Shortening Putter Shaft - Changing Swing Weight?

jeege

Average Lefty
Reaction score
Handicap
From my recent fitting I learned that I putt best with face balanced mallets, so I'm looking into purchasing an Odyssey O-Works Versa #7 face balanced putter. Dick's Sporting Goods has a sale going on today for 20% off orders (up to $30), so there's a pretty good chance I'll be pulling the trigger on this one.

The Versa head weighs 350g but only comes in 34" length for LH on their website. My current putter was cut down to 31" and my fitter said that was a good length for me, as I'm a pretty short guy. So my question is how much would shortening the shaft by 3" affect how the putter feels during the putting stroke?

Also if anyone has any experience with this specific putter, I'd love to hear what you thought about it! I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere, feel free to merge if needed.

Odyssey O-Works #7 Versa.jpg

Pretty substantial. 18 swing weight points. Taking off 1" reduces a club's swing weight by 6 points. If you want to add that much weight (36 grams) back on to achieve the same swing weight as the putter at 34", tungsten powder down the shaft will probably be your best bet. That much weight added to the heel side may throw off the balance of the putter though. I would try it without adding anything back and it may be fine for you.

Pretty substantial. 18 swing weight points. Taking off 1" reduces a club's swing weight by 6 points. If you want to add that much weight (36 grams) back on to achieve the same swing weight as the putter at 34", tungsten powder down the shaft will probably be your best bet. That much weight added to the heel side may throw off the balance of the putter though. I would try it without adding anything back and it may be fine for you.

The 36g is good to know. I believe the putter has two 15g weights on the bottom that can be replaced, so I planned on purchasing heavier ones but had no idea what weight to order. Plus the grip I want to replace the stock grip with weighs 15g more.

Have you considered the Stroke Lab putter? They've (theoretically) found the perfect ratio of head to shaft to grip/butt weight in that club so I'd think if you were ordering one at a shorter length, they'd do whatever was necessary to make it work for you. I've never seen one shorter than 33" in stock form, but I putted with one at 32" in Golf Galaxy yesterday. It had a SuperStroke grip on it though so I'm assuming, maybe wrongly, it was pre-owned. The Stroke Lab might be worth a look.

The 36g is good to know. I believe the putter has two 15g weights on the bottom that can be replaced, so I planned on purchasing heavier ones but had no idea what weight to order. Plus the grip I want to replace the stock grip with weighs 15g more.
2 grams of head weight equals 1 swing weight point. Hate to break it to you but the 15 gram heavier weight will take off another 3 swing weight points.

You could put a Tour Lock weight into the shaft just below the grip to make up for the weight lost. Not sure if you can get all 36 grams though.

Have you considered the Stroke Lab putter? They've (theoretically) found the perfect ratio of head to shaft to grip/butt weight in that club so I'd think if you were ordering one at a shorter length, they'd do whatever was necessary to make it work for you. I've never seen one shorter than 33" in stock form, but I putted with one at 32" in Golf Galaxy yesterday. It had a SuperStroke grip on it though so I'm assuming, maybe wrongly, it was pre-owned. The Stroke Lab might be worth a look.

I did take a look at it and was very intrigued. The one I mentioned earlier was almost half of the price of the Stroke Lab, so I was hoping it could be possible to fit to me lol

I did take a look at it and was very intrigued. The one I mentioned earlier was almost half of the price of the Stroke Lab, so I was hoping it could be possible to fit to me lol

You can try, but the 75g shaft in the SL is (theoretically) the key to it all. Gonna be hard to replicate it without that shaft. Good luck!

2 grams of head weight equals 1 swing weight point. Hate to break it to you but the 15 gram heavier weight will take off another 3 swing weight points.

So leaving the stock grip (or putting a new grip on of the same weight) and replacing the 15g weights on the bottom with heavier ones may not necessarily get me back to the exact swing weight, but potentially much closer? I've found 20/25/30/35g replacement weights online.

You could put a Tour Lock weight into the shaft just below the grip to make up for the weight lost. Not sure if you can get all 36 grams though.

I'll take a look into that as well. Thanks!

You can try, but the 75g shaft in the SL is (theoretically) the key to it all. Gonna be hard to replicate it without that shaft. Good luck!

Sounds like I'd need the luck haha thanks for the info!

So leaving the stock grip (or putting a new grip on of the same weight) and replacing the 15g weights on the bottom with heavier ones may not necessarily get me back to the exact swing weight, but potentially much closer? I've found 20/25/30/35g replacement weights online.

I'll take a look into that as well. Thanks!

Sounds like I'd need the luck haha thanks for the info!

The grip you want plus the 35 gram weights should get you real close to the orginal swing weight. Adding 40 grams (20 for each of the heavier weights) of head weight with bump it up 20 swing weight points of the 21 you lost with chopping off 3 inches and going to a little heavier grip.

