anybody playing driver-5 wood, no 3-wood ?

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
I like playing 3 wood off the tee boxes. From the fairway, unless the lie is level and just about perfect, I rarely swing a 3-wood.
I am considering changing up my bag set up to have driver, then 5 wood, and after that either a hybrid or driving iron.
My thinking is that the modern 5-woods have such long shafts, and relatively low lofts, that today's 5-woods strike the ball nearly as far as a 3-wood, so maybe the 3-wood is not necessary.
Anybody here no longer carry a 3-wood ?
All replies welcome.

I carry Driver, a 17* fairway, and 20* hybrid. The 17* would actually be a 4-wood, and the 20* hybrid would be a 3 with a bit (1*) more loft than many. I've just always hit a 4-fairway better than a 3, with little or no difference in distance.

I have carried Driver/4wd before, but, for some reason, I don't get along with the 5wd much. I'd think if you're good enough to square up a driver that you should be good enough to square up a 3wd reasonably. You should get more distance out of a 3wd than a 5wd. I think a modern 5wd may hit as far as an older 3wd, but definitely not as far as a same generation 3wd.

Yeah I do that some. My course has par 5s that my drive ends up on a downward slope... 3 wood launches too low so i use 5w instead. Other times i carry 5w if i need that yardage (225) for dogleg tee shots. Just depends on the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 3w is a HL model further lofted up, coming in at 18degrees. Still a typical length 3w shaft. The resulting franken wood fits my yardage gaps nicely.

I play driver, 3i. I don’t have fairway woods anymore, and can’t for the life of me hit a hybrid.

I struggle with the newer 3 woods that have a flatter sole. I really like the sole to have more of a v shape to it for hitting off the deck. This is even more true when the lie is uneven or out of light rough (I never hit a wood out of deeper rough or other lies).

I have a very nice 3W and 5W but I currently don't use my 3W or my 5W. My next go to club in my bag after my driver is my 3H.

I hit driver (11.5*), 5W (set at 16.5*), 3h (19*), although I use the 5W so infrequently I could probably remove it from the bag and not notice.

I don't carry a 3W. I went to a 4W in 2014 and haven't looked back. I get almost the same distance as a 3W off the tee and more distance off the deck than a 5W.

I used to have a 3w and while I could hit it good off the deck it just wasn't consistent off the deck, this year I have the 5w though will adjust it to a loft more of a 4w, last year was first time in a while I carried a 3w instead of 5w, I'm way more consistent with a 5w either off tee or the grass than the 3w.

Although I don't use it as much as my 5 wood due to the distances I need to achieve at my course, I do carry a 3 wood. I actually use the 3 wood fairly often to get out of trouble. Choke down on it and hit low bullets to get out of the trees and a decent distance down the fairway. It is also about the only club in my bag that I can fade at will.

You bring up the biggest dilemma in my bag. The 3 wood slot. I do carry a 3 wood but it’s usually there to hold my head cover. I never use it off the tee. If it’s a tight shot I’ll pull out the 3H. The only 5W I was ever able to hit consistent was a Powerbilt 5 wood. As in real wood with three brass inserts. Lol.
Have heard the newer 4W or 5W goes as far as older 3W. If that proves correct and I can hit the darn thing with any consistency then will opt that way.
Driver 210-230
3H 180-190
So need that 200ish off the deck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like playing 3 wood off the tee boxes. From the fairway, unless the lie is level and just about perfect, I rarely swing a 3-wood.
I am considering changing up my bag set up to have driver, then 5 wood, and after that either a hybrid or driving iron.
My thinking is that the modern 5-woods have such long shafts, and relatively low lofts, that today's 5-woods strike the ball nearly as far as a 3-wood, so maybe the 3-wood is not necessary.
Anybody here no longer carry a 3-wood ?
All replies welcome.

I carry driver, 3w, 5w. I use the driver and 3w off the tees, and my 5w for most fairway shots in to par 5's. Rarely do I swing the 3w from anything other than the teebox.

My next fairway wood is going to be a 5-wood length fairway wood...whether that means a de-lofted 5 wood or a shortened 3-wood depends on fitting, but I need consistency more than I need distance at this point.

I'm thinking about it, but I'm currently so please with both the 3w and 5w... that and I'm unsure where I would add another club... maybe 2nd driver if I 86'd the 3

Interesting discussion --

Most 5 woods I've seen (but I haven't looked in a year) are 18 degrees. I could see someone going 43 inches in a 5 wood to make it more like a HeavenWood.

But I have a 16.5 4 wood and 18 degree 5 wood - and have sufficient separation between the two with both at 42.5 inches. I think it depends on what you want - I am launching the 16.5 higher this year, and may try a 15 degree - my decision will depend on carry and the flight window. I like carrying a distance wood like a 15-17 fairway, and a 5 wood (18-19 deg) as an approach wood that gives me great height, proper descent and will stop on the green.

But for a single fairway, a 43 inch 5 wood would be intriguing - you could grip down if needed.

I play driver, 3i. I don’t have fairway woods anymore, and can’t for the life of me hit a hybrid.

This should change very soon.

My next fairway wood is going to be a 5-wood length fairway wood...whether that means a de-lofted 5 wood or a shortened 3-wood depends on fitting, but I need consistency more than I need distance at this point.

For my swing and game 43" shafted clubs are fine from the tee box. Off the ground , especially is the lie is sloped or in any way less than ideal, playing a 42" or 42.5" seems to be significantly easier than 43" length.

I play driver (8.5°) 4/5 Wood (17°) hybrid (21°)

This setup covers all the shots on the top end I'm comfortable with hitting.

For my swing and game 43" shafted clubs are fine from the tee box. Off the ground , especially is the lie is sloped or in any way less than ideal, playing a 42" or 42.5" seems to be significantly easier than 43" length.

I think you're correct - you'll have better consistency at a shorter length - I've toyed with 1 inch separation between 3,5, 7 woods in the past.

If I have a ball that is far above my feet, forget the heroic fairway shot - I'm getting a shorter club or I'm going to punch a fairway. Heck, maybe a punched driver for loads of roll.

Last edited:
I carry driver(10.5*), 3w(15*) and 5h(25*). The hybrid is for rescue/rough. I don't struggle 3w of the deck but I'm pondering either 5w or 3h to close the gap. Not sure which one, but I have a feeling that I cannot manage without 4th wood(w/h). Could probably manage choking 3w as well, so... This is all speculation, haven't tested this setup on the course yet. Winter, grrr.

driver 11.5, heavenwood 21.5 is next, steelhead xr a little deeper faced than some works fine for me

I often play rounds without touching my 4 wood essentially using driver (10.5*) and 19* hybrid. I think the gap between driver and fairway wood/hybrid is the least important spot in your bag.

Back