Looking to add something into the bag?

Chris141h

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi

Been reading the forum for quite a while and finally got round to joining! Working during the day limiting my times of play and only been playing regularly since last summer and last weekend got my initial handicap which is 26. In my signature is what I currently carry in the bag and can't decide what to add in whether to add another wood as I only have driver then hybrid or whether to add another wedge as I currently only have a pitching wedge and sand wedge which came in the iron set!

Any thoughts welcome? Not particuarly fussed on a brand as I have cobra driver ping irons and taylormade balls! So any ideas would be more than welcome I have a budget of around £200 ish to spend at the moment?

Thanks chris!

First off, welcome to THP.
In my opinion, if you are looking to add one thing, let's take a look at versatility. We should look at something that is easy to hit, and you will use in multiple spots to help you on the course.

Two things that come to mind immediately.
1. Callaway Heavenwood. Its a high lofted fairway wood that flies high and is easy to use and could gap for you well.
2. Another wedge. Something that is easy to use, offers some forgiveness for full swings and is different than you have. Maybe a RTX 2.0 CB from Cleveland.

If it were me (and its not), I would first go with something like the Heavenwood. Could give you another option of the tee, but is easy to hit off the deck and might make things more enjoyable on the course.

Welcome. I second JB's statement about some type of fairway wood and definitely another wedge. Also check your profile, says hc is a 36.

Welcome to THP! Again a 9 or 7 wood would seem to be a good choice. As I carry 4 wedges I would also agree to that recommendation. There are tons of great people here who will be glad to pitch in and help whenever they can. I think you will enjoy the site!

Thanks a lot I've changed the profile to the correct handicap anyone else got any specific examples that are good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP!

Any idea of lofts and how do I find out what loft clubs I have wedge now?

Hi Chris, welcome to THP

I am guessing from your first post (Budget £200) that you are UK based?

A quick Google found your iron lofts here - http://www.ping.com/clubs/ironsdetail.aspx?id=15155

Depending on the make-up of your set the loft gap between your PW (45) and SW (54) is fairly big, unless you have the UW (50) as well, so maybe you could look at another wedge to fit between those?

Alternatively, something like the Heavenwood that JB suggest could be a good choice, or maybe if you can find the XR 4W as I remember seeing a lot of love for that on here as well

Sme good suggestions in here so I won't add on to that and just dropping in to welcome you to THP.

Yeah I am uk based near Hartlepool north east England! Hartlepool golf club is my course if anyone is interested haha and going to take a look at this heavenwood as mean a few approvals for this here! What loft wedge would you think be best a middle of what I have now 50 or 52? I don't have the uw no

Welcome to THP!

I will say that I use to be the guy who only carried a GW,PW and a SW. I had played like that for several years and then I decided to get a 58 and it really changed my game. I could tell you to add a wedge or FW to your arsenal but really you have to experiment and what feel comfortable for you.

If anyone is interested I had a try with the callaway today but was struggling to get it away tried different shafts lofts etc but couldn't get it going! Tried the new cobra f6 and hit it very well it was averaging around 10 yards less than my driver so will give me something more on the course and it was averaging 5 yards left or right of the centre of the fairway so couldn't ask for much more! Also ordered a ping g25 u wedge to fit in between the PW and SW this is ordered to and will be collected next week hopefully thanks a lot for the input thp!

Yeah I am uk based near Hartlepool north east England! Hartlepool golf club is my course if anyone is interested haha and going to take a look at this heavenwood as mean a few approvals for this here! What loft wedge would you think be best a middle of what I have now 50 or 52? I don't have the uw no

Just along the road from me, I am in Darlington and there are a couple others of us in the north east as well

We will have to try and get a 4-ball together sometime

I am not an expert as others here but I would go with another wood. I have four wedges and only because the Callaway PW is 45 degrees.

The he callaway woods are great easy to hit clubs. I do play with a friend a lot and he uses the Cobras. They too seem super easy to hit and really look like a nice club. Think a higher lofted wood would be great.

You a member anywhere doctor?

Id be happy to sort a 4 ball some time

Back