Steamroller

Reaction score
Handicap
There are no good, successful humor or satirical golf magazines. I love golf and comedy and my idea was to make my own funny golf magazine (printed or online). I think golf is one of those sports or games that are suitable for good jokes. One of the funniest comedies is about golf – Caddyshack. So what do you think about that?

Follow me around for the first half of the season and I could be a great resource for your success. I could teach you language which you’ve never heard before. Hell, I invent most of it as I go. I could teach you how to cheat within the current rules (one unfortunate incident last year where I knew the rules and the rest of my group didn’t regarding casual water:)). I could also teach you how to cheat outside of the rules, just wait until no ones looking.... :) (kidding on that last one-I own my suckage and don’t feel it necessary to cheat my way to a well deserved 90).

If you put something out there worth reading, it’ll be read. The only real advice I have is, get some eyes seeing your material and then look for advertiser dollars to make ends meet. It’s a tough road to rely on folks willing to pay for written material anymore. We can all read whatever we want online for free. Newspapers are dying and there’s a reason for it. I can come here to read all I want about golf. I don’t have to pay for it but I do I spring for the Albatross Club. This year I won a contest so I didn’t have to pay for it, but I would have anyways. There are too many once in a lifetime type things going on to not have that. But that’s the exception, in general you better have some unique material, and I mean truly unique, if you want someone to pay for it.

Good luck at any rate!

Follow me around for the first half of the season and I could be a great resource for your success. I could teach you language which you’ve never heard before. Hell, I invent most of it as I go. I could teach you how to cheat within the current rules (one unfortunate incident last year where I knew the rules and the rest of my group didn’t regarding casual water:)). I could also teach you how to cheat outside of the rules, just wait until no ones looking.... :) (kidding on that last one-I own my suckage and don’t feel it necessary to cheat my way to a well deserved 90).

If you put something out there worth reading, it’ll be read. The only real advice I have is, get some eyes seeing your material and then look for advertiser dollars to make ends meet. It’s a tough road to rely on folks willing to pay for written material anymore. We can all read whatever we want online for free. Newspapers are dying and there’s a reason for it. I can come here to read all I want about golf. I don’t have to pay for it but I do I spring for the Albatross Club. This year I won a contest so I didn’t have to pay for it, but I would have anyways. There are too many once in a lifetime type things going on to not have that. But that’s the exception, in general you better have some unique material, and I mean truly unique, if you want someone to pay for it.

Good luck at any rate!

Thank you for your time and opinion.

There are no good, successful humor or satirical golf magazines. I love golf and comedy and my idea was to make my own funny golf magazine (printed or online). I think golf is one of those sports or games that are suitable for good jokes. One of the funniest comedies is about golf – Caddyshack. So what do you think about that?

I have second thoughts about whether or not such a magazine would even appeal to people who take their golf seriously.

I have second thoughts about whether or not such a magazine would even appeal to people who take their golf seriously.

This is also true but there’s enough that look at their (hopefully only) 4 hour round as a way to unwind and have fun. Some people have fun by being serious and truly trying their hardest and practice all the time to get better.

I’d say the majority of the folks here though want to play good golf and work hard to get better, but enjoy the experience and the good times as much as the actual golf, or at least close. But this place is the exception from what I’ve seen. It’s a bunch of genuinely nice people that like to have a good time and golf is one of their outlets for it.

So this place is your target audience. Maybe write a few articles and post them here and see what kind of feedback you get? Just like in product reviews here I’d expect you’ll get honest feedback. I think it might be hard to put together a magazine as you outlined but maybe books, or a series of them might be easier? The advertising money wouldn’t be there for that. But there are lots of very successful book authors, even in the day of the internet. I still buy one occasionally:).

The other thought that I have, I grew up hunting and fishing a lot. I think it was Outdoor Life, but may have been Field and Stream, there was a humorous column at the end by a Patrick McManus. It was truly the highlight of that magazine for me. So maybe sell a current magazine such as Golf Digest on you writing a humorous column for them monthly. Patrick McManus also has several books which I either owned or borrowed from the library back then.

So there are definitely options out there. Again, I wish you good luck!

Back