St. Louis, MO THP Outing - Gateway National April 16, 2016

wubears71 hooking it up!!! Damn, this is gonna be AWESOME! I've never played any competitive golf as a single, only some scrambles, but I'm really looking forward to it and it's going to be a blast.

Also as far as handicaps go, mine probably is lower than the 17.8 it's showing now. The app I use only lets me post so many scores, so I had to delete some of my better scores from last fall to make room for scores this year. If someone can fill me in on what scores I should use I'll adjust it and get something more accurate. Winter courses can be rough and I have some high scores posted throughout the winter.

wubears71 hooking it up!!! Damn, this is gonna be AWESOME! I've never played any competitive golf as a single, only some scrambles, but I'm really looking forward to it and it's going to be a blast.

Also as far as handicaps go, mine probably is lower than the 17.8 it's showing now. The app I use only lets me post so many scores, so I had to delete some of my better scores from last fall to make room for scores this year. If someone can fill me in on what scores I should use I'll adjust it and get something more accurate. Winter courses can be rough and I have some high scores posted throughout the winter.
THP handicap.

Takes care of that for you

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

THP handicap.

Takes care of that for you

I'll look into that this weekend, should have some time to kill. My son has a soccer tourney in Indy this weekend so I'll have lots of free time.

Technically I don't think you are supposed to count scores from Nov 15 until March 1st...that way you don't have to worry about bad rounds during the winter. Kind of stuck because I put up some good scores last winter during that time frame.

In addition to a 1st, 2nd and last place prize I'm going to get us hooked up with a longest drive contest (hole 6 more than likely as it has the best chance of not playing into the wind and no water where a long drive can roll into the creek), closest to the pin (hole 12) and longest putt (tbd). Prizes will be awarded for all three.

The 1st, 2nd and last will be based on handicaps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm all over the last place prize.

Technically I don't think you are supposed to count scores from Nov 15 until March 1st...that way you don't have to worry about bad rounds during the winter. Kind of stuck because I put up some good scores last winter during that time frame.

I was the exact opposite this winter, I put up a lot of bad scores and only one good one on a short, pretty easy course so it didn't do much. Last fall I had gotten down to the upper 15 range, don't remember exactly. I don't mind playing to a 15 HC, I rather give up some strokes for myself than sandbag someone else. So put me as a 15 and I'll get there, nothing like putting a little pressure on yourself...

You'll have to help me out on this stuff a little bit fellas, I'm really just getting into this aspect of the game and I don't know much about it. I've spent the last 10 years getting out sporadically with some buddies and just playing and maybe having a few beverages. So I don't know much about handicaps, matchplay, pops, or any of that stuff. So whoever I'm playing with may have to walk me through it a little bit and I'll pick it up pretty quickly.

I've got another lesson scheduled and I'll hit the range pretty hard between now and then to get back to a 15. I'll hopefully have time to squeeze in a few rounds too.

Is there still room for both days? I mentioned this deal to a friend and he might want to go.

I'm a lousy 6
He's a solid scratch(makes me sick)

Is there still room for both days? I mentioned this deal to a friend and he might want to go.

I'm a lousy 6
He's a solid scratch(makes me sick)

A lousy 6, come on, that's pretty solid man:alien: At last count I think we had 10 and had tee times for 12. Hopefully we can fill the last spot.

I like the quote, just not right you picking on me.

Welcome to THP!

Yes indeed, welcome to THP Boggieman. Hope to meet you in a couple weeks.

A lousy 6, come on, that's pretty solid man:alien: At last count I think we had 10 and had tee times for 12. Hopefully we can fill the last spot.

Welcome to THP!

Ok me and Boggieman are in for both then.

A lousy 6 meaning not playing anywhere near that

Ok me and Boggieman are in for both then.

A lousy 6 meaning not playing anywhere near that

I know the feeling, it's all good and I think most of us are in the same boat. It's pretty cool to me though, I haven't played with many decent golfer and none even sniffing scratch golf. I'm looking forward to seeing how good golf is played, it'll probably help my game out too.

