Does anyone use a 5 hybrid?

Hello all!

I have an issue. I play old clubs, and though I hit the 7-8-9 wonderfully, when I get down to the 5 the club gets so thin that I just can't seem to square the face or make consistent ball first contact. I use shot scope and when I look at approach shots I hit the green 4% of the time with my 5 iron (and it's a common club to use into greens on the par 3 courses I play when I'm short on time). It's not just the distance either, compare that to my 4 Hybrid, that I hit 16% of greens with, and my 6 iron I hit 18% of greens with. These are hardly tour numbers, but it shows that the 5 is constantly worse.

It's clear that my 5 iron is not working for me, but what's even worse is my ball contact, it's not a consistent miss. I get fat, thin it, and slice it. Every other club I have a little draw with, but not the 5.

So, I'm bidding on a Ping G 5 Hybrid to match my 3 and 4. I was wondering if anyone has replaced their 5 iron? What did you think about the results? What were the advantages, what were the disadvantages?

Thank you,
Whiskey

I dropped my 5i for a 5 hybrid.
Not because I couldn't hit the 5i....
but because my swing speed had gotten to the point where I could hit my 5i only about 5 yds further than my 6i.
So it became a gapping issue.
I've had good results with my 5 hybrid - glad I made the move.

I play either a 5w or 3h (20*) and always bag a 4h (23*) and 5h (26*). My 6i is also 26* but the added shaft length and ease of launch from the 5h makes it gap well with the 6i.
I usually hit my 5h about 167-175 depending on conditions and 6i is usually 155-160. Play to around a 9-10 handicap.
If the hybrids I play had a 29* hybrid I would game it too.

Greens in reg with each club:
4h - 38%
5h - 52%
6i - 44% - this is why I have a love hate relationship with this club. I keep trying to replace it but can't find a high lofted hybrid that I don't usually pull long and left. I usually draw the ball and for the life of me can't turn over my 6i. Usually pushes off to the right.
7i - 53%
8i - 57%

My recommended bag set up by my fitter at #TheGrandaddy was Apex 5h in place of the 5i. I probably get a little more distance and higher ball flight than I think I would get with the 5i and the hybrid fills the gap between my 6i and 5w very nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, Apex 5H. Love it.

Whisky,

It sounds like a swing flaw. See a pro for some instruction. If you have a six iron, the swing for the five iron is the same. Try playing your five iron right center of your belly button or hitting down like your 7i on down. If your swing is off, 5h is not going to help.

Whiskey - you've got 20 yr old irons. They've progressed a bunch - you can find 3 yr old irons at low cost that will give you higher launch, better feel, and more forgiveness. It's a suggestion. Several preowned sites exist, chief among them is callawaypreowned.

Until recently, I used a 5H - still have it but not in the bag as my swing has improved and I prefer an iron for more accuracy. I may use it if I adjust the loft down to 23. But I do use a 4H at 22 degrees. I go back and forth on getting a more forgiving 4i or working on the 4H.

But good luck - enjoy the 5H; at one point I also used a 6H.

Whisky,

It sounds like a swing flaw. See a pro for some instruction. If you have a six iron, the swing for the five iron is the same. Try playing your five iron right center of your belly button or hitting down like your 7i on down. If your swing is off, 5h is not going to help.

Thank you for the comment Mike Beeee. I have no doubt that the problem is due to a swing flaw. On the range I can hit this club straight 50/50. I've played for two years, my handicap is 20. I'm in a great program where I'm able to do group practice sessions with my instructor every week (when it's not raining). Still,... I'm a slow learner when it comes to this sort of thing, so I'm tying to get around the course until I learn to hit the longer clubs.

Whiskey

Whiskey - you've got 20 yr old irons. They've progressed a bunch - you can find 3 yr old irons at low cost that will give you higher launch, better feel, and more forgiveness. It's a suggestion. Several preowned sites exist, chief among them is callawaypreowned.

Until recently, I used a 5H - still have it but not in the bag as my swing has improved and I prefer an iron for more accuracy. I may use it if I adjust the loft down to 23. But I do use a 4H at 22 degrees. I go back and forth on getting a more forgiving 4i or working on the 4H.

But good luck - enjoy the 5H; at one point I also used a 6H.

You have a good point here Desmond. I have had random students let me hit their clubs but it's hard to tell from hitting a few ballsi with misfit clubs. My boss gave me the clubs I have and I told my wife that when I drop to a 15 handicap then I will want to get fit for a new set of irons. I say that because I'm still making signifigant swing and posture changes and I don't want to get fit for clubs that won't work in a couple months. My instructor is also a certified club fitter and he told me that although my clubs are not perfect, they are reasonably well fit for me.

I could pick up any black dot pings and be in the same place, and I will consider that as an option.

Whiskey

Even though I hit my 5-iron well I picked up a 5H just for the heck of it. It's very easy to hit but I prefer the ability to flight 5-iron. The 5H just wanted to go one way (high) unless I would catch it thin. Good club, can certainly see its benefit. If I were struggling with 5-iron, I'd turn to it in a second.

I have 5h (25*). I got it to replace 4i (23*) in my bag. It's a higher launch than my 5i(26*) and also longer. So it gaps pretty good and I have an opportunity choose 5i for lower flight and 5h for higher and easier launch. So it's not a direct replacement for 5i, but adds versatility to that range and gives me overall confidence for my bag.

