Worst Driver Launches - Marketing Goes Silent

SLDR C?

Nike jumps to mind.

Wilson Staff jumps to mind.

Srixon comes to mind as well.

I think Wilson Staff missed an opportunity to really pump up the D200 driver. Lightest adjustable driver on the market. To me, thats something that could have really gotten everyones attention.

If I disreguard this forum as an information stand point I would rarely see anything about Bridgestone clubs and srixon clubs.

Nike is first to my mind. Then anything from Mizuno.

I think Wilson Staff missed an opportunity to really pump up the D200 driver. Lightest adjustable driver on the market. To me, thats something that could have really gotten everyones attention.

If I disreguard this forum as an information stand point I would rarely see anything about Bridgestone clubs and srixon clubs.

it's funny you both say that. Had conversations last night at sim league, one guy asked if W/S still made golf clubs(I was wearing a W/S t shirt) and if they were any good(he was a fan of their clubs back in the day). Another conversation about golf balls came up, one said it's amazing nobody makes a ball as good as the Pro V1, and someone mentioned srixon balls. Then followed it with, I wish they made clubs. Similar to Bridgestone, they are a golf ball only brand.

it's funny you both say that. Had conversations last night at sim league, one guy asked if W/S still made golf clubs(I was wearing a W/S t shirt) and if they were any good(he was a fan of their clubs back in the day). Another conversation about golf balls came up, one said it's amazing nobody makes a ball as good as the Pro V1, and someone mentioned srixon balls. Then followed it with, I wish they made clubs. Similar to Bridgestone, they are a golf ball only brand.
Its crazy how lost the general consumer is in the world of equipment. I dont even argue with people anymore. I just smile and nod

like most in here, nike was the first who came to mind. a few commercials, some loud colors, then absolutely nothing. so strange for a company as big as they are.

aeroburner also came to mind. i think the equipment was pretty good from what i've heard, but a pretty flat marketing campaign.

cobra is an interesting one. i would agree that the bio lines weren't marketed much. i'm glad to see them pushing king, although tbh i'm not sure i like the vibe it's throwing off. the equipment is very edgy and modern looking, but they seem to be focused on history and tradition of the "king" name.

i don't think it's fair to mention wilson, srixon or bridgestone. i don't feel like they live in the same space as the big guys.

Never really hear much about Mizuno.

Nike was the first to come to mind for me too.

Thats not surprising. Most non THP guys I play with are the same way. They know prov1, nike, callaway for balls. Clubs is taylormade, callaway, Titleist and ping

Anything Nike puts out seems to fit this bill; big press release and then silence.
Maybe it was just too long ago now but I don't remember much hype about the Taylormade R15 when it was released either, but maybe I was just tuning it out.
Agreed, and even when you do see marketing for their stuff it always seems to be mixed, say club and ball, or apparel and something else, never really product specific.

Nike

Wilson Staff

Bridgestone

Srixon

That said some of these are be design Titleist for instance they advertise clubs a certain way and I think that works for them. This is just judging off my perspective as an online forum junky
Would be very interested to hear from someone not as educated on equipment as fellow THPers I bet some answers would match up but I think some would shock some people here

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Man, I came here to post this.

In all seriousness though, TM is hot and cold when it comes to marketing. It's confusing.

Thats not surprising. Most non THP guys I play with are the same way. They know prov1, nike, callaway for balls. Clubs is taylormade, callaway, Titleist and ping

I good friend of mine who is a 6-10 times a year golfer recently wanted my advice on a new set of irons for cheap. He was gaming the same set since his dad bought him a set of Pinseekers 30 years ago. He actually played a bit as a kid and shoots in the 80's most of his rounds. I explained to him that he would pay a premium for the popular brands but the lesser know brands are every bit as good and made in the same foundries to the same tolerances. I steered him to the Wilson Ci11's and he was able to find a new set of 5-PW on eBay for $149. We both had a chance to hit them a couple days ago and not only are they beautiful but they feel amazing as well. He is super stoked, now we just need to find him a hybrid and a couple new woods.

I thought the RBZ launch was really good. They had every type of media covered with that and you couldn't go anywhere without having "rocketballz" in your face.

Seeing a lot of Nike mentions. I remember with their Covert 2.0 line they had a couple of commericals out there that got plenty of air time. Last year and this year, not so much.

Wilson usually doesn't do too much for their clubs now that I think of it.

I'd also say the

To me anything not TM/Callaway/Cobra seems to be just released then gone. Those 3 are the adds I see the most.

you guys think nike isnt dumping money on golf advertising now that TW is pretty much gone. Its not going to be a big money maker for them they would rather spend it on other areas clothes, shoes ect.

Drivers are different than what comes to mind initially. I see Cobra, Taylormade, Callaway, Ping, and some Titleist from drivers out there. I see very little additional from Nike, Mizuno, or Bridgestone (changing a little with Sneds and JGR), and they all have their reasons.

I did not like the SLDR campaign nor the PING G30 "you're welcome" Bubba Watson campaign. Not sure why, but they just didn't appeal to me.

Wait, the criteria clearly says single press release and not a peep.

Doesn't the company have to recognize the product to have a press release? I call foul on this.

To me anything not TM/Callaway/Cobra seems to be just released then gone. Those 3 are the adds I see the most.

This is my answer too, but I'd add Ping to the good group. I started with one OEM in mind then saw a post mentioning a different OEM and I agreed with it. Repeat until I am left agreeing with Lynchburg. Wilson, Bridgestone, Titleist, Nike, Cleveland/Srixon...poof and they have vanished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back