Shorten my driver length

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
My secondary driver is a 45.5" Cobra Bio cell while my main driver is 44.5" It seems as though the 44.5" works better for me. I'm now thinking about shortening my Cobra to either 44.5" or possibly 44" Before I shorten it do you think I can get a good read on how it would work out by taking it to the range and simply choking down on the shaft, or will that give me a false read?

It's worth a try. Maybe bring some lead tape to play around with in effort to replicate the feel of the current swingweight.

My secondary driver is a 45.5" Cobra Bio cell while my main driver is 44.5" It seems as though the 44.5" works better for me. I'm now thinking about shortening my Cobra to either 44.5" or possibly 44" Before I shorten it do you think I can get a good read on how it would work out by taking it to the range and simply choking down on the shaft, or will that give me a false read?

If you could find a 3w with the same adapter you could put the 3w shaft in the head and see exactly how it would play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Choking down never really felt that natural to me when moving a full inch. Shortening the shaft for me always helps me find the middle better. Better quality strike means better distance and spin in many cases. If cut it down and then look to add an extension to the butt of the shaft if you need to go back. Shouldn't cost you anything in feel if you have to revert back.

If you could find a 3w with the same adapter you could put the 3w shaft in the head and see exactly how it would play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds like a good idea - that way I can always return the club back to original if it doesn't work out

That sounds like a good idea - that way I can always return the club back to original if it doesn't work out

I played with a 3w shaft most of last year and absolutely loved it... also in regards to choking up I wouldn't recommend it, you would be gripping the thinnest part of the grip and it just feels awkward.

I now carry 4 shafts, 2 are 44" and the other 2 are 44.5. And in terms of swing weight I haven't found that I needed to add any weight back to the head, but also I generally have a pretty heavy shaft to begin with

Last edited:

When I cut down my Rapture V2 a few years ago, it was the best decision I had ever made. But to your point, choking up and playing it after the cut are 2 very different experiences.

When I cut down my Rapture V2 a few years ago, it was the best decision I had ever made. But to your point, choking up and playing it after the cut are 2 very different experiences.

You just reminded me, I've got a 10.5 Rapture. Maybe I will try cutting that one down to 44.5 before I do anything with the Cobra. Might even be able to reuse the grip if I take it off with compressed air.

Just ask @JB ... he's the king of the shortened driver

I shortened my driver to 44.5 and won't go back. Made it so much easier to control.

You can also find used Cobra 3 woods and/or shafts with Cobra adapters on eBay. You could resell that club/shaft or your old shaft and be out very little money.

You can also find used Cobra 3 woods and/or shafts with Cobra adapters on eBay. You could resell that club/shaft or your old shaft and be out very little money.

I have a 3W here at home. I measured the shaft on it and found it to be 2.25" shorter than the shaft on the driver. If I went with the 3W shaft that would then make my driver 43.25" in length. That would be shorter than I want the driver to be.

I have a 3W and here at home. I measured the shaft on it and found it to be 2.25" shorter than the shaft on the driver. If I went with the 3W shaft that would then make my driver 43.25" in length. That would be shorter than I want the driver to be.

Fair enough. You may also be able to find a driver shaft there with the proper adapter at the length you want.

Back