Does anyone use a 5 hybrid?

Wiskey

GRINT 12.7
Reaction score
Handicap
12.7 Grint
Hello all!

I have an issue. I play old clubs, and though I hit the 7-8-9 wonderfully, when I get down to the 5 the club gets so thin that I just can't seem to square the face or make consistent ball first contact. I use shot scope and when I look at approach shots I hit the green 4% of the time with my 5 iron (and it's a common club to use into greens on the par 3 courses I play when I'm short on time). It's not just the distance either, compare that to my 4 Hybrid, that I hit 16% of greens with, and my 6 iron I hit 18% of greens with. These are hardly tour numbers, but it shows that the 5 is constantly worse.

It's clear that my 5 iron is not working for me, but what's even worse is my ball contact, it's not a consistent miss. I get fat, thin it, and slice it. Every other club I have a little draw with, but not the 5.

So, I'm bidding on a Ping G 5 Hybrid to match my 3 and 4. I was wondering if anyone has replaced their 5 iron? What did you think about the results? What were the advantages, what were the disadvantages?

Thank you,
Whiskey

Hello all!

I have an issue. I play old clubs, and though I hit the 7-8-9 wonderfully, when I get down to the 5 the club gets so thin that I just can't seem to square the face or make consistent ball first contact. I use shot scope and when I look at approach shots I hit the green 4% of the time with my 5 iron (and it's a common club to use into greens on the par 3 courses I play when I'm short on time). It's not just the distance either, compare that to my 4 Hybrid, that I hit 16% of greens with, and my 6 iron I hit 18% of greens with. These are hardly tour numbers, but it shows that the 5 is constantly worse.

It's clear that my 5 iron is not working for me, but what's even worse is my ball contact, it's not a consistent miss. I get fat, thin it, and slice it. Every other club I have a little draw with, but not the 5.

So, I'm bidding on a Ping G 5 Hybrid to match my 3 and 4. I was wondering if anyone has replaced their 5 iron? What did you think about the results? What were the advantages, what were the disadvantages?

Thank you,
Whiskey

Welcome to my world! If I wasn’t even more inconsistent with hybrids I would already have a 5 hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like it's time for a 5H. :act-up: I've gone back and forth between a 5H and 5i. I've had a lot of success with my current 5i, so it'll stay, but should it go south at all, I'd have no qualms about picking up a Big Bertha 5H.

I wouldn’t think twice about a 5 hybrid, if I were in your shoes. I am a fairly solid iron player and I played a 5 hybrid for most of last year. It is not as precise as a 5 iron for me, but the misses are much less penal.

A friend of mine has hybrids all the way down to the equivalent of a 7-iron. If a 'hybrid 8-iron" was available he would probably have that in his bag as well. This guy is a fine player, he regularly shoots 72 or better on full length championship courses.

I use one on and off. The issue I have is the same as with any spot the irons end and the hybos start. The hybo is a club longer thus creating a big gap between it and the 6 iron. Can we put a word in somewhere to make 15 or 16 clubs legal?

Would a 5H replace a 5 iron or would you want a 6H? I would think that the 5H would go to far and create gapping issues. Can you hit either a 5h or 6h to see the yardages?

I bag an Apex (original) 5 hybrid sometimes. Gives me the same max 180 yard distance as my 5 iron. We have had a lot of wind lately so it has not been in the bag for a while. Hit the sucker really high which obviously does not play well into the wind.

I carry 22 and 26 degree Ping I25 hybrids, basically, 4 and 5 hybrids. Both are easier to hit than my 6 iron. The only disadvantage to a high lofted hybrid is trajectory control. Your shots will go high, which, in most cases are a good thing.

A friend of mine has hybrids all the way down to the equivalent of a 7-iron. If a 'hybrid 8-iron" was available he would probably have that in his bag as well. This guy is a fine player, he regularly shoots 72 or better on full length championship courses.
There are a few hybrids all the way down to PW and likely SW.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have played a 5h before. I don't get along with it nearly as well as my 4h. Not sure why, but I'm gaming a 5i now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I play Callaway Epic 3 - 20*,4 - 23* and 5 - 26* hybrid and start my irons at 6 - 26* I find the hybrids much easier to get consistent strike, distance and line than any longer iron I have gamed. The hybrids do tend to fly higher but they still produce predictable distance and I can swing easier to cover the same yardage (read as ball contact is more consistent so yardage is also) It appears you like the Ping g 3,4 hybrids so I would think the 5 would be a no brainer... It never hurts to give it a try.

I played one for about three seasons. Callaway Apex, gapped perfectly distance wise as a direct iron replacement.

I dropped the 5i a few years back. haven't missed it.
The 6i might be on the endangered list soon.

Tried one and I couldn't flight it low enough for those few and far between situations. Still use a 5i to go under stuff

I was having trouble hitting my 5 iron until I began playing with ball position. Once I moved my ball slightly forward of middle I began hitting it better. I have to do the same with a 4 and a 6 iron as well. Sometimes a simple adjustment makes a world of difference.

I tried to put a 5 hybrid in the bag a couple of years ago, but didn't have much success. I struggled with direction and distance control more than with my 5 iron. With the 5 hybrid I had trouble with high, spinny shots that would lose a lot of distance. For some reason I don't have the same problem with my 4 hybrid.

Yup, I use an Apex 5h.

I not only have a 5, but a 3, 4, 6, and 7.

They fit me and my game well. 3 is good for 200, and down from there. My 7 goes north of 150, which is what I need after my 7 Iron.

Yep Game the new BB Hybrids 3,4,5 and then a 7i due to the lofts on my Irons.

I play Callaway Epic 3 - 20*,4 - 23* and 5 - 26* hybrid and start my irons at 6 - 26* I find the hybrids much easier to get consistent strike, distance and line than any longer iron I have gamed. The hybrids do tend to fly higher but they still produce predictable distance and I can swing easier to cover the same yardage (read as ball contact is more consistent so yardage is also) It appears you like the Ping g 3,4 hybrids so I would think the 5 would be a no brainer... It never hurts to give it a try.

I play a similar setup with the Epic 4 and 5 hybrids. For whatever reason just not as confident and consistent with the 5 iron, when I switched into the 5 hybrid, long second shots on Par 4’s and layups on 5’s became more consistent. Probably shaved at least 2-3 stokes per round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't use a 5 hybrid, but on the weekend I got fit for irons and I can hit 6 iron no problem, but for some reason the 5 iron and I are inconsistent. My fitter handed me a 5 hybrid and it was point and shoot. I have always been able to hit hybrids well, so for me it was a no brainer.

My favourite club in my old bag was a Ping G5 22 degree hybrid with an Aldila NV stiff shaft, so you won't go wrong picking one of them up.

I should mention I was a little apprehensive about going to a 5 hybrid because of my ego, but I'm 44 now, and I just want to score better, and with this club in the bag it will give me a way better chance to find the green than with my 5 iron.

If you're interested, I got fit into the new Big Bertha 4 and 5 hybrids, and went Mizuno Hot Metal 6-gap. I was fit on Trackman to get the #s down, and then went outside to hit about 20 balls to check the ball flights.

I seem to go against the tide. I found that I hit my 5i more consistently from fairway bunkers and out of the rough than I did my hybrids. My latest set eliminates hybrids entirely, carrying an extra fairway wood and 5-AW irons. Now if I could only improve my wedge play... (It's always something)

I used a 5 hybrid for a long time, but moved off of them with my CF-1 set. That 5i was the easiest one to hit and really enjoyed it.

Yup, I use an Apex 4h and a Apex 5h. Gaps fine with my 6 iron.

Back