anybody playing driver-5 wood, no 3-wood ?

I've been driver, 3w, 5w pretty much forever. But I'm seriously considering switching to driver, 4w, 3h for the upcoming season. My fairways are pretty old, and getting more modern clubs is a nice excuse to try something new at the same time.

I may ditch fairway woods all together. I never hit mine from the deck and yesterday's launch monitor session is why. I pull them low and left on almost every shot. I hit a similar lofted hybrid much better but still left.

A guy I play with often carries a 5 wood and no 3 wood. But his driver is 13 degrees since his dynamic loft is so low.

Top of my bag is:
Driver 12.5*
3w 15*
2 iron-wood 18*
3 iron-wood 20*
4h 24*

The 2 iw is new so still an experiment. If I hit it better than my 3w the wood will get benched for a while, since I can only hit it off the tee.

I’m experimenting with a 14° mini, 20° Heavenwood, and a 24° 9w for the top of my bag this year. Last year I played mini, 4w, 7w, 3h, and 4h. I often felt that I had too many clubs to choose from on long shots before getting into my irons. Simpler seems like a good direction for me.

I don't think there is any doubt that with today's large fairway wood heads and relatively long graphite shafts , for playing shots off the ground a head in the 17* to 20* range, combined with a 41.5" to 42.5" shaft length, for most players is ideal.
My opinion is that 20 years ago Orlimar's Tri-Metal was the first to introduce a mainstream 43" 3-wood, and soon thereafter every company began offering 43" long graphite shafted 3-woods, setting the path for 3-woods to become extra long distance clubs most suitable for tee box play.

I don’t play fw’s over 42”. Right now my 4w is 41” and my 7w is 40.5”. Any longer and I have a problems with contact (fat) off the fairway.

I used to bag a G25 driver and a G25 4W and was pretty happy with that until I started to struggle with my driver. Now game a D, 3W, 7W and can launch the 3W with around a 15yd gap before my driver. The 3W for me was just as easy to launch and was as consistent as the 4W mind you - they're different brands (Callaway Epic now) and shafts but I'm finding D/3W to be a solid set up for me now. I will occasionally play the 7w which I've lofted down to 19* but it's the 15th club in my bag and feel bad for using it. :)

I will say the 4W, iirc, was maybe a bit easier off the fairway than my 3W but not by much.

I will be going driver - 5w when my 5i arrives. Being adjustable I am either going N/S or N/-1 on the Epic Flash 5w. The other option was to go +2 on the 3w but between the two I’m more consistent with the 5w with only the smallest distance loss on good hits with both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have played driver and then 4/5 wood in the past. Depending on how much swing speed you have you may hit 3 wood to far and close to your driver or if its low might get better distance with a 4 or 5 wood.

Really all depends on what you are looking for at that section of the bag.

I have played driver and then 4/5 wood in the past. Depending on how much swing speed you have you may hit 3 wood to far and close to your driver or if its low might get better distance with a 4 or 5 wood.

Really all depends on what you are looking for at that section of the bag.

As I look at my stats for last year I think this may just be me. My 3W encroached on my Driver and sat twiddling it's thumbs for the better part of the year. I'm actually thinking I may put the 3W on the pine for a bit to see if I notice anything. Only thing is, I'm not sure what I'd sit it on the pine in favor of... Maybe I'll try the 2nd driver idea that JB and other's favor....

I've been Driver - 5 wood for years. Just got a 4 wood so it'll be D-4w-Hw... maybe a hybrid, I need to see where gapping is these days between the Hw and 5 iron...

Rapture Mini Driver 13°/ Titleist 915F 5W.Most stable combo I`ve ever had.:clapp:
keeps me out of trouble most of the time. my drivingused to be erratic with the old Driver/4+ Wood setup.

Yup, I do.

I honestly don't get much more distance out of my 3W than I do my 5W when I hit one or the other off the tee - and I'm far more confident with my 5W. I get it great off the deck and I really love it coming out of the rough; which lets me go after my driver a bit more on par 5s and not be too bummed if I miss the fairway.

Even when I was just driver/3W ... I barely ever hit my 3. If I needed to lay back off the tee; I'd go with my 3H.

Might be going driver, Then Rogue 18* at 42". It's Longer than my XR16 Pro 16* and easier to elevate so why not if I get a bit better distance and softer into greens. Swapped the Diamana D+ 80 out of the XR16 and installed the Rogue and it appears to be a match made in heaven for my swing.

Have to wait and see if it's still just the honeymoon or if it continues.

Surprised to see I’m not the only one that doesn’t get along with their 3w. I simply can’t hit fairway woods for some reason. So I go driver 18* alpha 815 hybrid, then 22* GBB hybrid.

The 815 alpha has a low penetrating flight for a hybrid, once I found this club my 3w has sat in the garage.

Back