Another rules question

dthogey

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My dad was recently playing in his member-guest tournament. He had a tee shot where the ball actually came to rest in a palm tree, they could see the ball. The opponents that he was paired with told him the only option was to go back to the tee and re hit with a stroke and distance penalty.

The option of an unplayable lie where you draw a line between the flag and the ball and go backwards would not have worked due to the position of the tree and an out-of-bounds along the edge of the Fairway.

I know there is another option for an unplayable lie where you can take a two Club distance away from the ball. Does the ball have to be on the ground in order to do this?

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

2 club lengths from the point on the ground directly below the point of rest no closer to the hole. Only if the ball is unplayable and can be identifiable.

2 club lengths from the point on the ground directly below the point of rest no closer to the hole. Only if the ball is unplayable and can be identifiable.

I do recall Nick Faldo once climbing a moderately high tree (to positively identify his golf ball).

I do recall Nick Faldo once climbing a moderately high tree (to positively identify his golf ball).

Didn't someone sorta recently, maybe Sergio, climb a tree and hit their ball out of it?

Only if the ball is unplayable and can be identifiable.

This is the catch. You better have a good marking scheme to be able to ID it if it's very far up. I think Rickie tried to use binoculars once to ID his ball and still couldn't positively ID it.

Let's just say he has positively identified the ball, and has decided not to climb the tree to hit it out of the tree!

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

then it would be two club lengths from directly below the ball at rest, no closer to the hole

Back