Mizuno Fitting: Would it be crazy to go against the recommendations?

Reaction score
Handicap
Fitter put me into Project X LZ 6.0 for irons/wedges, stock Speeder stiff in the hybrids & Tensei White 70 stiff in the driver. The results were good, I can't argue with that BUT they are so heavy and stiff and I'm worried about the body holding up over an entire round.

I was leaning towards the Modus 105 stiff and Modus wedge shaft, Fujikura Pro and not sure about the driver.

You have to be comfortable with what you're swinging. If they felt too heavy and stiff then I wouldn't get them. If you can be comfortable and get the same distance/accuracy or even lose a couple yards I'd go with what feels good. Especially if you felt you really had to work hard to get results with the project x's.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Get the lz 5.5 basically save but lighter like the modus105 I personally like the lz in either 5.5 and 6.0 but I used to be amodus 105 fan until I played my 5.5 lz just now sturdy for my swing, the 6.0 was good to tbh

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Love my LZ 6.0, but if you're doubting it already, you're not gonna play them well. Get what you feel comfortable with and can strike reasonably well.

If it doesn't feel comfortable than I would not go that route. Lots of options out there and you should try some more and find something that gets you the dispersion you want and the distance.

Was it just a fitter or was it with the Mizuno Optimizer? If the former, then definitely explore other options, and with the latter, it's not an absolute.

Mizuno's list, while good, comes up with a Top 3 then will still provide other options to try. That being said, don't just focus on the 105 since it's light: that shaft is a scaled down version of the 125 which is geared more towards a late release. Just an FYI. I played them for a while and they were decent, but switched to the slightly heavier 120 (which is 114g, by the way) for my earlier release and they feel fantastic. The LZ may be in the same ballpark, so it could be based on what the fitter saw with your particular swing. If you think lighter is still the way to go, bring it up to them and see what else might be suited to you.

Last edited:
Was it just a fitter or was it with the Mizuno Optimizer? If the former, then definitely explore other options, and with the latter, it's not an absolute.

Mizuno's list, while good, comes up with a Top 3 then will still provide other options to try. That being said, don't just focus on the 105 since it's light: that shaft is a scaled down version of the 125 which is geared more towards a late release. Just an FYI. I played them for a while and they were decent, but switched to the slightly heavier 120 (which is 114g, by the way) for my earlier release and they feel fantastic. The LZ may be in the same ballpark, so it could be based on what the fitter saw with your particular swing. If you think lighter is still the way to go, bring it up to them and see what else might be suited to you.

It was with the optimizer. I tried their #1 choice which was the LZ 5.5 and the 6.0 was tighter and longer. The Modus 105 stiff was #9 on the list.

Back