Cobra KING F9 SPEEDBACK Review - Range Days Episode 2

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Range Days is here and in this episode we bring you all of the data from testing out the new Cobra KING F9 Speedback Driver. However this is Range Days, so we do not just show the data, but break it down and explain why it is happening and what to expect out of the clubs in full review form.

Great episode!

JBs thoughts on the milling are really interesting, and there might be something to that for sure.

Also. #TeamYellow.

Last edited:
  • Admin
Great episode!

JBs thoughts on the milking are really interesting, and there might be something to that for sure.

Also. #TeamYellow.

I think you found one of my "other" videos : )

Great video and information. As an unabashed fan of the F7 and F8 models, I have no doubt that the F9 is a huge leap forward based on Canadan’s numbers and comments.

I also think JB’s thoughts on the sound is spot on. With the uniform milling, the sound has a way to leave the club face to the side, as opposed to from the face. I didn’t stay at a holiday inn express last night, but that seems to make sense to me.

Last edited:
Fantastic video gents.

Breaking down the tech in the head was great. Comparing the lower lofted head to the 12.5* head was informative. What stood out to me the most, was the forgiveness- when @CanaDan missed by 8mm but you still saw solid numbers, speaks volumes to a guy who needs all the help he can get.

The milled face discussion comparing sound to the feel/sound of a milled putter face is definitely an interesting take that I want to hear more about.

#TeamAvalanche

I also prefer #Blizzards from DQ

Nice to see such a breakdown by guys that don’t have English accents. I did watch a breakdown by one of the English blokes (MC) and he had different results out on the toe. He might have been further out on the toe than Dan, though.
The big takeaway for me was swingspeed - I think Dan’s results fits right in with the marketing of this particular driver.

Awesome video gents! I tend to miss off the toe a bit, so I’m def intrigued by JB saying this driver is worth the look for that kinda miss.

Curious why the data from Dan’s preferred shaft wasn’t included in the video? Sounds like it made a fairly large difference in the performance achieved.

If I recall in the 1st video, there was a comment made that center face contact will yield rather similar results irrespective of shaft...but the reference here to Dan’s preferred shaft (having not seen the data) increasing performance seems to dispute that. No? Just curious.

#cantdecidewhichcolorIprefer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So much information!! This episode was excellent!! Very well done!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Awesome video gents! I tend to miss off the toe a bit, so I’m def intrigued by JB saying this driver is worth the look for that kinda miss.

Curious why the data from Dan’s preferred shaft wasn’t included in the video? Sounds like it made a fairly large difference in the performance achieved.

If I recall in the 1st video, there was a comment made that center face contact will yield rather similar results irrespective of shaft...but the reference here to Dan’s preferred shaft (having not seen the data) increasing performance seems to dispute that. No? Just curious.

#cantdecidewhichcolorIprefer

We test all drivers the way that people can buy them and include the data on that.
In this instance, he did not "gain speed", but rathered centered the shots with ease leading to fantastic Smash Factor or Efficiency. Instead, we talk about why finding the right "Dan's preferred shaft" for you can lead to some fantastic performance.

Honestly I struggle with some of the testing done online that shows people raving about a product, yet if you look into it, its getting upwards of a grand in components. Sadly that is not real life for most golfers, but the good news is that most companies offer such a great array of shaft options that a person can find something that fits well.

Hope that makes sense.

We test all drivers the way that people can buy them and include the data on that.
In this instance, he did not "gain speed", but rathered centered the shots with ease leading to fantastic Smash Factor or Efficiency. Instead, we talk about why finding the right "Dan's preferred shaft" for you can lead to some fantastic performance.

Honestly I struggle with some of the testing done online that shows people raving about a product, yet if you look into it, its getting upwards of a grand in components. Sadly that is not real life for most golfers, but the good news is that most companies offer such a great array of shaft options that a person can find something that fits well.

Hope that makes sense.

Yes, pick’in up what you’re putt’in down! Thank you.

Yes, pick’in up what you’re putt’in down! Thank you.

