Bending Z 585 irons

AUWU11

Reaction score
Handicap
7.2 GHIN
I'm considering bending the loft on my Z 585 irons up a degree (+1). Example - my PW is 44 degrees, would bend it to 45. I know the big "asset" of these clubs is the Tour V.T. Sole. I know bending the loft will also increase the bounce by a degree. But my question is this - if I bend these irons to +1 loft, would that have any adverse effect on the V-Sole of these irons? Would it "negate" this sole and the benefit it provides to the club? I don't want to bend them and take away one of the biggest benefits of these clubs (the V-Sole/Wider Sole) by causing too much digging or too much bounce or something weird of that nature that could be negatively caused by adjusting lofts. Any thoughts? TIA.

Whats the reason for bending?

Whats the reason for bending?

Not a fan of the spacing. Hard time adjusting to distance. My previous set were all about 2 degrees higher acorss the board, so thought bending them to 1 degree might help a bit. Right now, I have 11 degrees total between 9i-PW-AW. Pretty big gap. I'd bend my 5i-PW +1 and leave my 4i and AW as is.

Not a fan of the spacing. Hard time adjusting to distance. My previous set were all about 2 degrees higher acorss the board, so thought bending them to 1 degree might help a bit. Right now, I have 11 degrees total between 9i-PW-AW. Pretty big gap. I'd bend my 5i-PW +1 and leave my 4i and AW as is.

Have you hit them enough to get your distances dialed in? What I mean by that is loft is only one factor in distance and with the way they launch initially, you might find the bend unnecessary.
If you have and think you want to do it, I say go for it.

I did this exact modification when I gamed the Z545 irons a few years ago. I ordered them that way (1 degree weak from 5 iron - PW) so never played them at stock lofts so have no idea whether they played any different of not. I did not detect any issues with turf interaction with that setup.

Do think 1 degree is going to harm you in the turf interaction? Not really. But also I don't think 1 degree is going to make a huge difference in terms of you gap, except on paper. But part of the game is mental so having that peace of mind is sometimes pretty damn important.

Have you hit them enough to get your distances dialed in? What I mean by that is loft is only one factor in distance and with the way they launch initially, you might find the bend unnecessary.
If you have and think you want to do it, I say go for it.

Honestly, no I haven't. My worry really is more so with the short irons. If I hit my 9 iron (39 degrees) 155-160, my PW (44 degrees) 140-150, and AW (50 degrees) 120-125, then my 54 degree SW 100-105, there's going to be some glaring gaps in distance. Short of choking down on a club and hit a smoother 3/4th type shot, I'm not sure how to fix this spacing issue. If I'm sitting 130-135 or 150, not sure which way to go. Try to blast a club up? Hit a 3/4th club down? I used to have distances so dialed in that I didn't think about it.

Back