All that being said, I think swingweight is less important in the putter than any other club.

My current putter was cut down to 31" and my fitter said that was a good length for me, as I'm a pretty short guy.

Which brand- model is your current 31" putter, and do you know its head weight ?

The grip you want plus the 35 gram weights should get you real close to the orginal swing weight. Adding 40 grams (20 for each of the heavier weights) of head weight with bump it up 20 swing weight points of the 21 you lost with chopping off 3 inches and going to a little heavier grip.

I did the math in my head but wanted to ask to make sure it worked out lol. I really appreciate all of the information and help, sox!

I have no idea what my putter swingweight is. If I had to guess I'd say somewhere around I7.

Which brand- model is your current 31" putter, and do you know its head weight ?

Currently playing TM Ghost Spider (2012). I believe the head weight started at 360g but I added 20g (I believe) with the adjustable weights after shortening it from 33" to 31". This was also years ago when I first got into golf and had no idea what swing weight was.

Currently playing TM Ghost Spider (2012). I believe the head weight started at 360g but I added 20g (I believe) with the adjustable weights after shortening it from 33" to 31". This was also years ago when I first got into golf and had no idea what swing weight was.

O.K., so you're reasonably certain your current putter head weight is 380 grams.
I have a couple of questions:
1) which is your current brand-model grip and do you know its weight ?
2) do you like swinging your current 31"-380 gram head putter, does it feel well balanced when you swing it, does the overall dead weight of the putter seem about right, good for you ?
3) most important question.....with your current putter do you consistently strike solid putts, make a lot of putts ?

O.K., so you're reasonably certain your current putter head weight is 380 grams.
I have a couple of questions:
1) which is your current brand-model grip and do you know its weight ?
2) do you like swinging your current 31"-380 gram head putter, does it feel well balanced when you swing it, does the overall dead weight of the putter seem about right, good for you ?
3) most important question.....with your current putter do you consistently strike solid putts, make a lot of putts ?

1.) SuperStroke UltraSlim 1.0 at 65g. Also the same grip I planned on putting on the Odyssey at 15g more than the stock grip.
2.) I like the length but the head feels slightly lighter than I would prefer, so I was thinking the 390g (with added sole weight) on the Odyssey could potentially give better balance.
3.) I feel like I strike the ball well, but have trouble with distance control.

1.) SuperStroke UltraSlim 1.0 at 65g. Also the same grip I planned on putting on the Odyssey at 15g more than the stock grip.
2.) I like the length but the head feels slightly lighter than I would prefer, so I was thinking the 390g (with added sole weight) on the Odyssey could potentially give better balance.
3.) I feel like I strike the ball well, but have trouble with distance control.

Well, considering all the detailed information you've provided, my suggestion is for you to try the new putter at its stock 34"/350 , but with the SS 65 gram grip which you like.
This longer length and lighter head weight might help you to find consistently good distance control.
If after a few rounds at the 34" length you're not satisfied, at that point reduce the shaft length to 33", while still keeping the head weight at its stock 350 grams.
My guess is that either the 34/350 or 33/350 will give you distance control you like.
If you really like that 31" length, and believe it is the best length for you, then you will absolutely need to add significant head weight. But at the same time, a 380 gram or 390 gram head is so heavy that it may harm distance control consistency (which is probably what you've been experiencing with your current putter). So the most sensible solution is to replace the 65 gram grip with a much heavier grip. That is , either one of the heavy grips on the market now, such as Golf Pride SNSR 140cc (125 grams). Or you can add a 50 to 70 gram back weight to a 65 gram grip (like your current SS). The point is that a 380 or 390 gram head weight , for most players, should be counter balanced by an especially heavy grip. The negative to heavy head-heavy grip is that the overall dead weight of the putter becomes very heavy, and some players don't like swinging heavy dead weight clubs.

Well, considering all the detailed information you've provided, my suggestion is for you to try the new putter at its stock 34"/350 , but with the SS 65 gram grip which you like.
This longer length and lighter head weight might help you to find consistently good distance control.
If after a few rounds at the 34" length you're not satisfied, at that point reduce the shaft length to 33", while still keeping the head weight at its stock 350 grams.
My guess is that either the 34/350 or 33/350 will give you distance control you like.
If you really like that 31" length, and believe it is the best length for you, then you will absolutely need to add significant head weight. But at the same time, a 380 gram or 390 gram head is so heavy that it may harm distance control consistency (which is probably what you've been experiencing with your current putter). So the most sensible solution is to replace the 65 gram grip with a much heavier grip. That is , either one of the heavy grips on the market now, such as Golf Pride SNSR 140cc (125 grams). Or you can add a 50 to 70 gram back weight to a 65 gram grip (like your current SS). The point is that a 380 or 390 gram head weight , for most players, should be counter balanced by an especially heavy grip. The negative to heavy head-heavy grip is that the overall dead weight of the putter becomes very heavy, and some players don't like swinging heavy dead weight clubs.

