Votes: 16 10.6%
  • 2 Minutes to walk around from all angles

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • About a minute to get it read from 2 sides

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • I take a quick glance and then fire away

Votes: 78 51.7%

• Total voters
I am somewhere between a quick glance and a minute to read it. I don't like to take to long or I will 2nd, 3rd and 4th guess myself.

I really only take a look from behind, since I am never really playing for a green jacket.... If there is a lot of undulation then I may take a different angle, but from 15' I am just trying to get within tap-in range, so I generally only need a few seconds to see what I am looking for.

While people are putting I am already lining up and squaring my line on the ball to my intended putting line and often they get confused as if I am going next, and I am like no man its still you I am just getting ready to follow.

I eyeball the putt as I approach the green and take a quick glance from behind and pull the trigger.

For the putt you described, it's the last one for me.

I typically line up the putt behind the ball and then quickly step up and putt. I am actively working to change this routine to take more time reading putts from more angles. Having made changes to my putting, I have a lot more confidence that if I read the putt right, the aim, stroke, and distance will consistently be there to make it. A little extra time is well spent.

I voted a minute, but if I know the course well, probably doesn't take but 10 seconds. Some I know before I even get to the green. If I don't know it well I'll take a little time with it.

I cant view the poll on Tapatalk but i tend to make quick reads but also like seeing the line from a few different angles so i usually start lining up before it is my turn unless im first to putt. I dont know how much time i take after that but its probably about average.

Snedeker is my co-pilot. I try to not take too much time, and don't even like picking up/marking my ball unless I'm in someone's line. I definitely don't mark and pick-up if my follow-up putt is under a few feet and nobody is ready to putt.

A quick glance. Like most things in golf, putting is something that you dont want to overthink.

I'd say I'd give it a fairly quick read and fire away.... Less than 15 seconds.

I don't like to study putts very long, if I do I will over think it. Look from behind, see the line, line up and putt.

Some longer than others. I am a APEr so it is pretty quick. Usual know the line before my turn to go. I would say for anything inside 30' with a single break. 20 seconds or less.

I selected about a minute, but that's the max amount of time. Given the scenario you laid out and the putt doesnt have much too it, I'll take a look from behind the ball and and get into my routine in under a minute. Something more difficult or with something on the line i might take a full minute.

I think it's definitely less than a minute for me. I typically only read from behind the ball. If my partners are putting first I'll read during that time and then step up, take 3-4 practice strokes and let it go. Maybe 45 seconds total. I've found the more time I spend trying to read the more I overthink it and have poor results.

I voted as long as I need. Generally isn't that long, I'm sure not circling the green like a vulture.

I didn't vote because the appropriate choice way not available. If you are using Aimpoint Express ALL of your putts should take between 10 to 20 seconds to figure out your line. Many believe that APE slows down the game. I'm convinced that it speeds it up the game.

I will take as long as I think I need, but it's never very long, I get my line, line up my ball, then give it a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say about 30 seconds if that. I do use a line on my ball so I take the time to read the putt from the back and line the ball up, then fire away. If there is no one behind us I will usually read from both sides and take a little longer.

I take a minute or so and look at my line and try and read the green. If I take to long I over think it and usually end up leaving them really short.

I chose option 4. Generally I can get a pretty good idea of what it's doing from that distance. Every rare once in a while, I'll take a quick look from the other side of the hole if I'm in doubt.

Some of the reading can be done while the others are reading their putts. I mark if I'm out and take every chance there is to look around.

I picked the last because I read my putts from one side of the hole.

Usually pretty quick.
Read it on the walk up and decide on a line usually before I get to the ball.
Then just figure out speed and let it go.

I any putt less than 25 feet I average right around 15 seconds to read it and hit it. Longer or double breaking putts I might need and extra 10 seconds.

Back