Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming from the Dodger fan. He is not hte only one that has that same order by the way. So does Gammons, Andrew Ciciliano, and a few others. It seems that just about every "ranking" I have seen has the top three with those three AL East teams.

In the end, it means nothing.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/powerrankings
His own network even put the Dodgers out front. I dont have a problem with him putting the AL teams out front, I just find it funny how he puts the Phillies in front of the Dodgers based on our lack of a fifth starter and the bullpen cracking.

Gammons, who I respect more than any other baseball writer said "The Dodgers right now are playing as good as anybody. However they remind me just a little bit of a team built for the regular season, and I just do not see them as a top four team yet."

Gammons is the best, Olney is not. The Dodgers offense will have no problem come post season, same goes for the Phillies. Ill agree that the rotation might not be too strong come post season, but I would take my chances with LAs top 4 over the Phillies. Hamels is nothing like last year, Moyer is old and who do they turn to for #3, Lopez, Pedro, Happ?

We all know anything can happen in the playoffs, look at the Cubs last year, but you got to have the Dodgers taking the NL pennant.
The team I would worry the most about in a 5 game series is the Giants.

I disagree a little bit. I actually think the Phillies are the team to beat in the NL, especially since the emergence of Happ. I look at the Dodgers like the did the Yankees the last 3-4 years (up until this year). Great offense and come playoff time they were usually one and done. The pitching just did not hold up.

This is my problem with ESPN. When Buster Olney was asked for the best teams in baseball this year he says "Red Sox, Yanks, and Rays are 3 of the 4 best teams in baseball, along with the Phillies."

So the co host responds with "So that means you can't have the Dodgers any higher than 5th?"

Buster says "Yes, I have the Dodgers 5th. Their bullpen is showing cracks and they're lacking a fifth starter."

Now I realize Buster is a Dodger fan and doesnt want to sound like a homer, but come on. The Phillies have a crappy rotation, Chan Ho Park is their 5th starter and Brad Lidges ERA is over 7. That seems like a bigger problem. Every other media outlet has the Dodgers number # 1 in their power rankings, but Buster really thinks they are #5. Seems a little biased towards the East Coast.

Gas- gotta disagree with some of the 'facts' here. I'm from Philly and follow the Phils mighty close (30+ yrs). Park was their 5th starter but has been in the bullpen since May. The Phils rotation isn't necessarily 'crappy' (worst ERA in the NL notwithstanding) but it's been the pitching and timely hitting carrying them on their current 9 game winning streak. Don't get yourself all twisted when these talking heads start to go on about rankings, etc. It's all filler and designed to generate debates like this.

I disagree a little bit. I actually think the Phillies are the team to beat in the NL, especially since the emergence of Happ. I look at the Dodgers like the did the Yankees the last 3-4 years (up until this year). Great offense and come playoff time they were usually one and done. The pitching just did not hold up.

Agreed- Since Happ has come on the Phils' bargaining position in the Halladay sweepstakes has improved immensely. Plus they signed Pedro as an insurance policy for Moyer (old but pitching better than earlier in the year). I'm not saying Pedro is the savior here but they signed him knowing he's no more than a 6 inning pitcher. Plus, the Phils' bullpen is much better now that they're not getting overworked like they did in May and June.

It's all filler and designed to generate debates like this.

All im saying is that the Dodgers bullpen has the most wins and lowest ERA in the league and the rotation is second behind the Giants in ERA and Olney says its cracking.

All im saying is that the Dodgers bullpen has the most wins and lowest ERA in the league and the rotation is second behind the Giants in ERA and Olney says its cracking.

better than him saying it's on crack, though.

As good as the Dodgers are, I just can't see them beating the Yankees, Red Sox, or Rays...

I wouldn't get too worked up about it Gasman. Many times when they do those sort of rankings they are just talking about the last week or two. The Phillies are on a hot streak right now so they get the current edge. Through the season I have seen the Cardinals as high as two and as low as the mid to upper teens on various websites. Best part about baseball is that over the course of 6 months, the top teams will eventually separate themselves from the rest. There is still 2.5 months in the season for it to get figured out.

