Live Update Thread & Contest - UST February Shaft Spectacular

Nate - great update re: fitting! Amazing what a shaft can do, especially with the forgiveness of current heads! Looks like a Big Time Monster has been created!!

Looking forward to Shane's thoughts re: fitting.

This was from one of the periscopes yesterday after our drives on 18. So you know I'm not blowing smoke! . Really was fun to play with great confidence.

Great thread and awesome Event, congrats on all the cool upgrades.

Here is one after the 4th or 5th hole yesterday and Danny talking about my driver progression.

Finally had a chance to catch up on the thread. Sounds like a great experience! But, we really don't need Nate to be even more dangerous with a driver do we? :D Great to see what a proper fit can do though.

Finally got caught up with all the amazing updates, great vids/pics/updates, THP and UST kicked it way out of the park, well done Shane and Nate as well!

Shane - After your fitting, what is the ball flight with your current driver shaft and will your fitting change that?
Been struggling with driver for longer than I like to think about but ball flight seems very similar so far. Good strikes are fairly straight maybe with baby draw or fade.

Shane: Two questions: Was the BBQ on point (from my seat it sure looked like it was)? What shaft profile are you looking at for your driver setup?
50g stiff or 60g regular, both felt and played similar to me...Danny likes 50g stiff more for me

Shane: What was one thing during the iron fitting that surprised you most?

Enjoy the awesomeness fellas.
i expected the recoil to feel great but was surprised still how great it felt...most surprised when my first recoil 110 demo 7i carried 168 and then Danny told me it was playing two degrees weak...wha??!? (Averaged around 160 with my pjx 5.5)

Shane: If they let you customize the paint job on a shaft what colors would you use?
I have been considering purple, red, white, yellow...oh pretty much everything LOL...the THP white shafts look great and I seem to remember a cool green one too...tough decision for me...

Shanewu: What was the biggest surprise, or most interesting thing you learned about UST today?

Nate: What was your favorite part of the tour?

I'm also curious, for both of you, if there is anything in particular you're hoping to get out of the full bag shaft fitting.

Thanks guys! It looks like you're having quite the THP experience.
i think it's interesting that UST Mamiya makes arrows, pole vaulting poles and other graphite products...Danny even mentioned a special project for cirque du soleil.

I havent been been playing my new clubs well so I'm hoping that this will help things click into place.

Shane - what is the one thing you learned today that was either a misconceived notion by your or other golfers?
too many people dismiss graphite as being for only older golfers or people worried about injuries...fact is there are PGA pros using graphite in irons, even the lighter weight 95g

Shane: what is the biggest misconception you had coming into this that you realize now that you've been through this?
i wouldn't have guessed that pga pros use graphite outside of long irons but that isn't true

More answers, info, photos, etc throughout the week

UST Wedge Proto Recoils

UST Wedge Proto Recoils

I remember someone earlier in the thread asked me what did I say once we learned not only were we getting a driver shaft fitting but an entire bag fitting. I believe it went something like, "That is really cool.......wait, what did you just say?"

I've always wanted to try the Recoil shafts. In particular I've wanted to try them in my wedges. I'm a digger and one of the advantages with the Recoils is how much softer they feel at contact. So why wouldn't I want to try them in my wedges!?! I'll be honest, I was planning on asking Danny about my plan and if he could help with my experiment at the end of the day. I didn't have too. He did one better (actually 3 better).

Recoil wedge proto shafts

B0E4FE4F-D7B3-402A-9FFC-3F4DED0920A1_zpsskj7cupu.jpg

We were moving at such a fast pace that I didn't get many details about them but I will confirm a few things with Danny further along the line. Danny wanted feedback so expect a new thread about them here on THP once I can get them installed and played.

Very happy to see UST and Recoil do some work in the wedge shaft area. I think they could make a big splash here without any issues.

I remember someone earlier in the thread asked me what did I say once we learned not only were we getting a driver shaft fitting but an entire bag fitting. I believe it went something like, "That is really cool.......wait, what did you just say?"

I've always wanted to try the Recoil shafts. In particular I've wanted to try them in my wedges. I'm a digger and one of the advantages with the Recoils is how much softer they feel at contact. So why wouldn't I want to try them in my wedges!?! I'll be honest, I was planning on asking Danny about my plan and if he could help with my experiment at the end of the day. I didn't have too. He did one better (actually 3 better).

Recoil wedge proto shafts

B0E4FE4F-D7B3-402A-9FFC-3F4DED0920A1_zpsskj7cupu.jpg

We were moving at such a fast pace that I didn't get many details about them but I will confirm a few things with Danny further along the line. Danny wanted feedback so expect a new thread about them here on THP once I can get them installed and played.

