How much would it run me to swap shafts in two sets of irons?

weeicemon

Reaction score
Handicap
If I wanted someone to simply swap the shafts, would would that run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I wanted someone to simply swap the shafts, would would that run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hard to say. Gonna depend on the shop. I'd guess $10/club. Maybe less, doubtful more.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If you are going to a big-box shop, it will probably be a bit pricey (maybe 15/club). You'll probably be charged for removing each individual shaft, then probbly for a re-epoxy or assembly cost for each club. I'm sure a non-bigbox may be a bit cheaper, but it is actually a fair bit of work (pull heads, clean hosels, clean inside of shafts, clean outside of shafts, glue all heads). Are you looking at having both sets swing-weight matched? If, so there will be more labor/maerial costs. It is time consuming if done properly, hence the cost.

Are they both taper tip or both parallel tip? What sets are we talking about?

If you are going to a big-box shop, it will probably be a bit pricey (maybe 15/club). You'll probably be charged for removing each individual shaft, then probbly for a re-epoxy or assembly cost for each club. I'm sure a non-bigbox may be a bit cheaper, but it is actually a fair bit of work (pull heads, clean hosels, clean inside of shafts, clean outside of shafts, glue all heads). Are you looking at having both sets swing-weight matched? If, so there will be more labor/maerial costs. It is time consuming if done properly, hence the cost.
I agree with this. Also have to make sure the two sets are the same tip (parallel vs taper) as that will complicate things further. Overall, for 6 clubs in each set, I wouldn't be surprised to see a bill for $200, easy, and it take at least a week.

If the quote gets as high as $200, I think that's be enough for me to buy a heat gun, some ferrules, and some epoxy to do it myself. If we're talking about steel shafts in both sets, this is the perfect beginner's job to learn how to do a little work yourself.

If the quote gets as high as $200, I think that's be enough for me to buy a heat gun, some ferrules, and some epoxy to do it myself. If we're talking about steel shafts in both sets, this is the perfect beginner's job to learn how to do a little work yourself.

Absolutely. This is what got me into it, swapping out 8 shafts with another THPer and not wanting to shell out an extra $15 per club. I've saved money 5x over since I made the plunge. Well...maybe.

Absolutely. This is what got me into it, swapping out 8 shafts with another THPer and not wanting to shell out an extra $15 per club. I've saved money 5x over since I made the plunge. Well...maybe.
Yeah, but I've probably spent more on a few things than I would have if I didn't build my own stuff.

I started to put together the necessary items for me to do my own club work. Since I don't have everything I need yet I just spent $110 to have a shop reshaft 4-PW.

I think I paid $10,xx/club to install shafts and new ferrules at my local range shop.. 4-pw

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Don't bother with a heat gun - get a propane torch. If you have a shaft puller, it's a different story, but if you use a rubber vise clamp to hold the shaft, you'll just want to crank up the heat fast so they come out easy. Then you'll have to clean and prep the tip, which means drilling out the old epoxy and generally blowing it out with compressed air from the grip end. Finally, you have to turn down (blend) the ferrule once the job is complete. Not hard, but it's a process, so you have to decide on what your time is worth.

Don't bother with a heat gun - get a propane torch. If you have a shaft puller, it's a different story, but if you use a rubber vise clamp to hold the shaft, you'll just want to crank up the heat fast so they come out easy. Then you'll have to clean and prep the tip, which means drilling out the old epoxy and generally blowing it out with compressed air from the grip end. Finally, you have to turn down (blend) the ferrule once the job is complete. Not hard, but it's a process, so you have to decide on what your time is worth.
Virtually no chance if scorching a head with a heat gun. I turned a few with a torch. It can be done, but since I moved to a heat gun, I've never looked back.

Like others have said, basic pull/install should be around $10 a club. If you want them swing weighted and re-gripped it's usually more like $15-20 + the cost of the grip.

I think the last set I had done cost me $185 to pull the old shafts and install new shafts/grips. That was like 3 years ago. I've done all my steel shaft club work myself since then.

Virtually no chance if scorching a head with a heat gun. I turned a few with a torch. It can be done, but since I moved to a heat gun, I've never looked back.

If you are experienced with the torch for other projects like automotive work, plumbing repair, etc., it's easy to pull shafts without any issue or scorching. Guess it isn't for everyone if your mechanical skills are lacking.

If you are experienced with the torch for other projects like automotive work, plumbing repair, etc., it's easy to pull shafts without any issue or scorching. Guess it isn't for everyone if your mechanical skills are lacking.
He, not so much lacking in mechanical skills, but I don't pay attention to some things like I should (confirmed by MrsOG). I could do it either way. I guess I just prefer the hest gun since it provides a larger margin for error and is quick enough.

I think the last set I had done cost me $185 to pull the old shafts and install new shafts/grips. That was like 3 years ago. I've done all my steel shaft club work myself since then.

If you can do steel, you can do graphite. Get one of several entry level shaft pullers and have at it.

Back