Need some general feedback - what to do, what to work on?

jin_xianjun

Charles
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey all. Decided to record some current progress of my swing. I don’t do this often and feel like I should just get more eyes on my swing. It used to be VERY steep on the downswing and on the inside on the backswing. I also used to really suffer from early release and “humping towards the ball”.

One thing I’m currently working on is hand/ball position at address - should I stand closer or further? Another thing I think I’m having trouble with is full hip turn but that may be a mobility thing. Thoughts?

8 iron DTL, standing closer

8 iron DTL, standing further

Driver DTL, standing a little further

Last edited:
Hey all. Decided to record some current progress of my swing. I don’t do this often and feel like I should just get more eyes on my swing. It used to be VERY steep on the downswing and on the inside on the backswing. I also used to really suffer from early release and “humping towards the ball”.

One thing I’m currently working on is hand/ball position at address - should I stand closer or further? Another thing I think I’m having trouble with is full hip turn but that may be a mobility thing. Thoughts?

8 iron DTL, standing closer
https://youtu.be/0Mda35obZMI

8 iron DTL, standing further
https://youtu.be/1gVNBu0FIvI

Driver DTL, standing a little further
https://youtu.be/sSx4dnW1cuE

Jin,

1) In the videos you are so focused on ball position that you are neglecting the target. For address technique, try the following method:
a) stand tall with your feet together, ball in front of your left foot.
b) with arms hanging relaxed at your sides, bend from your hips, then relax your knees a bit so that the sole of the club may touch the ground
c) aim the club face at your target line, and then take your grip (while maintaining the club face alignment you previously set)
d) look at your target as you now take your stance, moving left foot to your left and right foot to the right, all the while you continue looking at your target (not the ground).

The above technique is the traditional method for promoting effective posture, alignment, ball position and more.
Your videos reveal a strong-flexible-athletic guy with the potential to be a scratch handicap player. The above address process technique, especially getting in the habit of looking at the target while taking your stance width, will help you play shots with a consistently good rhythm-tempo.
Right now you appear to be a power-distance focused type of player. To shoot your lowest scores you should be focused on playing shots at your targets.
Good detail(including drawings and photos) for proper address technique can be found in Jack Nicklaus "Golf My Way" book and, or, Tiger Woods "How I play Golf" book. These books are great for crucial fundamentals such as grip technique, address posture and you will find the answers to the questions you have about ball position, distance-from-ball etc...

Jin,

1) In the videos you are so focused on ball position that you are neglecting the target. For address technique, try the following method:
a) stand tall with your feet together, ball in front of your left foot.
b) with arms hanging relaxed at your sides, bend from your hips, then relax your knees a bit so that the sole of the club may touch the ground
c) aim the club face at your target line, and then take your grip (while maintaining the club face alignment you previously set)
d) look at your target as you now take your stance, moving left foot to your left and right foot to the right, all the while you continue looking at your target (not the ground).

The above technique is the traditional method for promoting effective posture, alignment, ball position and more.
Your videos reveal a strong-flexible-athletic guy with the potential to be a scratch handicap player. The above address process technique, especially getting in the habit of looking at the target while taking your stance width, will help you play shots with a consistently good rhythm-tempo.
Right now you appear to be a power-distance focused type of player. To shoot your lowest scores you should be focused on playing shots at your targets.
Good detail(including drawings and photos) for proper address technique can be found in Jack Nicklaus "Golf My Way" book and, or, Tiger Woods "How I play Golf" book. These books are great for crucial fundamentals such as grip technique, address posture and you will find the answers to the questions you have about ball position, distance-from-ball etc...

Great tips! I really appreciate it! Tiger's book was my Bible growing up. Not another book I studied harder than that. I've been so microfocused on pieces of my swing, I think the entire process got away from me. And yes, I've been distance hungry for a long time. It's a bit of a mental curse.

Great tips! I really appreciate it! Tiger's book was my Bible growing up. Not another book I studied harder than that. I've been so microfocused on pieces of my swing, I think the entire process got away from me. And yes, I've been distance hungry for a long time. It's a bit of a mental curse.

For getting rid of distance-hit-it-hard-power etc... focus one very effective method is to play rounds of golf always choosing one more club than you instinctively want to play. For example, when faced with your usual 8-iron shot, swing a 7-iron; from where you usually play a 6-iron, swing a 5-iron, and from a yardage where you usually play a PW, swing a 9-iron.
Within just a few holes of doing the above the player naturally (without having to think about it) gets rid of any "hit-power-distance etc..." thoughts and his swing naturally finds a good effective tempo, rhythm.

For getting rid of distance-hit-it-hard-power etc... focus one very effective method is to play rounds of golf always choosing one more club than you instinctively want to play. For example, when faced with your usual 8-iron shot, swing a 7-iron; from where you usually play a 6-iron, swing a 5-iron, and from a yardage where you usually play a PW, swing a 9-iron.
Within just a few holes of doing the above the player naturally (without having to think about it) gets rid of any "hit-power-distance etc..." thoughts and his swing naturally finds a good effective tempo, rhythm.
Another range session today. Calmed down, went through each shot process and routine. Definitely finding myself more relaxed, hitting shots better distance and accuracy wise. Thanks for the advice!

Update from today's session. Had a second set of eyes help with some swing thoughts and movements.

Back