Build Your Perfect Tour Player

JMB3

Reaction score
I was thinking today about how much I enjoy watching Rory drive the ball and Rickie putt. So I started thinking about who on tour is the "perfect" player for each of the following categories:

1. Off the Tee
2. Approach to Green
3. Around the Green
4. Putting
5. Mental Fortitude

If you had to build your perfect player, comprised of one tour player for each category above, what combination would your player be? Keep in mind that "perfect" is intentionally subjective. Maybe you take a "strokes gained" approach or your favorite swing/stroke, etc. The only rule is that you can pick only one tour player for each category.

Here are mine:

1. Rory - For me, there are several great options for this category, but no one I'd rather watch, or have, hit drives for my "player."
2. Tiger - In my lifetime, probably the best iron player alive.
3. Rose - I REALLY wanted to put Phil here because I love his creativity and skill with a wedge, but I feel like Rosey is always getting himself out of trouble.
4. Rickie - I love Rickie's putting stroke; it's smooth but aggressive and confident. I expect him to make every putt.
5. Koepka - 3 majors in 2 years; he shows up at the big moments, and he not only withstood Tiger's charge at the PGA Championship, he thrived.

What say you?

DISCLAIMER: I didn't originally include this in the rules (so have at it without), but my list was based off current tour players.

1. Off the Tee - Hogan

2. Approach to Green - Tiger

3. Around the Green - Philsy

4. Putting - Jack

5. Mental Fortitude - Jack

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1. DJ

2. JT

3. Phil

4. Rickie

5. Tiger

I went all current players with this one, it’s just so hard to compare players from different eras IMO. We’ll just never know, you could make arguments for Jack to be at the top of every category.

1. Off the Tee - Greg Norman

2. Approach to Green -

3. Around the Green - Seve Ballesteros

4. Putting - Justin Thomas

5. Mental Fortitude - Big

1- cameron champ
2- scott piercy
3- jordan spieth
4- kevin kisner
5- xander shauffele

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1- cameron champ
2- scott piercy
3- jordan spieth
4- kevin kisner
5- xander shauffele

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kisner with a putter in his hand, yes!

1. Tiger c. 2000
2. Tiger c. 2000
3. Tiger c. 2000
4. Tiger c. 2000
5. Tiger c. 2000

Done. Next. :clown:

I'm going active players with their active games minus one.

Tee Game: Rory without question - Probably the best all around component of his game
Approach Shots: Justin Thomas - Mostly wedge play here, but I am a big fan of how he commands a short iron or wedge
Around the Green: Phil - He might not be the best ever, but he's extremely entertaining with a wedge in his hand.
Putting: Rickie - Something about his green light demeanor and speed of play is just awesome.
Mental Fortitude: Arnie all day long. Being a brick wall makes for a terrible tour player. Arnie was the GOAT at being engaging and incredible.

This was actually easier than I thought.

Tee Game: Rory - Long, accurate, consistent
Approach Shots: Tiger - The man is still a freaking savant with an iron.
Around the Green: Rose - I don't think I've ever seen him hit a poor chip/pitch.
Putting: Jason Day - The man makes putts.
Mental Fortitude: Koepka - Just seems like he's as cool as the other side of the pillow no matter the situation, and I like the chip on his shoulder.

1-Rory. Speaks for itself. 3 or 4 straight top 5’s and can barely chip and putt. That’s how good this part of his game is.

2-Stenson. One of the best iron players of the current tour crop.

3-Phil. Not a fan of his personally, but it’s extremely hard to pick against lefty when it comes to wedges around the green.

4-Fowler. Pretty solid stats the last few years. This was the hardest spot for me to pick.

5-DJ. Something about just being able to not think and work around a golf course is hard to do. I don’t care what the reason is. It’s hard to do. As of the last few years, once he got over his Sunday road block, he’s been as hard as anyone to play against when he’s at or near the lead.

1. Off the Tee - DJ
2. Approach to Green - Faldo
3. Around the Green - Seve
4. Putting - Tiger
5. Mental Fortitude - Jack

1. Off the Tee -- Dustin Johnson, Rors was a close 2nd for me here...but DJ's fade reminds me of....me.... I wish.
2. Approach to Green -- Tiger, but only in his prime.
3. Around the Green -- Phil, with a strong consideration for Rose. Phil has been doing it forever so he gets the nod here.
4. Putting -- Give me JT or Rickie here. This is obviously Tiger in his prime, but I figured I'd only use a player only once throughout this post.
5. Mental Fortitude -- Ian Poulter...Ryder Cup Ian Poulter! Hate this guy any other time, but I can't question the man's passion to win come Ryder Cup time. Tiger, Koepka, and Rose were my alternatives.

based on the 2018 PGA Tour Season, the perfect Tour Player was a mix of:

off the tee - 1. Dustin Johnson 2. Jon Rahm 3. Gary Woodland
approach the green - 1. Henrik Stenson 2. Keegan Bradley 3. Tiger Woods
around the green - 1. Aaron Baddeley 2. Patrick Reed 3. Jamie Lovemark
putting - 1. Greg Chalmers 2. Jason Day 3. Alex Noren
mental - subjective, but Chris Kirk led in consecutive cuts made with 12, Gary Woodland 11, Cantlay/Finau/Fleetwood 10

Back