An annoying habit my golfing partner would say about me

millsan1

I've figured this game out! Oh wait, no I haven't
Reaction score
Handicap
14?
I figured I would flip the script from the other thread.

Time for some honesty.

What is something(s) about you, your golfing partner(s) would say?

I'll go first:

I practice a lot. I do well in practice. I will tell everyone about my practice. Then I will get on the course and crap the bed.

I talk to myself a lot, after a bad shot. Not loudly, but I will berate myself when I make a stupid mistake. You will hear "Oh, Anthony, Anthony, Anthony" coming out of my mouth when I am mad at me.

I smoke. I make every effort to not smoke near others, and I pocket my butts, but it is gross.

When I hit a good shot, I tend to say "That's the one!"

I can have really good days and really bad days. When I play in my league, and have a good day against a good player, they don't like it much.

Man, I am annoying.

Haha, I was thinking about this while ragging on my buddies in the other thread. But my buddies aren't shy to tell me what they think, so I already know some, most of which I've corrected. I didn't realize this until a buddy pointed it out two years ago, but I was SO slow on the greens. I brushed it off the first couple times I heard it, until my buddy literally recorded my routine, and I was like, "damn, I'm slow." So I fixed that.

I'm sure I was pretty miserable to golf with the second half of the year last year too. After herniating a disc, I kept trying to play, which was dumb. I could barely stand and my swing was broken. Once I finally started feeling better, my swing just got worse. I'm STILL battling this OTT move I developed while injured that results in toe hooks. I complained a lot of "why can't I just find my swing...," so I'm sure that got annoying fast.

My personal commentary as to why I think I mess up a shot.

I talk to myself a lot, especially after a bad shot. Quite a bit of cussing if it's an especially bad shot.

That I am just so damn good looking! JK
Commentary after bad shots. I hate doing it but it just happens.

The other thread had me saying to myself, "This is probably why I enjoy my solo rounds". I don't keep a handicap so none of this affects "posted" scores and I rarely keep track of my score for a full round.

Cons:

I hit extra balls
I may gently slam a club (never on the green)
I talk to myself (and argue with myself...mostly internally)
I talk about what shot I was trying to hit
I talk about what shot you're trying to hit.
I'll tell you exactly why I hit a bad shot
I like to take pictures and videos of myself and my playing partners and send to them after the round.
I move on the teebox
I talk on the teebox
I move on the green
I talk on the green
I talk about my swing
I talk about your swing
I give advice
I look for balls
I fire "junk" balls off into the woods to try and get a feel for my swing
I'll ask to borrow a club
I'm sure I park on the wrong side of the ball (i'm a righty and when I address the ball I want to have the cart in front of me)
I don't mark my ball on the green. If i'm in someones way i'll putt it real quick and miss or just pick it up
I show up to the tee box putting my 2nd shoe on as we are about to tee off (although I have gotten better at this)
(i'm sure there are many more)

Pros:

I never hold up my playing partners when on the course
I'm all about having a GREAT time
I bring beer for everyone!

My personal commentary as to why I think I mess up a shot.

Ditto!! That and fussing at myself. I always tell myself I am going to work on it, but I by a few holes in I am right back to it.

Probably that I get too technical and overthink things. For the record, I don't. It's probably the same level of technical focus and course management that all of us on here utilize. But my playing partner/best friend is very "see ball hit ball" and the most UNtechnical golfer on earth. My "technical" approach in his eyes is something as simple as saying "didn't quite turn my hips through on that one" or "ah damn hit down on it too much." Something seriously as simple as that. But if I asked him this question (what annoying habit do I have), I'm 100% sure that's what he'd say - too technical and overthink shots/conditions.

For the record, this dude is my best friend of 19 years and is the absolute most fun to play golf with!

I walk too quickly. I'm sure I make some of my normal partners feel like they have to keep up, which is not my intentions, I'm just more of a hurry up and wait type person.

Taken too many photos maybe. Love to talk about the course and scenery, especially somewhere I've never played before.

Haha nice thread. I'd say a little over a year ago my annoying habit would be taking a little long to swing the golf club, that has since been improved and much better.