As good as the Dodgers are, I just can't see them beating the Yankees, Red Sox, or Rays...

I would actually put the Angels in front of the Rays. If you look at what they have done with all of the injuries, it is pretty impressive.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it Gasman. Many times when they do those sort of rankings they are just talking about the last week or two.

I take it with a grain of salt, but I just found his latest to be laughable. The sad thing is that ESPN is how a lot of people get their baseball info and that is not saying much when the contributers cant even stay awake late enough to watch the other half of the league. The Phillies have looked great since the break, but so have the Astros, Angels and Rockies.

There injuries? We lost 2 of our starters for a period of time. Our HR 1st baseman, our all star 3rd baseman, and our 2nd baseman is out for the year. And their pitching NEVER holds up.

There injuries? We lost 2 of our starters for a period of time. Our HR 1st baseman, our all star 3rd baseman, and our 2nd baseman is out for the year. And their pitching NEVER holds up.

and Burrell is starting to hit for you now....how the ladies miss him here in Philly.

I would actually put the Angels in front of the Rays. If you look at what they have done with all of the injuries, it is pretty impressive.

I take it with a grain of salt, but I just found his latest to be laughable. The sad thing is that ESPN is how a lot of people get their baseball info and that is not saying much when the contributers cant even stay awake late enough to watch the other half of the league. The Phillies have looked great since the break, but so have the Astros, Angels and Rockies.

True about injuries, but regardless...the Rays would beat them with or without their injured players. The Angels have done a great job, but they can't beat the Rays.

Wait...who is your HR hitting 1B? Longoria and Pena aren't out for the year??

I'm all confused, haha. :D

Hehe, believe me I do not like the Angels, but their starting rotation has been a mess. Adenhart died, Lackey, Escobar, Moseley and Santana have all been injured. Shields is out for the season. Guerrero has been hurt all year and Hunter(team MVP?) is out as well. I know injuries are part of baseball, but Sciossca has worked some miracles this year.

I think Pena had some vision problems.

I think Pena had some vision problems.

Maybe he can pull a David Ortiz and take these infamous magical "eye drops" which suddenly make you start hitting homers again?? :confused2:

and Burrell is starting to hit for you now....how the ladies miss him here in Philly.

I never got why the Phillies fans were so mean to Burrell. They would boo him almost as much as they would for Scotty Rolen.

Pena has been hurt all year, not out for the year. And Evan L has missed games and still has a hamstring problem that has plagued him all year.

Hehe, believe me I do not like the Angels, but their starting rotation has been a mess. Adenhart died, Lackey, Escobar, Moseley and Santana have all been injured. Shields is out for the season. Guerrero has been hurt all year and Hunter(team MVP?) is out as well. I know injuries are part of baseball, but Sciossca has worked some miracles this year.

Every team has injuries. Like I said, we lost the heart of our defense with Aki getting injured for the year. Then we lose Kazmir for two weeks and half the team has hamstring problems. Yet they still are playing as well as any team in baseball right now and would have very little issues with the Angels (right now).

Oh yeah we lost our closer for the year too.

Every team has injuries. Like I said, we lost the heart of our defense with Aki getting injured for the year. Then we lose Kazmir for two weeks and half the team has hamstring problems. Yet they still are playing as well as any team in baseball right now and would have very little issues with the Angels (right now).

Oh yeah we lost our closer for the year too.
You couldnt of expected too much out of Issy or Percival this year. They were both gambles.
I wouldnt be so sure they would have little problems with the Angels. Didnt the Halos just sweep the Yankees last week?

The Angels are the same team year after year. They run away with the regular season and then they get to the playoffs and they do not have the pitching to get it done. No different this year.

The Angels are the same team year after year. They run away with the regular season and then they get to the playoffs and they do not have the pitching to get it done. No different this year.

I dont think its the Angels year, but I also dont think they will just fall over.

Why? They have every other playoffs. hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back