Played the course from the tips yesterday with one of the Gateway Staffers - 7000+ yards of windy 30+ MPH winds. It was so dang hard and shot an 88. Super crazy hard yesterday.

Played the course from the tips yesterday with one of the Gateway Staffers - 7000+ yards of windy 30+ MPH winds. It was so dang hard and shot an 88. Super crazy hard yesterday.

What kind yardage are we looking at when we play? That way I can adjust my next few rounds, I've been playing winter tees at around 6000 for a while and probably need play longer to get some long iron work in.

What kind yardage are we looking at when we play? That way I can adjust my next few rounds, I've been playing winter tees at around 6000 for a while and probably need play longer to get some long iron work in.

Either whites at around 6100 yards or blues at 6600 yards. The tips are not a good idea to play from as 655 yard par 5s can be a bit challenging.

I'm good with whatever the group wants to play. Blues are not too bad for long hitters and single digit handicaps but can be a PITA for shorter hitters and higher handicaps - especially on the par 3s. From the blues, the Par 3s play around 183, 180, 135, 205 and 185 so I other words extremely long.

Either whites at around 6100 yards or blues at 6600 yards. The tips are not a good idea to play from as 655 yard par 5s can be a bit challenging.

I'm good with whatever the group wants to play. Blues are not too bad for long hitters and single digit handicaps but can be a PITA for shorter hitters and higher handicaps - especially on the par 3s. From the blues, the Par 3s play around 183, 180, 135, 205 and 185 so I other words extremely long.

I'm good with either one, once I get into the season a little more I play 6500 at my home course. I'll just have to work on being directionally challenged between now and then.

Do we have an updated headcount for Sunday AM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tough day to be playing from the tips. Today is supposed to be worse... calling for 50 mph gusts.

One of our hardest holes from the tips is a 650 yard par 5 (from the tips) that's up hill and into the wind. Its a 220 carry just to clear all the tee boxes. Wind can e so brutal.

Do we have an updated headcount for Sunday AM?

I believe we are at 5, with Daddio and two guests as maybes right now.

I am looking forward to meeting all of you and having a great weekend. Sounds like the course is in good shape, and really tough. Played today with 40 mph winds and rough greens, wind got the best of me today, shot 76.

I am looking forward to meeting all of you and having a great weekend. Sounds like the course is in good shape, and really tough. Played today with 40 mph winds and rough greens, wind got the best of me today, shot 76.

Looking forward to meeting you as well!

Going by the course info linked in the first post, I wouldn't be going beyond the whites were it just me playing. Being Gateway is par 71, it will play longer than the listed yardage shot for shot, because "par" only gives us 35 strokes to cover the yardage. The 6623 yard Blues will play like a 6812 yard par 72 track, and the Whites, (6154) play like 6330 yards. The embarrassing truth is I only average about 215 off the tee on decent days, so courses can get boring when they get too long. It has nothing to do with not getting birdie looks, but rather the 'approach shots' become a bunch of same-o/same-o 30 yard pitches from short of the green, never experiencing the challenges the architect designed into to the actual approaches. This is a group though, and I know it's going to be an absolute blast anyway so I'm 100% completely OK to play either set, if it's best for all.

One other thought is that we could let guys choose the tees that fit them best and use the tee rating, slope, and cap to calculate their final event score. An example to demonstrate: Player A (15 HCP) shoots 90 off the Blues (71.9/126) and Player B (14 HCP) shoots 87 off the Whites (69.6/123).

Player A's event score would be (90-71.9)*113/126 +71(par) - 15 = 72.2
Player B's event score would be (87-69.6)*113 /123 +71(par) - 14 = 73

The math is easy enough but really not condusive to live updates, but there again, #THPcallouts will likely be matchplay, and we could pair up foursomes per tee preferences.

Last edited:
I'm good with the white tees

Lord I'm rusty. 88 in this wind on my home course. Got some work to do

Back