TaylorMade P790 Dilema

r80rew

Reaction score
Handicap
Good Evening fellow THPers,

So I had posted about the G410 irons and my shaft thoughts as I underwent some testing (fitting & rounds with 2 shaft options). I eventually came to a suprise decision that the Alta CB stiff shaft was my shaft of choice with this head and was in the process of getting a price from the local Pro.

On Wednesday I had the chance to go to our a Golf supermarket in the UK (ironically called American Golf) and hit several irons with different shafts to ensure I had made the best choice. I tried the I500, AP3, G410 (again) & the P790 all with their graphite shaft in stiff flex. I hit roughly 10 shots with each club starting with the G410 as it was the setup I thought fitted me best. I did not like the I500 at all, it just didn't gel with me at all & then hit the AP3 which I liked but only on a par with the G410. Finally I was passed the P790 and hit my 10 shots which were all longer than the other combinations and also the dispersion was better. I then took another 6 swings with the p790 and all flew 175 yards and were within 8 yards dispersion 4 yards from center which is amazing for me. Obviously I am now smitten and feel these are the clubs i need to buy.

Can i just have some feed back off my fellow THPers on their thoughts of the P790 with a graphite shaft?

Thanks
Andrew

I have read every page of that thread and was just looking for specific P790 feedback.

I have read every page of that thread and was just looking for specific P790 feedback.

I’ll be happy to answer any questions you have (I gamed them for a full year, more or less), but that thread JB posted has a wealth of information

What is it you want to know exactly? I’ve been playing the P790’s with recoil shafts for around 9 months and love em. I strike the ball better than I ever have, as a low hitter I get more height with these than any club I’ve hit before, and considering these are supposed to be low spin (which as a low spin player I was concerned about) I have no problems with either balls dropping out of the sky, or stopping on the green.
I don’t know if it’s the fitting, the club head or the shaft that’s made the difference to be honest. I will say, with the graphite shafts, these things feel light. My playing partner plays the 790’s with a stick steel shaft and they feel so different. Apart from the weight, which I soon got used to, I find little difference between my recoils and my steel shafts I used to play. I don’t like changing my clubs every 5 minutes. If I find something I like, I stick to it. The P790’s will be in my bag for the next 3 or 4, maybe even 5 years easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have posted quite a bit in that thread that is specific to the P790 line. Although I cannot speak to this year’s releases, the P790 is my favorite player’s distance profile. I think it looks good. It is plenty forgiving. It is long, particularly in the 7 iron and longer. I get very good dispersion, particularly with the Steelfiber shaft I had in mine (which is a high end graphite shaft). The member on this forum who bought mine from me is raving about them as well. I am sure that they would be in my bag for this year, if I had not gotten into the Morgan Cup event and received a bag of Cobra equipment as part of the event. I don’t think you can go wrong with a set of P790s.

I don’t have experience with them with a graphite shaft. They are the longest iron clubhead I’ve ever hit, based on loft vs loft. Forgiveness is marginal, but centered hits just go for days. If I played 7500+ yard courses every day these would be in my bag.

If you’re looking for pure distance, and can hit the center the majority of the time, these are the irons you seek. If your accuracy is there, it’s a great match.

Most courses I play are in the 6500 yard (max) range tipped out. I don’t want a 190 yard 9i. But if I did, these are the irons I’d choose.

Thanks for the info so far....

Its really about did you regret getting the Recoil shaft over the Steel shaft option? Have you been happy with your performace? Have you seen an improvement in your performance? Has the P790 been the club you thought it would be? Are there any down sides?

Thanks for the info so far....

Its really about did you regret getting the Recoil shaft over the Steel shaft option? Have you been happy with your performace? Have you seen an improvement in your performance? Has the P790 been the club you thought it would be? Are there any down sides?

I think you are asking questions that are so subjective that the answers may or may not be applicable to you. In addition, you are asking specific shaft questions without being specific enough. The Recoil shaft is a complete family of shafts. For example, the Smacwrap simply does not work for me, but many others like it. If I were going Recoil, I would likely choose 110 weighting, but there are many on this forum who love the 95s.

The shaft I am looking at and have hit is the Recoil 95 but have been offered the 760ES & 780ES

I have posted quite a bit in that thread that is specific to the P790 line. Although I cannot speak to this year’s releases, the P790 is my favorite player’s distance profile. I think it looks good. It is plenty forgiving. It is long, particularly in the 7 iron and longer. I get very good dispersion, particularly with the Steelfiber shaft I had in mine (which is a high end graphite shaft). The member on this forum who bought mine from me is raving about them as well. I am sure that they would be in my bag for this year, if I had not gotten into the Morgan Cup event and received a bag of Cobra equipment as part of the event. I don’t think you can go wrong with a set of P790s.

That member is me - these clubs are incredibly forgiving - I was nervous going with a steel fiber shaft coming from stiff flex steel shafts my entire life but now I dont ever see myself playing a shaft besides the steelfiber.

To the OP - have you swung these clubs on a monitor?

Back