Very happy to see UST and Recoil do some work in the wedge shaft area. I think they could make a big splash here without any issues.
That is so cool! Recoil wedge shafts are my next step. Great Danny took good care of you there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nate: Are you looking forward to putting the Recoil shafts in your irons? What are you hoping for or expecting out of them?
Shane: same question & are you considering putting a shaft in your putter as well?
Yes, I am looking forward to playing irons with Recoils in them. I hope for and expect similar or better performance with improved feel.

No putter shaft change in my plans yet. I only hit about 5 putts with the UST putter shaft and it was with a Bridgestone putter i was unfamiliar with.

Shane: What parameters are important when it comes to you shaft fitting experience? Meaning, what exactly are you looking for, for yourself? length, flex and weight only, or more?
Looking for whatever is best for my swing at the time...and trying to be okay with whatever that is.

Shane: Without looking, do you know the name/manufacturer/flex of your current putter shaft
nope, still don't know

Questions:
Shane - Were you surprised by anything in the fitting process?
i was surprised by how good Danny (a director of marketing) is at it. He really knows his stuff.

Shane - Are you convinced that putter shaft fitting is the way to go? And why?
not convinced of that yet but I would not discount the idea. I'd like more time with the UST shaft on putter heads I'm more familiar with.

Shane: What was one thing you thought you had an understanding of walking into the event that you walked out saying, "wow, I just learned so much I thought I knew"
probably just general club and shaft knowledge...I knew less than I thought I did.

Questions for the guys:
Shane: What is the single biggest positive outcome form a shaft fitting are you looking for (consistency, direction, distance etc?)
My driver struggles recently have me thinking more about consistency

shane: what's more important to you? launch angle or spin?
Tough call...probably spin since I seem to hit it high enough without worrying about it

were the shaft winners revealed yet? If so congratulations to the 2 who won

Just a couple of parting thoughts till we make way for Round 2 in just a few weeks.

It was non stop from the moment we got there till the moment we left. Their HQ closes at 2:30pm on Friday's and there were still people there helping us and making us feel at home.

Danny and Lindsay are awesome.

It's fun to get excited about new equipment but it's really fun to see it working in the simulator and on the course. I'm excited about getting the rest of the elements, recoils and irod shafts into my bag.

Duck tacos are awesome - who knew?!

I think I could sit back and listen to Danny and JB banter back and forth at each other all night - the stories they tell.

Shane was like a kid in a candy store the whole weekend. Heck, I guess we both were. It was fun to see that.

Lindsay has a better swing than most other people and it was fun to watch her play.

Finally, I don't know how JB continues to do it but he seems to top each event one after the other each year.

Thanks again THP and UST Mamiya and good luck to the lucky 10 that follow us! Shane and I had a great time so the bar has been set high with these guys!

And Nate will be back there day after tomorrow where Danny will be installing all of his shafts for him.

#TopNotchService

Sorry Josh, didn't know for sure to post about the proto shaft in the old or this one, I'm curious how they might compare to each other?

And Nate will be back there day after tomorrow where Danny will be installing all of his shafts for him.

#TopNotchService

Lucky! So wish I lived closer right about now....that's like a $200-300 coupon. :D

Reposting this cuz I'm not sure if people noticed the wedge is a Taranto customized MD3. Lindsay designed it and he made another masterpiece. Hers says " flop it like it's hot "

0b0136db776f7d2b3e44d6f356455b3e.jpg

Dinner with JB, Danny, Lindsay and Nate:
ab362e367803f21004ab13fd3f7c3d1f.jpg

Stonebriar:
a6cab43f348451f26bcdd8a88e7c0171.jpg

4272f55ec0dc36a1904f6225c79ea1a5.jpg

The one shaft to rule them all:
6a1739adfa50aaaa1be17fabd20d7cf8.jpg

eeff1b6c3243880c618462ae027f6fa8.jpg

Pink/salmon shorts even look good from afar:
e410c5359ce543beb4d94853d9c9137e.jpg

This sums up my and Lindsay's golfing day:
6577b19978f4a93829c4fa2920465760.jpg

Great pictures Shane.

XR16 and shafts. Elements Helium proto is the blue one. I love the color and it looks great with the XR16! The other proto is chromed out and just has a sticker with a number on it. It is a yet-to-be determined Elements.

5b8383c05aa216348adff0d3ce8fb2b8.jpg

8e376c62773ac3628a14da3931de4cb0.jpg

6767f650a33068fcdd4c7bfdab1ee59f.jpg

cdbdb7bb6e84e2d369f3bb3d527f1a1c.jpg

3afa5ea4d16d035afff6caefe3fa5c4f.jpg

Will be getting the XR16 out this weekend with both shafts and also hope to hit GBB at least on the range with both. Might be able to get feedback from my dad too.

So many awesome custom shafts in there!

Great pictures Shane!!!

Back