Which way to go...

RayG

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Came across these two "tips" over the years. As we get a bit older and flexibility becomes more of an issue, I've heard that "opening" the back foot will help get a bit easier hip rotation on the backswing. But... I've also heard that opening the front foot can aid in getting the hips to open easier on the downswing. Since I'd rather not waddle like a duck during the swing if I do both, is there a preference between these two scenarios? Besides working on the actual rotation with actual physical exercise?

Do you hit a fade or a draw?

Came across these two "tips" over the years. As we get a bit older and flexibility becomes more of an issue, I've heard that "opening" the back foot will help get a bit easier hip rotation on the backswing. But... I've also heard that opening the front foot can aid in getting the hips to open easier on the downswing. Since I'd rather not waddle like a duck during the swing if I do both, is there a preference between these two scenarios? Besides working on the actual rotation with actual physical exercise?

this to me is a prime "worth a lesson with the best instructor I can find locally" question. great question

Your feet naturally sit slightly open, if you try to make sure your feet are both pointing straight forward, you will feel it in your knees. I use a more open front foot and square back foot for the purpose you describe. ( mine stems from a back injury) I make sure I always stretch good before a round.

Do you hit a fade or a draw?

Over the years, preferred flight is a slight draw... However, this has been with a slightly closed stance. With 'normal' foot positioning. wondering if 'opening' with the front or back foot might help. (even with the closed stance)

Over the years, preferred flight is a slight draw... However, this has been with a slightly closed stance. With 'normal' foot positioning. wondering if 'opening' with the front or back foot might help. (even with the closed stance)

I would generally suggest the front foot over the back since it could lead to swaying.

Which way to go...

I'm seriously considering going back to both feet flared open some (due to back injuries).

For the past few years I've set up with more of a squared back foot, front flared some. I did this to help me shorten my backswing. Worked, I didn't turn as much so the larger turn coupled with my lack of flexibility, my breaking down with the left arm largely disappeared with my more compact backswing.

What I didn't realize is that my swing began to resemble the X-Factor style of play. Only learned of that recently and its connection to lower lower back injuries.

Some years back, my buddies used offer a ribbing "quack-quack!" every now and then. I hadn't realized that over time I'd allowed both feet to flare some. Looking back now, it was also during a period of time when I had my longest healthy streak as to my lumbar disks. I'd gone six full years between injuries and probably a decade since hurting myself on the course (the one during the decade happened in the gym).

Could be coincidence but if not, I'll have to thank you for this thread as it's pushed me over the edge toward give it another shot.

"Quack-quack!!!"

I'd go with the front foot flared. The suggestion to see a pro is a good suggestion. Short of that, maybe try all three setups (front, back, and both flared) on the range and see the results.

I’ve always flared my front foot and now flare the right foot every so slighty. A narrower stance will also allow for a bigger back turn but there is no substitute for a fitness routine especially past the age of 50. I’m soon 54 and work diligently to maintain my flexibility and so far have not lost any distance.

At 61 years old, I went to the flared front foot just a little last fall. It helped me get through the ball and turn my body towards the target.
Since I started trying that near the end of the season, I will keep trying it this Spring and see how it goes.

It seems when I flare the front foot a bit and shorten the back swing I find center face much more often.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’ve been flaring both my feet out quite a bit lately, almost duck waddling like you mentioned. It all started when I tried Dana Dahlquist’s online membership for a month. But now I like it better as I get a bit more rotation in both back and down swing.

If I'm not mistaken, Jamie Sadlowski was telling us at the Cleveland event that he flares both open so he can get a wide turn going back and follow through. He slightly opens the back foot and flares out the front more.

I'm seriously considering going back to both feet flared open some (due to back injuries).

For the past few years I've set up with more of a squared back foot, front flared some. I did this to help me shorten my backswing. Worked, I didn't turn as much so the larger turn coupled with my lack of flexibility, my breaking down with the left arm largely disappeared with my more compact backswing.

What I didn't realize is that my swing began to resemble the X-Factor style of play. Only learned of that recently and its connection to lower lower back injuries.

Some years back, my buddies used offer a ribbing "quack-quack!" every now and then. I hadn't realized that over time I'd allowed both feet to flare some. Looking back now, it was also during a period of time when I had my longest healthy streak as to my lumbar disks. I'd gone six full years between injuries and probably a decade since hurting myself on the course (the one during the decade happened in the gym).

Could be coincidence but if not, I'll have to thank you for this thread as it's pushed me over the edge toward give it another shot.

"Quack-quack!!!"

I flare both of my feet, and have suffered with a slipped disc years ago, so I know where you are coming from

For me, it alleviates any pressure on my back and having played 3 days out of 4 in this last week I am absolutely fine - my instructor recommended it to help with my back issues, so guessing there must be some truth to it

I flare both of my feet, and have suffered with a slipped disc years ago, so I know where you are coming from

For me, it alleviates any pressure on my back and having played 3 days out of 4 in this last week I am absolutely fine - my instructor recommended it to help with my back issues, so guessing there must be some truth to it
Thanks, that sure does provide affirmation. I'll be sure to give it a go as I'm at the point for the first time where scoring takes a back seat to just my ability to play.

Previously, I wanted to get better and would stick to the technique I thought best to get me where I wanted to go. Now I'm willing to just employ the safest, even if I must lose distance as an example, just to get back out there.

Back