I play a 5 hybrid and don't see me going back to a 5 iron unless its a driving iron type... I have the speed to hit a 5 iron for proper gaping with my 6 iron a 190 yards, just doesn't launch as consistently. D-plane wins, and the weight pulled off the face makes it a point and shoot 5 hybrid along with the 4 hybrid. I have thought about trying to get my hands on a 6 hybrid to match what I have just for the experiment.

I wanted to share some data.

I got my new (used) G400 26 deg 5 hybrid in the mail a couple days ago and I took it to a par 3 course today that has holes between 100 and 200 yards. I didn't have time for a full round, but this gave me 4 chances to try out my new club.

I use shot scope that tracks every shot I make. The chart I'm about to share shows data from the last 5 rounds with every 5i hit. The shots in the red circle are my new 5hy.

As you can see, in the last 5 rounds, I have not managed to get a single shot with my 5i closer than I got all 4 with my 5hy today. And that's without any warmup or range time with it:
5 iron by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

I honestly could not be happier.

BTW,... those two shots in the center ended up being birdies. :banana:

Whiskey

I wanted to share some data.

I got my new (used) G400 26 deg 5 hybrid in the mail a couple days ago and I took it to a par 3 course today that has holes between 100 and 200 yards. I didn't have time for a full round, but this gave me 4 chances to try out my new club.

I use shot scope that tracks every shot I make. The chart I'm about to share shows data from the last 5 rounds with every 5i hit. The shots in the red circle are my new 5hy.

As you can see, in the last 5 rounds, I have not managed to get a single shot with my 5i closer than I got all 4 with my 5hy today. And that's without any warmup or range time with it:
5 iron by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

I honestly could not be happier.

BTW,... those two shots in the center ended up being birdies. :banana:

Whiskey

Wow. That’s a keeper for sure
My buddy usually plays 4/5/6 hybrid setup. He’s been through about every recent model (Epic Star, XR, XR OS, Rogue, M2, 915, 910, F6 and I’m sure some I’m forgetting). He’s settled on the G400’s. Loves em.

I use a 5 hybrid (26*) and a 6 hybrid (30*). I love them and wouldn't switch back to irons for anything.

Judging by range session today I need a 5H. For whatever reason 5i and 6i are difficult for me. I think it's setup or something. Maybe it's mental. I hit 4i better (I carry a 4H though). I hit 3W and driver better. No issues with 7i-9i.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

This was my constant bag battle for 2018. 5iron or 5hybrid. I hit my hybrids better and at a demo day I hit the 5hybrid ok, nothing great.

What I didn't like was the loft/look, it was like the face was pointing upwards towards the sky, probably to promote the ball going high. The 3&4 hybrid look pretty square at address.

I hit the Big Bertha Ocho once a few months back and the face is super pointed towards the sky. Just don't like it.

With all of that said. If you're looking for better launch I would say the 5hybrid is your bet.

One thing people might consider if they are wavering between a 5 iron or hybrid is the new Cobra F9 5 iron. The irons can be ordered individually. I am finding that this iron, which is lofted at 23.5 degrees, but can be ordered one degree strong or week, is a really good compromise between an iron and hybrid. It seems about as easy to hit and elevate as a hybrid, but with more iron-like precision.

One thing people might consider if they are wavering between a 5 iron or hybrid is the new Cobra F9 5 iron. The irons can be ordered individually. I am finding that this iron, which is lofted at 23.5 degrees, but can be ordered one degree strong or week, is a really good compromise between an iron and hybrid. It seems about as easy to hit and elevate as a hybrid, but with more iron-like precision.
That's something I might try, because I've never been real confident with a regular 5 iron.

5 irons have come a long ways since the late 1980's when I first started playing, but it is the perfect position where a transition to a hybrid is a perfect solution for many of us, especially when not practicing much anymore.

I have a Srixon Z565 5 iron that used to sneak into the bag sometimes, but not at all recently since the G400 5h (I got a few months ago) is just too easy to hit high and straight (even though it doesn't roll out as far). I like the hybrids so much i've also moved to a single sand wedge setup as well to make room for more!

I use a 5 hybrid but also a 5 iron as that work out the gaps properly - I play 3,4,5 Hybrid and rarely carry any fairway woods at all

A 5 Hybrid is rarely a one for one replacement for a 5 iron. A different lighter head with more then likely a different loft, along with a longer lighter shaft is going to much longer then most 5 irons. A 6 or even a 7 hybrid might be the correct replacement for most.

There are some exceptions; I was fitted for a 5 hybrid in my JPX EZ Forged iron set. The JPX Fli-Hi hybrid head was the same loft and head weight as the 5 iron along with the same 5 iron shaft. I didn't like the high flight and purchase the 5 iron after. The 5 iron flew much lower, but went the same distance. I liked everything about it, except I wasn't as consistent with it and ended up back with the Fli-Hi in the bag.

I do play an oddball F8 One 5 hybrid as I have the bag room. It's has the 7 iron shaft length and guess what, 7 iron distance, but it's a great trouble club, so I try and keep it in the bag.

I 100% agree with Desmond above; you'd be much better off investing in new irons instead of a 5 hybrid.

I have a Tour Edge Hybrid that I love

When I’m hitting it well my ‘19 Apex 5h fills the gap between my ‘19 Apex 6i and Flash 5w perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back