight

First One!
d.png

Hi,

I am going to knock 1inch off my M6 which will drop the club 6 swingweight points. How much weight would I need to add to the head to get it back up those 6 points? Does anyone know what the weight of the screw in the back of the M6 is?

Thanks
Barry
Be careful. Adding 12g to the head after a 1" butt cut (well, even without the 1" trim) will soften the shaft flex. You may or may not notice it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The back weight is not 46g. It is 6g if I’m not mistaken. The total weight of the inertia generator is 46g.

Would I notice that much of a difference when cutting 1 inch off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 swingweight points will be noticeable. Whether it is detrimental is up to the individual. Can't hurt to try.

I’m regards to length, swingweight, Flex etc.?

I’m regards to length, swingweight, Flex etc.?
Good point. The length will definitely be noticeable. Doubtful on the flex. If you go adding 12g to the head to get the swingweight back, then that might change the answer on flex.

Good point. The length will definitely be noticeable. Doubtful on the flex. If you go adding 12g to the head to get the swingweight back, then that might change the answer on flex.

But if you don’t put the weight back in the head then the flex would be effected or at least the bend point.

But if you don’t put the weight back in the head then the flex would be effected or at least the bend point.
I agree, but not sure if it'd be as noticeable.

I agree, but not sure if it'd be as noticeable.

Definitely depends on the person. When I cut mine down I experimented with lead tape and I did not like the way it felt without the weight back in the head. I think when I put it on the scale it was at C7 with no added weight.

Definitely depends on the person. When I cut mine down I experimented with lead tape and I did not like the way it felt without the weight back in the head. I think when I put it on the scale it was at C7 with no added weight.
I can see that. I lean toward a shaft that's a little stiffer than my SS dictates because I play my drivers so short and add so much weight to get the swingweight up to an acceptable range (D3-D4).

I am playing a 44.25" driver now with ~15g of weight added.

Last edited:
You might consider an ultralight grip as well as that will make the swingweight go up. We did this on one of my drivers instead of weighting the head and it was all we needed to do to make up for the 1" short.

I play my drivers at 44.25”. I’ve had better luck with going from 55g shafts to 65g-68g. Helps get some of the swing weight back without needing to add weight to the head. Just a thought

So if my M6 is sitting at D3 as standard and I take of 3/4” then I’ve lowered my swingweight by 4.5 points which will sit it between a C8 and C9?

Just checking as I'm doing this as well (taking 1 inch off the butt)
The original weight is 6g
To restore to D3 (adding 12g) , I would need to replace this weight with a 18g weight?

Just checking as I'm doing this as well (taking 1 inch off the butt)
The original weight is 6g
To restore to D3 (adding 12g) , I would need to replace this weight with a 18g weight?

You could, if they made an 18g replacement weight... Or official replacement weights at all for the M6.

Everything I've read/researched, says the M4 weights will fit, except for the 10g, which is slightly longer than the weight bore.

You may need to do a lighter than 10g weight, with some hot melt or lead tape.

Back