Looking at Vokey SM7 wedges compared to current Cleveland CBX wedges

Mach2

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.7
Been playing the Cleveland CBX wedges, 48 52 & 56, since they were introduced. Love them. I've also seen a lot of single digit players using the Vokey SM7 wedges. I just bought a new, slightly used but pics show it's in great condition, SM7 52* wedge. What, if any, differences should I see in looks at address, impact feel, ball flight and green stopping action?

TIA.

I'm a higher handicap then you, but I'd definitely use the grind selector on Titleist's website. I used it when selecting my SM7 vokeys and it was spot on. Answer the questions in slightly different ways if you're in between answers to certain questions to see if it changes their recommendations at all. I did that and nothing really changed in the end. See below link.

https://www.vokey.com/tools/wedge-selector-tool.aspx

I spent about an hour last weekend with a 54 SM7 and it was just ok to me.

For me the difference between the sm7 and CBX would be how I planned on using them. Short chips, bump and runs, the sm7 would fit my game ok but I also like to swing my wedges full and need the added forgiveness the CBX offers and you can still chip/bump and run with it to.

One thing though is I do carry a traditional wedge, Ping 54, for every thing around the green and 95% of green side bunkers. I feel more comfortable with less turf interaction, since the CBX is larger, and the sand at my home course is like concrete.

I'm a higher handicap then you, but I'd definitely use the grind selector on Titleist's website. I used it when selecting my SM7 vokeys and it was spot on. Answer the questions in slightly different ways if you're in between answers to certain questions to see if it changes their recommendations at all. I did that and nothing really changed in the end. See below link.

https://www.vokey.com/tools/wedge-selector-tool.aspx

Thanks AUWU11, the link is very helpful. The 52* SM7 wedge I bought is the F grind with 12* bounce. When I used the grind selector it recommended he 52* SM7 F grind with 8* bounce. What will I notice with the purchased SM7 F grind 12* bounce as opposed to the recommended 8* bounce?

As a general rule an SM7 is going to be less consistant than a CBX the further you try to hit it. Also as a general rule an SM7 will be more versatile than a CBX for performing all the different shots you may use with a wedge. You also will need to figure your bounce and grind out with an SM7 which is not the case with a CBX.

Is there measurable differences between 8* of bounce & 12* of bounce, everything else being the same?

Is there measurable differences between 8* of bounce & 12* of bounce, everything else being the same?

I would think that would have more to do with how steep you tend to get and the conditions you usually play in. But yes there should be a noticeable difference, there is for me any ways.

Really it boils down to forgiveness. The CBX will be more forgiving on a bit of mishit. Its a great wedge, but if you are consistent enough to find center face or near center then the SM7 is a lethal tool.

Played the 52* SM7 Vokey yesterday. Had 4 green side chips that left 2 gimmies and 2 within 3 ft. One full shot that I hit a little fat, lost 10 - 15 yds. Looking forward to playing it more next week.

As a general rule an SM7 is going to be less consistant than a CBX the further you try to hit it. Also as a general rule an SM7 will be more versatile than a CBX for performing all the different shots you may use with a wedge. You also will need to figure your bounce and grind out with an SM7 which is not the case with a CBX.

Dunno.

It's a wedge. I understand the Cleveland marketing about CB wedges and for some, that may help. But most wedge shots are less than 100 yards and you're not going at it with full swings. If you're hitting a wedge at 100% speed, you may be approaching it the wrong way. I'm hitting wedges at 75-80% for more accuracy; same with 8i and up. Dunno if I'm looking for full swing forgiveness in 50-60 as much as playability and versatility.

I am playing Ping CB Wedges and SM7's. Pings have different grinds. I don't find the forgiveness in the CB as vital - short club and high lofted wedges don't need that much forgiveness for those who've played the game for a time. It's what works for you.

As to grind, Cleveland has a grind, just doesn't give you choices. Around the green, especially with 54-60, you may want a different grind depending on how you use wedges around the green. Different strokes ...

My D7 PW is 44* & I like the wedges to be a 4* split, 48*, 52* & 56*. I use them and the PW for full to 1/2 shots depending on what the shot requires. I agree with Desmond that forgiveness is not an issue. I think different bounce of wedges would show up on tight lines and the courses I play here have great fairways. I still will see how the Vokey 52* SM7 plays next week to see if there's a noticeable improvement over the CBX 52* wedge.

I bought the Vokey SM7 52* wedge used from an eBay seller for a good price just to see the performance of the Vokey compared to the CBX.

My D7 PW is 44* & I like the wedges to be a 4* split, 48*, 52* & 56*. I use them and the PW for full to 1/2 shots depending on what the shot requires. I agree with Desmond that forgiveness is not an issue. I think different bounce of wedges would show up on tight lines and the courses I play here have great fairways. I still will see how the Vokey 52* SM7 plays next week to see if there's a noticeable improvement over the CBX 52* wedge.

I bought the Vokey SM7 52* wedge used from an eBay seller for a good price just to see the performance of the Vokey compared to the CBX.

You bought a 52-12 F Grind? Whether it fits you better depends on your swing - as a general rule, if you come in steep and take a decent divot, the 12 will work well. I am more shallow to neutral, and if I take a medium divot something is wrong - I take a scalp of grass, so I work better in 50-08. I can take a larger bounce number if the wedge has a lot of relief.

I tried the CBX wedges alongside the Vokeys during my last wedge fitting. The CBX’s were considerably larger behind the ball. It was a look I really didn’t like. Much more feel and feedback with the Vokeys too as far as I was concerned. When new, the amount of spin the Vokey’s produce is flat out crazy, even in the hands of me who doesn’t produce much spin. Obviously as they get older and more worn, that spin starts to reduce, so it’ll depend on how used they are on how much spin you see generated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have far more options available with the Vokey wedges. So generally, you can get a better fit for your game. Now if you don't avail yourself of that advantage, then it's not really an advantage. Vokey wedges have a heavier head than most other wedges out there. This can be an advantage to get the club through the rough or the sand, but you need to get used to this difference.

I also agree with Desmond. It's not a good idea to swing your wedges at 100% effort. Pick an extra club and make a smooth swing and your accuracy will improve.

The Vokey SM7 52*, 12* bounce, F grind is working so well I bought a used SM7 48*, 10* bounce, F grind wedge. Got it today and looking forward to playing it tomorrow in place of the CBX 48*, 9* bounce.

The Vokey wedges are noticably smaller than the CBX wedges. Below are pics of the CBX and Vokey face size and the soles of both.

48* CBX on the left, 48* Vokey on the right.

3%204%2019%2048%20degree%20wedges_zpsda3tj6lm.jpg

3%204%2019%2052%20degree%20wedges%20a_zpst8uivjag.jpg

52* CBX on the left, 52* Vokeyu on the right.

3%204%2019%2048%20degree%20wedges%20b_zpsz9fjq5j3.jpg

3%204%2019%2052%20degree%20wedges%20b_zpsyptifyhx.jpg

I just can't get over how much feel you get with these 2, so far, Vokey F grind 48* & 52* wedges. They transfer impact feel to you hands so well. I can feel exactly where on the face of each wedge is hit at impact before I look up to see the shot. Makes since though, they're forged player wedges. The CBX wedges are cast and perimeter weighted and there's not much impact feel at all. Looking forward to Friday when the Vokey SM7 56* F wedge with 14* bounce, arrives and get it in play Monday.

Normal SM7 Wedges are not forged but are made of 8620 Carbon Steel, which makes them feel soft.

Back