I'll definitely try it at stock to see how it feels before making any adjustments. Out of curiosity, would leaving it at 33" or 34" but gripping down affect how the weight feels or the control consistency?

I do like the 31" in my current putter but mostly just because I'm not very tall by any stretch of the imagination and feel my eye line is in a better spot than with a stock length putter.

I'll definitely try it at stock to see how it feels before making any adjustments. Out of curiosity, would leaving it at 33" or 34" but gripping down affect how the weight feels or the control consistency?

I do like the 31" in my current putter but mostly just because I'm not very tall by any stretch of the imagination and feel my eye line is in a better spot than with a stock length putter.

When you choke down on the 33" or 34" putter the "weight" will likely feel lighter to you. As for control consistency, it is enhanced by choking down. The late great Hubert Green was a sensational putter and his technique style was to actually hold the metal shaft within the fingers of his right hand. His left hand held was placed on the grip but his right hand crept down below the grip to the metal of the shaft.

When you choke down on the 33" or 34" putter the "weight" will likely feel lighter to you. As for control consistency, it is enhanced by choking down. The late great Hubert Green was a sensational putter and his technique style was to actually hold the metal shaft within the fingers of his right hand. His left hand held was placed on the grip but his right hand crept down below the grip to the metal of the shaft.

Good to know! I might try choking down as well. Thanks for your input DG :good:

Good to know! I might try choking down as well. Thanks for your input DG :good:

Also, if you are serious about finding the best putter fit, I recommend buying one of the "putting mirrors" . I have one named "Dave Pelz Putting Mirror", but a few different companies sell essentially the same thing. The benefit the mirror provides is that it let's you see exactly where your eye line falls (relative to the ball), and the mirror also reveals whether your shoulders are square,open, or closed to the target line.
Without the help of a mirror, these two factors (eye line and shoulder alignment) are difficult for a player to accurately see.

@DG_1234, it's entirely possible that @jeege could be my long lost "brother" and enjoy a heavy total weight putter. I'm gaming a putter now with a 550g head weight, ~120g shaft, and a SuperStroke Flatso 3.0 with a 100g butt weight in it. It's lovingly dubbed... the sledgehammer. Surprisingly, distance control is not normally my issue with this setup.

@jeege, good luck with whatever you try.

Also, if you are serious about finding the best putter fit, I recommend buying one of the "putting mirrors" . I have one named "Dave Pelz Putting Mirror", but a few different companies sell essentially the same thing. The benefit the mirror provides is that it let's you see exactly where your eye line falls (relative to the ball), and the mirror also reveals whether your shoulders are square,open, or closed to the target line.
Without the help of a mirror, these two factors (eye line and shoulder alignment) are difficult for a player to accurately see.

I'm currently using a mirror to check those factors! And also had a full bag fitting 3-4 weeks ago to ensure I get lined up properly.

@DG_1234, it's entirely possible that @jeege could be my long lost "brother" and enjoy a heavy total weight putter. I'm gaming a putter now with a 550g head weight, ~120g shaft, and a SuperStroke Flatso 3.0 with a 100g butt weight in it. It's lovingly dubbed... the sledgehammer. Surprisingly, distance control is not normally my issue with this setup.

@jeege, good luck with whatever you try.

From having tried many, many different putter length-weight combinations, my general observations are as follows:

1) traditional weight head (310 to 315 gram head weight) paired with traditional weight grip (52 to 55 grams) offers most players an effective sense of distance control. This putter length-to-weight ratio was common in the golf industry for at least 50 years.

2) heavier heads (330 grams or more) reduce "feedback" and offer a relatively solid sound/feel no matter what is the quality of strike. This is why 20 years ago Cameron putters became popular and why all putter brands soon thereafter changed their putter model (s) standard head weight from about 315 to 330, 340, or 350.

3) once 350 became the industry standard- off the rack putter head weight, heavier grips became common (because a 350 head needs some heavier weight at the grip end to counter balance the heavy head weight).

4) most all avid players have by now come to realize that heavier heads combined with heavier grips do help "stabilize" the stroke for the short distance putts . This is especially true when comparing the heavy putters to the old style relatively light head-light grip putters.

5) the negative aspect of the heavy head/heavy grip putters is that some players find it very challenging to achieve consistent putting distance control.

I think heavy head-heavy grip putters are here to stay, the industry will not be reverting back to the old 310-315 head weight putters. Mostly that is because when one mishits a putt with a 310 head weight putter the harsh sound (negative feedback) is noticeable to the player, and players don't like that.
As with all categories of golf club types, there is always a trade off/compromise to be made by the player. Do players putt better today with 350 gram heads than players 25 years ago did with 312 gram putter heads ? My observation is no they don't make more putts, and they don't putt worse, it's about the same.

Back