Stock Market & Retirement Planning

I am mostly kidding because I'm the same way. Guy nailed me in an interview about that. He must've had access to my accounts and saw how I was invested. Not sure if that was exactly legal but...

I have to invest the IRA contribution (otherwise it sits), so I think I am going to look at some high dividend payouts. Still like the play of T, since the Directv merger and believe there is some serious revenue sitting there for them, and they have a heck of a dividend.

I was looking at potential based on dividends yesterday. I'm in the same boat with the IRA. Trying to make it grow steadily each year.

I got rid of half of my Netflix stock so it's burning a hole in my "pocket" lol

I am mostly kidding because I'm the same way. Guy nailed me in an interview about that. He must've had access to my accounts and saw how I was invested. Not sure if that was exactly legal but...

Ha. Im watching 3-4 stocks and then have one fund I will dump some in.

JB, do you just have Traditional/Roth or did you set yourself up a SEP IRA?

Trying to be more T right now at a certain price and its not going well.

I actually plan to go at 50 (thats when my financial advisor says i will be good to go) just hoping the market cooperates.

It's tough to know until you are less than 5 years away from retirement. Our plans for what housing/lifestyle is reachable in retirement have changed a couple times in the last 15 years as our financial picture has changed. As they say, you adjust your spending to your income. It also takes a huge nest egg if it's going to have to last 40 years or more. My wife and I could go out now at age 51(in 3 weeks) but with 3 kids still at home and the fact that our earnings and savings rate are much higher now than ever it makes sense for us to keep working and building that nest egg at least until our middle child is off to college in 2.5 years. I'm guessing when we reach that point we may decide again to keep working another year or two.

Girardcorp,

do you do much tax loss harvesting?

Also, how much attention to you put into putting your tax inefficient stuff into say an IRA and keeping tax efficient stuff into your taxable account?

Was able to get T and also grabbed some CSCO for a long term play based on little up and down movement and dividend.

Girardcorp,

do you do much tax loss harvesting?

Also, how much attention to you put into putting your tax inefficient stuff into say an IRA and keeping tax efficient stuff into your taxable account?
All the guys that have larger accounts really focus on both items.. This is usually are 'Wealth Management Advisors' are really tax loss harvesting as necessary along with better planning of where to hold investments. It really makes a huge different to put the tax inefficient items in the IRAs and be smarter about non-qualified money. It becomes crucially important when clients enter the distribution phase and they need to start strategize where to take money from first. The last thing they want to do is have a client bouncing around tax brackets because of what they are taking money out of.

If you're looking for dividends, nothing pays better than MLPs right now. You can make 20-40% annually at their current stock prices.

Problem is picking the ones that will be around in 2 years and won't slash their distribution.

While I agree with you, it was of a knock on our markets. I can't do anything about the fees charged at its thru work. All I can do I watch it over the next 30 years and hope there's enough in there to retire on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've lobbied to change 401(k) firms at work a few times, but haven't gotten anywhere. Maybe it's time for another go at it.

If you're looking for dividends, nothing pays better than MLPs right now. You can make 20-40% annually at their current stock prices.

Problem is picking the ones that will be around in 2 years and won't slash their distribution.
Enjoy the K-1s using that method.

I've lobbied to change 401(k) firms at work a few times, but haven't gotten anywhere. Maybe it's time for another go at it.

I don't really think I have that option, mine is a pension through the union which is fund used all across the country. I've got 30 more years until I can retire so I definitely in it for the long run...

I don't really think I have that option, mine is a pension through the union which is fund used all across the country. I've got 30 more years until I can retire so I definitely in it for the long run...

If you feel like you could benefit from a change and can make a decent argument, it can't hurt to write a letter. Maybe you can get some other people to join you. I'm 36 so I'm with you for a pretty long haul too!

Jumping on 2 more plays for my IRA this morning.
BAC at 13.50 in a long term move.
NFLX went to sub 100 and is a long term play too, to see how Asia revenue comes.

Was able to get T and also grabbed some CSCO for a long term play based on little up and down movement and dividend.
Thanks for the support, JB!
(picking up CSCO)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Saw an ad for shake shack going public during the wgc . Interesting. Might do some additional research

Saw an ad for shake shack going public during the wgc . Interesting. Might do some additional research

Wait, didnt Shake Shack go public in over a year ago?

Wait, didnt Shake Shack go public in over a year ago?

It might've. It was a Barclays ad. Still curious about the company. Looking for growth plays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It might've. It was a Barclays ad. Still curious about the company. Looking for growth plays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do some deep research. Its a unique stock based on what its trading at compared to earnings. Its kind of based solely on projections of MASSIVE growth.

haha, that's the highest PE I can remember looking at

Ha, just checkout Amazon...and Netflix

I actually like NFLX right now though, when below $100, because its just now starting to go international. Im in it, and will sell at $130-$150.

Back