HELP!!! I have delevoped a straight pull with most of my irons

Koeniky

Reaction score
Handicap
I have somehow started to hit a straight pull to the left (right handed) on my iron shots. Contact is great, but it's like my swing plane is being pulled to the left. I have been trying to keep my right elbow close to my ribs to help keep my plane in line, but I'm still pulling all of my shots to the left.

Distance is usually spot on but my 6-8 iron shots are ALWAYS 10-15 yards left of the green.

I can even catch myself pulling my 10 foot chip shots on the green.

I have not had any formal training and have relied on my athleticism to teach myself, but I fear it has caused bad habits.

I have become frustrated because I am doing my game a huge disservice becuase I am always off the green on my second shot. It does not leave me much room for a decent par chance.

I am a new member but have always read the posts. I have joined becuase I have faith someone can help me.

Please and thank you for all the help.

Kyle

I had the same issue... I'm no expert by any means but I think you might have an issue with rotating your hips. I do straight pulls when my upper body take over my swing... Guy like Freddie will give you advise, if you have a video, please post it.

I had a similar issue that I discussed with Freddie and came to the conclusion that it sounded like I was stopping my hips like Yantropov said. Get that belt buckle pointing to the target.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

HELP!!! I have delevoped a straight pull with most of my irons

A straight pull means a closed clubface and a path from out to in. You can't pull the ball with an in to out swing, that would result in massive hooks, as I experience constantly.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

When I shoot a video of my iron shot, what angle would be best to diagnose a straight pull?

I have somehow started to hit a straight pull to the left (right handed) on my iron shots. Contact is great, but it's like my swing plane is being pulled to the left. I have been trying to keep my right elbow close to my ribs to help keep my plane in line, but I'm still pulling all of my shots to the left.

Distance is usually spot on but my 6-8 iron shots are ALWAYS 10-15 yards left of the green.

I have not had any formal training and have relied on my athleticism to teach myself, but I fear it has caused bad habits.

I have become frustrated because I am doing my game a huge disservice becuase I am always off the green on my second shot. It does not leave me much room for a decent par chance.

I am a new member but have always read the posts. I have joined becuase I have faith someone can help me.

Kyle

When I ran into that problem, my pro had me really work on getting my weight transferred from my back foot to my front foot for impact and follow through, which means rotating the hips and getting your chest pointed at the target on your follow through as others above said. That should help. While I would address swing fixes first, you could also check your lie angles on your irons. If they are too upright can lead to pulls as well i believe.

When I shoot a video of my iron shot, what angle would be best to diagnose a straight pull?

down the line. google how to record your swing and it will show you how to set everything up.

conceptually, a pull with no curvature means the path and face are square, but the path is closed relative to your intended target. it could be one of 100 things. no reason to guess until you post a video and have an expert like freddie get you sorted out.

Kyle
Well either the hips have stopped rotating through the shot or you are over the top with a shut club face or you aren't making a deep enough shoulder turn. I'm gonna guess a little of each and it's fixable. But I want to address something. When we pull the ball, typically you have shut down the club and made it a bit stronger then it was at address. So your distances left will be 7-12 yards longer had you made contact with a square club face.

If if the shoulder turn is short the your down swing will be preset across the line and to compensate, you'll gold off the hips to self correct. The problem is that you're already pointed left so the club drops into the slot, you release the club and get the pull.

make sure your left shoulder gets behind the ball and over the right leg. The lower body should drive the down swing and the arms follow but remain in front of your chest. Rehearse the move once or twice before you swing then make the swing. With some practice I think you gat this corrected.

Back