And thanks for jumping in and watching. Always love the feedback and engagement that something like this can bring.

Fun discussion guys. Dan's ridiculous strike pattern aside I loved the comparison between the 9* head and the 12* head. I love that you touched on the 9* head essentially being this years plus model, I do think it was a good move by Cobra doing away with that designation. One thing I'd like to know more about was how you mentioned that playing the 9* head and lofting up could be totally different than playing the 10.5* at standard. What kind of differences could one expect to see?

Enjoyed the episode and both of your takes on the F9. Few takeaways for me— the idea that the face milling helps soften the sound and feel is interesting. I have an uncanny knack for missing on both the toe and heel side equally, and yes I despise Dan for his “miss”

Fun discussion guys. Dan's ridiculous strike pattern aside I loved the comparison between the 9* head and the 12* head. I love that you touched on the 9* head essentially being this years plus model, I do think it was a good move by Cobra doing away with that designation. One thing I'd like to know more about was how you mentioned that playing the 9* head and lofting up could be totally different than playing the 10.5* at standard. What kind of differences could one expect to see?

I would say a bit lower spin and a bit more penetrating flight. Im basing this off the technology and design, not from testing however.

Enjoyed the episode and both of your takes on the F9. Few takeaways for me— the idea that the face milling helps soften the sound and feel is interesting.

I can honestly say that I have no idea the accuracy of that statement, but it makes sense in this crazy thing I have on top of my neck.

I wont be able to watch it until tonight, but you can bet I will be tuning in

@JB I did laugh at fans 8mm miss.. If you want some more "extensive" data in happy to be the Guinea pig as I can show what happens when you find spots of the face that are centimeters away from the center.. Lol! I do like your description of the sound as well.. It is not metallic/pingy but is also not dead /artificial. The pleasant crunch when you catch one is addictive!

Team Avalanche yo!!

Diving in now! Plan period FTW!

Great episode guys. One thing I'd like to add that was a key factor to my purchase of the F9. Face interaction. It's probably one of the only drivers I hit where the feel and sound didn't change much if any from center strikes to offcenter strikes. It delivers the same feel and sound no matter where you hit it, within reason of course.

Great video and discussion about the various components of the head and their impact. Have read more positive buzz on this driver than any of the other 2019 releases on social media and seems like both of you guys are really high on it. Really liked the sound of the driver and obviously the performance that Dan was getting from all face impact areas. #TeamAvalanche

First and foremost.....

#TeamAvalanche forever! And I too enjoy a vanilla cone! HA!

Really well done, this one flowed SO well from start to finish and the groove is starting to be found, and that is PLAINLY evident to anyone who's watched each one. Well done!

Thoughts:

1) SOUND! SURFACE AREA! My kinda discussion at the end and its what I have been screaming from the mountain tops on putters for YEARS now. Surface area contact reduction HAS to effect the sound, and I think its a big part of why this one is so damn good.

2) I can vouch for the effectiveness on the toe side miss, only one other driver has been this good to me on that miss (my main miss) and that was the G400 Max.

3) The 9 vs 10.5 head situation intrigues me, I need the launch, but I'm very tempted to try the 9 turned up to see if I can drop the spin a bit more. Maybe when my spring/summer swing is intact.

4) "Bad" swings, lmao, so so bad Dan.......jerk.

5) The low miss you all talked about is literally a KILLER in most cases for people, they aren't exaggerating when they talk about that one in the video, to see it hang at 3319 RPM is nuts. NUTS.

6) The 9 vs 12.5 numbers were awesome to see. 2 degrees and 1000 RPM is hefty. Its cool though because it drives it back to the multiple heads within the same design conversation and I do believe that was a crazy smart way of doing things for Cobra.

Good stuff here. I really do hope people take the time to watch it, I know some will scream bias at me, but having watched the other vids on the F9 out there, NONE OF THEM get into this kind of data or conversation, its just the truth!

You should have tested Avalanche vs Yellow - I'm betting Yellow would be faster.

#TeamYellow

This has been my favorite Range Days so far. Great stuff guys.

Back