A Patch or Legit Fix for the Toe Miss?

CobraX51

F-ck Yeah Baby!
Reaction score
Handicap
Freddie what's up man. One of my last few questions and the responses to my other inquires have been helpful...

Here's the deal. My miss on my irons/wedges has been the toe, it just is, especially off the deck. On a tee it isn't that big of a deal or problem, probably because it's pegged up.

Alright so hear me out. I know conventionally you want to set your club behind the ball in the center of the club face. When I do that is when I just miss on the toe. Perhaps it's the downswing, not extending enough, I don't know. I feel I have a decent distance from the ball to extend my arms and not fold up...

So I experimented with something and last round was just a great ball striking day off the deck for me. I still have my target and setup to where I want to hit it...

But I'd set the hosel of the club behind the ball, or very close to the heel/hosel part. Now before you think I'm a total nut job, I wasn't on the toe, it was more center, or if it was towards to the toe, I'm still on the grooves of the clubface and not the chrome part.

Can this be consistent? I don't mind one bit. I was even hitting around the center of the club face and not the bottom 2 grooves, weird I know. Or is this just a temporary fix on a slight swing flaw at some point during the swing?

If it works for a few more rounds, stick with it. I mean Luke Donald set up for a hosel rocket all the time when he was world number 1

Adam Scott has also set up on the hosel at times. It would scare me but if it works it works

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Adam Scott has also set up on the hosel at times. It would scare me but if it works it works

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

+1
a.png

I would say go with it. There are times I have the "heel miss" I do the complete opposite

If it works for a few more rounds, stick with it. I mean Luke Donald set up for a hosel rocket all the time when he was world number 1
93civiccp said:
Adam Scott has also set up on the hosel at times.
I did not know that, that's cool. And considering those are 2 of my favorite golfers and known for great ball striking, I'll continue to roll with it, especially with the results from Sunday.

Freddie what's up man. One of my last few questions and the responses to my other inquires have been helpful...

Here's the deal. My miss on my irons/wedges has been the toe, it just is, especially off the deck. On a tee it isn't that big of a deal or problem, probably because it's pegged up.

Alright so hear me out. I know conventionally you want to set your club behind the ball in the center of the club face. When I do that is when I just miss on the toe. Perhaps it's the downswing, not extending enough, I don't know. I feel I have a decent distance from the ball to extend my arms and not fold up...

So I experimented with something and last round was just a great ball striking day off the deck for me. I still have my target and setup to where I want to hit it...

But I'd set the hosel of the club behind the ball, or very close to the heel/hosel part. Now before you think I'm a total nut job, I wasn't on the toe, it was more center, or if it was towards to the toe, I'm still on the grooves of the clubface and not the chrome part.

Can this be consistent? I don't mind one bit. I was even hitting around the center of the club face and not the bottom 2 grooves, weird I know. Or is this just a temporary fix on a slight swing flaw at some point during the swing?

This is me and I set up near the hosel to compensate as well. I think my arms magically shorten up in the swing haha.

Mind you, this is just for me but it has helped a couple of golfing buddies who had a similar issue as to mine.

My forever flaw was hitting off the toe. Not merely just a flaw as it was my usual contact. Unable to fix it, I'd make it a point to find clubs to help mask it.

Forgiveness off toe strikes was paramount for me with all clubs. For example, I played the Mizuno MX-200 irons specifically because of the extra mass placed toward the toe.

I very accidentally found my cure and it's no stretch to call it a cure as for 2.5 seasons now, I'll only hit toward the toe a few times per round, if any.

Very simply, I removed tension from my right elbow (I'm right-handed) over one iron approach shot from the fairway of #2 at my course and not only did I hit the most pured shot I may have ever hit before, but I flew the green. I repeated the simple set-up and repeated the results all round, I was absolutely giddy about it. Guarded though, as we've all found temporary fixes that only later proved to have been a fleeting tease. But for me, it proved to be no tease at all because the results have held steady ever since.

Working it backward in my mind at the time, I theorized that when my right arm was more rigid, it prevented or at least delayed my elbow from properly collapsing and tucking in toward my hip. This resulted in an outside the line takeaway and encouraged a slight OTT move into the ball.

With tension released from my right elbow, I instantly felt my takeaway to feel much better as the elbow hinged and encouraged a straight to inside path. In better sequence and position, my downswing was instantly more efficient and effortlessly more powerful through the ball.

Freddie's the man and could likely diagnose your issue from a video. I'm surely no instructor, just a guy figuring it out as I go.

To be fair, its helped a couple friends but only because I noticed their elbows similarly rigid and less than efficient backswings. I've also witnessed others who suffer toe hits yet set up with what appears to be a tension free right elbow and decent takeaway yet still come OTT some. So as always, YMMV.

If it works, stick with it for a while. TONS of people line up to the ball off the toe of their irons and hit it really well. I line up with the ball off the toe of the driver myself, once my position is set, I put the club head directly behind the ball and pull the trigger. It’s what works for me...

It’s a patch but if it works, who cares?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a patch but if it works, who cares?

I don't care at all but each time I think I find *something* with the golf swing it's just a temporary fix when all I want it is consistency haha

Have you had the lie checked on your clubs? If the toe miss is that consistent, it sounds like a lie issue. I'm no expert but you're compensating for a flaw in the lie you MAY be creating a whole new swing flaw. Just food for thought, brother.

I have this same issue so looking forward to any tips.

Have you had the lie checked on your clubs? If the toe miss is that consistent, it sounds like a lie issue. I'm no expert but you're compensating for a flaw in the lie you MAY be creating a whole new swing flaw. Just food for thought, brother.
I was 1* flat last year. I hit these clubs with the impact tape on the clubs at standard lie and hit them well.

Don’t think it’s the lie angle, just my downswing something happens. Either way, I’ll roll with it again on Sunday and see how it translates if it was just an aberration or something I can consistently do without even thinking about it.

I get the shanks on occasions and my best fix for it is to feel like I am going to hit the ball on the toe of my iron.
It usually results in a pretty solid strike!

Golf is a game of patchwork.
If something goes wrong during your round, you have to find a way to calm it down to keep your score down.
I say keep the micro-adjustment if it's working. Hitting your target is hitting your target. Simple!

Cobra, what you did will work for now and I’m glad you found a fix. I’d ride this fix until it another is needed. I know pros that line up off the hosel and strike it in the center of the face. So your fix isn’t a bad one but just know your swing will change over time. The pros swing, not so much.

I too tend to miss on the toe. Lining up on the inside of the face toward the hosel has helped me also.

Back