Today? I've been told I'm a terrible driver of the golf cart. Always flooring it, sometimes it's a bumpy ride, accidentally going thru hanging trees/branches.

Don't like it? Then you freaking drive. I don't care one way or the other.

The other thread had me saying to myself, "This is probably why I enjoy my solo rounds". I don't keep a handicap so none of this affects "posted" scores and I rarely keep track of my score for a full round.

Cons:

I hit extra balls
I may gently slam a club (never on the green)
I talk to myself (and argue with myself...mostly internally)
I talk about what shot I was trying to hit
I talk about what shot you're trying to hit.
I'll tell you exactly why I hit a bad shot
I like to take pictures and videos of myself and my playing partners and send to them after the round.
I move on the teebox
I talk on the teebox
I move on the green
I talk on the green
I talk about my swing
I talk about your swing
I give advice
I look for balls
I fire "junk" balls off into the woods to try and get a feel for my swing
I'll ask to borrow a club
I'm sure I park on the wrong side of the ball (i'm a righty and when I address the ball I want to have the cart in front of me)
I don't mark my ball on the green. If i'm in someones way i'll putt it real quick and miss or just pick it up
I show up to the tee box putting my 2nd shoe on as we are about to tee off (although I have gotten better at this)
(i'm sure there are many more)

Pros:

I never hold up my playing partners when on the course
I'm all about having a GREAT time
I bring beer for everyone!
Sometimes you bring cookies or brownies!!!

My lack of patience!!!! I know it, I've always been this way, and at my age, I'm not going to change. Fortunately I also get over things quickly, so if my lack of patience causes me to get irritated about something, it's over with in pretty short order and forgotten about, so it's not like these little irritations ruins my day.

Oh yeah, and on the positive side, I'm always the one that brings the beer too!

"Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?" Some of the things that come out of my mouth, are shall we say, different than your standard 4-letter word. I have my own fun-filled language when it comes to my golf. Just ask @JohnSinVA or @ChristopherKee .... they can tell you some good ones. :act-up:

I don't keep score and it drives one of my regular partners NUTS!!! I don't just care how many strokes I take per hole. I'm out there to have fun and have a pretty good idea if its a good or bad golf day.

I also talk to myself constantly and make bad movie references the whole time...

Largely don't have to worry about it now but my buddies used to rib me for forgetting to pull the pin.

I'd usually be the first to retrieve a pin but prior, even when standing closest, I'd either be daydreaming or so focused upon my own putt and forget to pull or tend for others. They used to specifically ask for me to pull or tend, whatever the situation called for. Eventually it just became, "uh... Billy" or, "dude!" and I'd snap to attention and reflexively respond.

Oops!

Main ones I do:

Always need help finding my ball in the trees. I try to track the right tree after a shot but once I get closer to them I always forget which one.
My driving could be better as I sometimes forget to watch the other cart to see when to stop and pay attention. Plus I never get the speed right around a turn or break at the right time.

I've been told that I walk ahead too much. Ready golf to a fault I guess.

I've also been rightly accused of stealing honors on the tee box, but I only do it when Captain Honors is busy playing with his Arcoss or otherwise dicking around.

That I am just so damn good looking! JK
Commentary after bad shots. I hate doing it but it just happens.

So it's your lack of humbleness that your golf partner would say annoys him the most?

That I take the game to serious at times and not serious enough at other times.
That I am playing to fast, I hate not keeping pace.

I hate when others think they have the power to dictate what pace I play. I don't like pushing those ahead of me, and if I am being pushed from behind then please feel free to play through. I'm retired, I'm not in any hurry

I play classic country music in my cart and I am a “little” high strung

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I let the pace of play dictate my mood at times, except during league night. I am in no hurry to get home on that night.

I talk to myself a lot, especially after a bad shot. Quite a bit of cussing if it's an especially bad shot.
Same here. I'm sure my partners get tired of me dropping f-bombs after many poor shots. lol

I tend to give a very colorful description of myself and my golf game in general after a particularly bad golf shot.
I've been told I'm grumpy.
I don't talk a ton on the course.
I've made an attempt to get better at these things so I don't make playing partners think I'm a dick.

Back