Wonder What the Two "TW's" Are Thinking.

Johneli

Reaction score
Handicap
Tom Watson certainly must be feeling better about himself than Tiger Woods. Or do you think Watson's beating himself up over not being able to make par on 18? Wood's emotions must be all over the place wondering how his game leaked away on a course that he clearly looked uncomfortable on.

So, which of these two "TW's" is beating himself up more in your opinion?

PS. Not to reiterate, but I still think Tiger is putting extreme pressure on himself to win his first Major after surgery (as validation.) I'm really anxious to see how he'll do in the PGA, but if I were him I would play a little more links golf.

Tom Watson certainly must be feeling better about himself than Tiger Woods. Or do you think Watson's beating himself up over not being able to make par on 18? Wood's emotions must be all over the place wondering how his game leaked away on a course that he clearly looked uncomfortable on.

So, which of these two "TW's" is beating himself up more in your opinion?

PS. Not to reiterate, but I still think Tiger is putting extreme pressure on himself to win his first Major after surgery (as validation.) I'm really anxious to see how he'll do in the PGA, but if I were him I would play a little more links golf.

A local sports show here in the NE (Comcast SportsNet DNL) had a reporter covering the Open on to give a review of the tourney. The reporter said he ran into Watson in the airport and he said that Watson told him that he went through 2 bottles of wine Sunday night. Given that info, I'd say it's a push.

A local sports show here in the NE (Comcast SportsNet DNL) had a reporter covering the Open on to give a review of the tourney. The reporter said he ran into Watson in the airport and he said that Watson told him that he went through 2 bottles of wine Sunday night. Given that info, I'd say it's a push.

LOL!! Very funny! For the very first time since I've been following Tiger, this is the first time when I would have preferred seeing Watson win irrespective of whether Tiger made the cut or not.

Interesting question Johneli, I am not sure who I think who is beating themselves up more in the short run. The idea that missing a cut in a major may make Tiger as sick as Watson is about having a major in his grasp and losing says something about Tiger’s determination in my opinion. In the long run my guess is Watson will be beating himself up more because the chances of him making another run at a major are probably astronomical and in the end Tiger will realize that even if he would have made the cut the odds were still against him to win The Open.

I am thinking Tiger is looking for more answers than Tom. What Tom Watson did, although surprising, was good for the game of golf this past weekend. He's disappointed to be sure, but he did accomplish something good. Tiger's M/C probably has him thinking about his swing, other answers, and was much more of personal disappointment for him. I don't put a lot of stock in rumors, but it just might be possible that Hank Haney might be on the hot seat. Watson, himself will take the blame for not winning. I'll leave it at that........:comp:

Tom Watson will be haunted by this experience the rest of his life, whether he chooses to admit it or not, needing to make a par from the middle of the fairway on the 72nd hole and he failed to do it. His performance in the playoffs further showed that "the wind was out of his sails"(as Jack put it the following day) after the 72nd hole.

I am probably on the other side of this thinking that Tiger isn't going to be that upset about missing the cut, sure he has some things to work on, but he always does! He really only had a 6-7 bad hole run that caused him to miss the cut by a shot. He then got on his million dollar plane with his supermodel wife and flew back to his multi-million dollar home to spend time with his young children. How upset can the guy be???

I think Tiger is done for good. He will be a billionaire by the end of the year, he's got a wife and two kids. I think he will just quit golf and stay home. Wouldn't you?

I think Tiger is done for good. He will be a billionaire by the end of the year, he's got a wife and two kids. I think he will just quit golf and stay home. Wouldn't you?

:rofl: :rofl:

Tom Watson will be haunted by this experience the rest of his life, whether he chooses to admit it or not, needing to make a par from the middle of the fairway on the 72nd hole and he failed to do it. His performance in the playoffs further showed that "the wind was out of his sails"(as Jack put it the following day) after the 72nd hole.

I am probably on the other side of this thinking that Tiger isn't going to be that upset about missing the cut, sure he has some things to work on, but he always does! He really only had a 6-7 bad hole run that caused him to miss the cut by a shot. He then got on his million dollar plane with his supermodel wife and flew back to his multi-million dollar home to spend time with his young children. How upset can the guy be???

I don't know, but when you're hauling around an ego as large as Tiger's, I would bet he's more humiliated than PO'd. And I agree that he's going to be looking at Haney as maybe more of a bandaid guy than a pure swing coach.

Yup, he outta hang em up. He's toast at 31. Only 19 more years to wait for the Champion's Tour.

I don't know, but when you're hauling around an ego as large as Tiger's, I would bet he's more humiliated than PO'd. And I agree that he's going to be looking at Haney as maybe more of a bandaid guy than a pure swing coach.

Johneli, I have to disagree with you just a bit on this one. I swear I don't think that Tiger is humiliated. My view is that Tiger, being the technician that he is, knows what is wrong, gave it his best shot at The Open, and he knows that he will "fix" it. I think that he would only feel humiliated if he knew that he didn't give it his best. While he does have a big ego, I still think that he manages it pretty well. He was pretty gracious with the press afterwards and "took his medicine" like man. Yeah, he curses and throws clubs---which is not necessarily admirable---but many of us do the same kind of thing in frustration. It's human.

My theory is that Tiger is literally thinking TOO MUCH. I think Phil does the same thing. I think that he needs to go out and have a few beers with Anthony Kim, relax, and just play.

Yup, he outta hang em up. He's toast at 31. Only 19 more years to wait for the Champion's Tour.

He's 33.

As to TWs beating themselves up, I picked Tiger in all three of the pick 'em events I entered. Foolish, foolish mistake. Gah!!! :angry:

Johneli, I have to disagree with you just a bit on this one. I swear I don't think that Tiger is humiliated. My view is that Tiger, being the technician that he is, knows what is wrong, gave it his best shot at The Open, and he knows that he will "fix" it. I think that he would only feel humiliated if he knew that he didn't give it his best. While he does have a big ego, I still think that he manages it pretty well. He was pretty gracious with the press afterwards and "took his medicine" like man. Yeah, he curses and throws clubs---which is not necessarily admirable---but many of us do the same kind of thing in frustration. It's human.

My theory is that Tiger is literally thinking TOO MUCH. I think Phil does the same thing. I think that he needs to go out and have a few beers with Anthony Kim, relax, and just play.

Will, I think you KNOW that I worship the spikes Tiger stands on, but what I see as a problem is that in the practice rounds at Turnberry he was flawless. Even to the point where all the other players who saw him play in those practice rounds practically considered him a slam dunk. There's something troubling about how he could lose it in a day or two. Now if it were me I could understand....but El Tigre????

And yes I DO believe Tiger has a gigantic ego (that, as you say) he manages quite well. I also believe his ego drives him and that he becomes humiliated when he performs at such a low level. Heck, I think that's only natural.

Tiger has already shaken it off. It's not the 1st cut he's missed in a major and it wont be his last. As amazing as his performance was, Watson will relive the 18th hole until the day he dies. Not even a close call Johneli.

Back